How far in advance should I do my waxing?

luckyprincess

Hi Ladies,

Sorry, no time to search - I'm at work(I know, bad girl!:eek: ). I am going to get a full leg and brazilian bikini wax before the cruise. I only ever shave, really, so I'm hoping not to have to do that during the cruise in the tiny shower! My question is, I don't want it to grow back too quick, but I know from getting waxed before that some really do. I was thinking of getting it the day before I fly out. But, I am flying out a day early and plan on jumping in the ocean the next afternoon, then being in saltwater at the beaches for my cruise.

Is that bad for my skin? I would think getting waxed and then hopping in saltwater less than 24 hours later (plus tanning) would maybe hurt or do you think I'll heal by then? I can't remember what happened last time sensitivity wise.

Thank you! I'm trying to book now at the salon!

If you've never had it done before, prepare for pain! The 1st time really hurts! How often do you have to shave? That really determines how fast it will grow back! I can shave twice a day--and waxing only works for a few days, for me! (My hair and nails grow like weeds!!!) There is also the possibility of ingrown hairs and bumps! You should probably get this done well ahead of time, and see what your results are. If you like it and it lasts, then do it for the cruise. Otherwise, you're risking a very uncomfortable time on your vacation!

If you've never had it done before, prepare for pain! The 1st time really hurts! How often do you have to shave? That really determines how fast it will grow back! I can shave twice a day--and waxing only works for a few days, for me! (My hair and nails grow like weeds!!!) There is also the possibility of ingrown hairs and bumps! You should probably get this done well ahead of time, and see what your results are. If you like it and it lasts, then do it for the cruise. Otherwise, you're risking a very uncomfortable time on your vacation!

Thanks, CB. I had the full thing done a couple of times (twice) and yeah, the pain is crazy! I shave once a day - I have to shave once a day, I should say. It usually lasts about a week, week and a half, last time. I plan on doing some good exfoliation after and using tendskin, which I LOVE! Really cuts down on the ingrowns. I only have two weeks, don't think I'll be able to get it done twice in that time......hmmmm.:o

I'm hoping to go the day before the cruise. I find that the saltwater and tanning don't hurt because I don't cut myself like I do when I shave. Plus, I've never gotten ingrown hairs or anyhting like that from waxing, just a lot of pain. But if you take a couple Advil about an hour or so before hand, it does help somewhat.

I got mine done the day before and it worked out perfect. I started getting regular braz. wax done 4 months out. One thing to be careful of is using a tanning bed two days, one day or the day of your wax. You can have an adverse reaction to the wax if you have used a tanning bed right before you wax so plan ahead. I love the braz. wax and will always get them done. Frankly I hate getting my lip waxed more than anything else.

I'm sorry, but I can't understand how you ladies get through a brazilian? (I've never had 1 ). Utter pain, exposing your bits, all in the name of vanity? AND you gotta pay for that? No thanks, I'll shave!!!

Haha! I love the term 'bits', so funny! But who says its vanity?? It feels great - nothing like wearing silk or satin against smooth skin, no gross stubble - that's not somewhere I want a 5 o'clock shadow:eek: , less hair in the long run and yes, I love the way it looks.:D

I'm sorry, but I can't understand how you ladies get through a brazilian? (I've never had 1 ). Utter pain, exposing your bits, all in the name of vanity? AND you gotta pay for that? No thanks, I'll shave!!!

Ok...Everyone's pain tolerance is different. I would glady get my whoo hooo wax anytime over my lip. Lip hurts so much worse for me. But everyone is different. The lady that does mine has many years of experience and that also makes a difference.

I could care less about exposing my bits, they are profesionals that have a job to do just like a OBGYN. Really no big deal to me.

Vanity has nothing to do with it for me. The results are great. Silky smooth, long lasting, no stubble and oh the sex is sooooooo much better. Bring on the O's :D

Never got my lip waxed, but I did get laser on my upper lip. The first time, it really hurt, now it's not so bad. And it is relatively permanent, just need a slight touch up every now and then. But it hurts more when the hair is longer and darker, so I am not even considering getting a bikini lasered. But if someone has a high pain tolerance, it's an almost permanent solution. Only you'd have to do it a while before you cruise, as you have to stay out of the sun.

As fas as exposing my bits, I go to this Russian woman who I doubt could care less about my bits. And she is not at all shy about it either. But I remember the first time my sister had one, the scream could be heard down the block.

I have thought about getting a brazillian. DH would love it, but I am a wimp. After having 4 children, I know my pain tolerance (ZILCH!!!). Has anyone who has had a bikini wax ever used the home waxing kits (on legs??) I am curious how the pain level compares. I have tried those (pretty ineffective) and they hurt, but it was tolerable. Is the bikini much much worse>?? I could get past the vanity/embarassment if I knew I could tolerate the pain. But I am scared I will pass out or cry ro scream! DH is an anesthesiologist and I keep joking that I'll get it done if he puts me to sleep first!

J

If you've had four children you know pain!

I've never found getting a brazillian bad. The person I go to now is fabulous and the entire thing is over with in about 20 minutes. The technician could care less about your body; they've seen everything. I don't find it really painful much at all. You will not scream!

You are right, your DH will probably love it and you may wonder why you waited so long. Make an appt. at a good, reputable salon, and take a couple of Advil before you go.

I have thought about getting a brazillian. DH would love it, but I am a wimp. After having 4 children, I know my pain tolerance (ZILCH!!!). Has anyone who has had a bikini wax ever used the home waxing kits (on legs??) I am curious how the pain level compares. I have tried those (pretty ineffective) and they hurt, but it was tolerable. Is the bikini much much worse>?? I could get past the vanity/embarassment if I knew I could tolerate the pain. But I am scared I will pass out or cry ro scream! DH is an anesthesiologist and I keep joking that I'll get it done if he puts me to sleep first!

J

Props to you for FOUR children :eek: . I won't have one of those because I know it will HURT. I find that getting my legs waxed is way, way worse than the bikini area. With the brazilian, it was maybe 5 or 6 strips, really. The legs, well, I am half Italian and half Irish, so my legs get five oclock shadow. Dark, thick hair and it takes forever to wax it. But really, once its done, I feel better and I'm just kinda..hot, maybe a little stinging, but not in pain. Its just when they are actually pulling it off, you know? Go for it! It just Can't be worse than childbirth!:p

For those of you waxing vets, you can save a few dollars by doing it yourself; if you're so inclined. I went to a salon the first 5 times - so I could get it done right - but also to learn exactly what happens during the procedure. Then, on another forum I frequent, I learned of a home sugaring recipe that works expertly.

This is it:

Mix 1/2c white sugar, 1 tbsp water, 1 tbsp lemon juice

Bring to a bubble, then reduce heat to low until it turns amber or brown and is about as thin as honey. Dip in a spoon and let it cool; the mix should be thick like molasses, and should leave a dent if you poke it with your finger. It will form fine filaments like cotton candy. (It's basically sticky taffy-like candy).

This will yield more than enough to get the job done. The real trick is keeping the solution warm enough to apply but not so warm that you burn yourself. I pour the mix into a glass cocktail sauce cup and then simmer that in a pot of water. It took a few attempts to find the right setting. I apply the sugar with a butter knife and use an old cut up t-shirt for waxing strips.

Having had the experience in a professionsl salon, I know exactly what I should be feeling. It takes a little effort to get everything - nothing a mirror and a little patience doesn't overcome - or you can opt for a willing assistant.

Unlike many salon waxes, this solution doesn't adhere to skin so you don't have to worry about removing anything except the hair.

Repsol

Well, yes and no. I did suffer through several hours of "uncomfortable" labor with each of them, but I also had an epidural. I think I will go for it...what is the worst thing that can happen? I leave half-waxed because I can't tolerate it?!?!

Well, yes and no. I did suffer through several hours of "uncomfortable" labor with each of them, but I also had an epidural. I think I will go for it...what is the worst thing that can happen? I leave half-waxed because I can't tolerate it?!?!

This thread is just what I've been looking for. I have decided to go ahead with my first Brazilian. I have been putting it off for a while now and going to do it. I do have a few questions though for those who have had it done before, and sorry if TMI:

How often do you need to go to keep it "maintained"?

Does your hair have to be a certain length before getting it done?

Thanks!

Look at it this way. At least you will have tried and then, everytime you want your DH to do something for you and he hesitates, you can work the tears up in your eyes and softly say, "remember the brazillian I got for you." :)

You will be fine!

This thread is just what I've been looking for. I have decided to go ahead with my first Brazilian. I have been putting it off for a while now and going to do it. I do have a few questions though for those who have had it done before, and sorry if TMI:

How often do you need to go to keep it "maintained"?

Does your hair have to be a certain length before getting it done?

Thanks!

Couple other tips for you:

Buy a little loofah sponge (usually $1-$2 at grocery store) and some feminine cleanser. Use everyday to exfoliate the area. This helps prevent in-grown hairs.

Also buy a product to use on the area that also helps prevent in grown-hairs. I use bikini saver and love it. I have heard several people mention other products as well. You should be able to purchase this where you get the wax done.

Make sure you find a place to get it done that you feel good about. I can tell you from personal experience!

Expect to pay around $55.00 or more. Mine cost $65.00 and I get it done at a spa. Cheap usually does not bring good results....at least in my experience:).

Most of all, just relax when you get it done. The results are wonderful! My husband loves it so much he always pays for every other one :) .

Archived