tipping specifics

grandmkmk

I have searched and haven't been able to find a thread that is specific about how much to tip - unbelievable since this is such a hot topic, up there with 'saving chairs' and 'smoking or not'. My DH and I have been on two cruises and have not tipped extra, just the 'prepaid' amount the cruise line tacked on. On our first cruise we didn't see anyone tipping their waiters, just bartenders or those serving drinks. But on the second one, last year, everyone else at our table shook hands with the wait staff and tipped them. Now I am learning how very little these employees earn and so rely on tips - naive I know, sorry. Anyway, when a cruiser is pleased with service when and how much should he tip in addition to the $10 bucks or whatever that is shared by all? I realize tipping is a very individual decision, but I really have no idea what is reasonable, what is toooo cheapo, and what would be appropriate for great or excellent service. Any advice?

For my Cabin Steward if I request extra I will tip an extra $10-20 depending on what he/she has done for me. One Cabin Steward always beat my to my door (I'm disabled) so he got an extra $50.00 (15 day cruise). This one also go the Housekeeping Staff to change some light bulbs that blew and put up a thingy in the shower so I could reach the shower head on my own (I travel by myself).

We prefer to tip in cash, so that we know that our servers won't have to have the tip "pooled". They appreciate cash as well, since they don't have to wait until their next pay date to recieve it. (These folks send most of their money home to their family) We do tip higher amounts IF the service is above and beyond what we expect. Most of the time, it is.

Mentioning their name and good deeds often helps them financially too. On some lines the cabin steward with the most good mentions will get a cash prize. I believe it is so for waiters and busboys too.

Minimally it goes into their personnel file. So an extra tip and a good word are priceless.

Fran

Archived