The Diff Btwn Single and Solo

tiki23

I don't understand why people immediately assume that because I want to travel without my husband and family that I want to go "single." I will be wearing my wedding ring. I will not be having heated affairs. I will be by myself, getting some true R & R.

When we travel anywhere, I am the planner and executor. It doesn't matter if it's Disney World or a camping trip - I'm in charge. Partly because I'm an organizer and can't help it .... and partly because no one else IS in my family. (I suppose that makes me the enabler.:p )

I like to travel by myself because I really can relax. No trying to keep everyone together or getting them to the meeting point on time or does everyone have their pass. No herding cats, in other words.:D

Phew....Sorry....I had to vent; I just got off the phone with an inlaw who was wondering about my travel plans.:rolleyes:

I don't understand why people immediately assume that because I want to travel without my husband and family that I want to go "single." I will be wearing my wedding ring. I will not be having heated affairs. I will be by myself, getting some true R & R.

When we travel anywhere, I am the planner and executor. It doesn't matter if it's Disney World or a camping trip - I'm in charge. Partly because I'm an organizer and can't help it .... and partly because no one else IS in my family. (I suppose that makes me the enabler.:p )

I like to travel by myself because I really can relax. No trying to keep everyone together or getting them to the meeting point on time or does everyone have their pass. No herding cats, in other words.:D

Phew....Sorry....I had to vent; I just got off the phone with an inlaw who was wondering about my travel plans.:rolleyes:

Wow....sounds like they stressed you out...glad we could help:)

And you go girl....if you want to travel on your own, you

go for it!!!!

After reading your post I can tell you I have not had in-laws

in almost 30 years......LOL....no stress here;)

I think its wonderful that you are able to do that. I think the destressing helps your marriage. Wish I had done that! Now I travel solo because I am single. But I am not usually looking to hook up, just looking to relax too. I would prefer any hookups be near to home. However, being solo does have advantages and disadvantages. My cruise to Alaska alone was one of the best trips I have ever had. I met many more people being alone than if I had been with friends or family. So enjoy and keep it up!:)

LOL!

Sorry, I didn't mean to be that intense. :o

Ya, inlaws, what do you do?

I had a blast with my family when we went to Disney World in December. The 5 of us plus we took my Mom along. I just need some "me" time. :)

I'm a solo cruiser... the first thing people ask when I tell them I'm going alone is, "Oh, a singles cruise?" Then I have to explain, nooooooo.... just going solo.

I happen to be single, and maybe someday will try a singles cruise if Mr. Right doesn't sweep me off my feet. But even if he does, I would have a hard time cruising with someone else after experiencing how great it is to go solo.

When people really seem to not get it, I explain it like this... Every day I am something to someone else. I'm a mom, a chauffeur, a sister, a daughter, an employee, a co-worker, a meeting planner, a maid, a cook, a friend, the list goes on and on and on. Add wife in there and WHEW!!! For one week, every now and then, this is my way to just be Tammy.... and to just BE! We all deserve that!!!

So the next time your in-laws get grouchy about it, just tell them your Latin lover, Raul, is waiting in the bubble bath and hates to be kept waiting. LOL!!!!! :D

I'm probably the luckiest girl. Last year, I found a last minute DEAL (a real one) and DBF couldn't come (work) but he told me to go anyway. His family thought it was great I was going by myself, that I ''rocked''. Maybe it wouldn't have been the same if I had not asked him to go with me in the first place but since it's him who declined, nobody said a bad word about it. I must admit that DBF got a little worried just before the cruise but I told him that I wasn't going there to find someone (first time I was going without him but he does it for work all the time) I reassured him and it was OK. When I came back, I told him right away that he didn't have to worry about what I did, that I was respectful to him at all times and he relaxed right away, he is such a nice guy.

I'm new on here but the last cruise I took I met a girl who loves to cruise solo and she said she only pays a 10% penalty (Cruise price plus 10%) to have a cabin by herself.

Then I met a girl who lives in Jacksonville and she said she goes cruising every couple of months by herself and never pays a ser-charge for a singles room.

What am I missing, I took my 89 year old Mom and she doesn't remember half the trip plus I spent the whole time coddling her so I wasn't a happy camper. I'm looking to go on several cruises but not if I have to big double fares. Does anyone have any info on it. I think cruising alone is relaxing, comfortable and for anyone married or single.

Thanks for hearing me out.:confused:

If you want strange looks and questions, go to areas of the world that aren't used to seeing women alone. I've been to places like Nepal, Bangledesh, India, Tibet and the Middle East and they just seem to have no comprehension of women who prefer to travel alone. I remember one time in Kathmandu, a man asked where my husband was and said he was sorry that he obviously died. I told him that I didn't have a husband and he just couldn't comprehend that. Same for the Middle East. I wanted to buy a necklace in Oman and one man wouldn't sell me anything until my husband approved. Thank God we live in a country that doesn't look at women the way other countries do.

I'm new on here but the last cruise I took I met a girl who loves to cruise solo and she said she only pays a 10% penalty (Cruise price plus 10%) to have a cabin by herself.

Then I met a girl who lives in Jacksonville and she said she goes cruising every couple of months by herself and never pays a ser-charge for a singles room.

What am I missing, I took my 89 year old Mom and she doesn't remember half the trip plus I spent the whole time coddling her so I wasn't a happy camper. I'm looking to go on several cruises but not if I have to big double fares. Does anyone have any info on it. I think cruising alone is relaxing, comfortable and for anyone married or single.

I hear there are some single cabins on some boats. I've looked for the last 2 years and have yet to find one, no matter how far out into the future I look. From what I've found, Carnival has about the lowest single supplement. I almost don't even like to call it that because it's still such a great deal to me. On some lines you pay straight double, on Carnival, about 150% of the pp rate. But going solo, it's really easy for them to upgrade you, too, because it's just one person, no groups to split up, etc. If you haven't cruised solo yet, I say GO FOR IT! Especially after tending to your mom on the last one, you'll understand the true meaning of VACATION!!! :)

jp2001~ Give that dbf a big kiss... sounds like a keeper!

Hi:)...I have no idea where that gal only had to pay 10% extra

to have her own cabin......not on the mainstream lines anyway.

I know the high end luxury lines might have a very low supplement

but the price of the cruise is more than I can afford anyway

so the low supplement does not help me.

And as for no supplement at all? I have never, ever

heard of that.....on any line. Maybe she works as a consultant

or something to get such a low price.

I love to cruise and always go solo....I choose to the pay price,

whatever the supplement happens to be.

My last cruise had 0% single supplement but that is very, very rare, only when they have big problems filling a ship (I cruised for 386$ tax and port charges included AND was upgraded to a full unobstructed window... I'm a lucky girl I guess).

You might find a very rare special for a 110% supplement, but most lines are 150-200%. HAL, on the other hand, routinely has 143% for oceanview rooms and 187% on balcony rooms.

Silversea (W-A-Y out of my price range :D ) has some single fares for 110% on select sailings if you book early. Most times they still end up being more than the double fares you'll pay on less expensive mainstream lines.

I've found the best single fares on Carnival and Holland America.

Roz

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I've been pretty lucky with the responses I get when people find out I'm travelling solo. Mostly people just tell me how brave I am and how they couldn't do something like that. But then I'm also single so I guess that prob makes a difference too! My line is that if I waited until my friends or family were willing to go with me, I'd never go anywhere! And it's true but I prob also take after my mum cos she did a lot of solo travel when she was my age so if anyone understands it she does and she always tells me not to care what others say if they're being negative about my travelling solo!

But like the OP, I'm also not travelling solo with the idea of being a "single" either. I've had a few people make comments about me having "fun" on the trip which I can't understand, I'm not that kind of person at home, why would they assume I was that kind of person on holiday?!?

Oh well, C'est la vie! That's my 2 cents!

Yeah, all my friends ask if its a singles cruise when I tell them I am cruising by myself. They then want to tell me how I should "hook up" with someone. Like the previous poster, I am not a player at home, why would I try to be on my vacation?

So, to go back to the original name of this thread, is there actually a clarification between the two (solo vs. single)? I am not in any relationship and will be cruising by myself, but meeting someone is not on my "to do" list. Does that make me single or solo?

Yeah, all my friends ask if its a singles cruise when I tell them I am cruising by myself. They then want to tell me how I should "hook up" with someone. Like the previous poster, I am not a player at home, why would I try to be on my vacation?

So, to go back to the original name of this thread, is there actually a clarification between the two (solo vs. single)? I am not in any relationship and will be cruising by myself, but meeting someone is not on my "to do" list. Does that make me single or solo?

Hi Coach:) it makes you smart:D......I am on my own as well

and have the same attitude as you. Not in any relationship and

never cruise with that intent:eek:.......I cruise because I LOVE IT.

It really doesn't matter as long as you are happy with things!

I have a fairly good life, a paid for condo, a stable job (been with

the same company 17 years)...having a partner is just not in

the cards for me and I am just fine with that!

Enjoy your own life and have a great cruise:)

To very quickly see the difference between the two, cruise on over to the Single Cruisers' forum and browse through a couple of those threads! You'll see that most of those folks are definitely lookin' to hook-up, whereas most of us here are NOT.

QUOTE]

I loved your post so much. I take care of my darling husband who is 86 in March and is a lot of work. I took my first solo cruise 2 weeks ago and it was the BEST gift I could have given myself. I hope to do it once a year. I too am the organizer and enabler in our family and have to always do all the planning. It was so wonderful to not have to answer to one other human being for 5 whole days. I'm 64 and want to make it to 65 and this was such a great stress reliever. Every woman should be forced to do it once in her lifetime. LOL

I'd define you as both single and solo, but just not interested in "hooking up".

The way I see it: Solo is a condition of how you are travelling. If you're travelling on your own, you're solo, plain and simple. Single is a state of being -- if you're not in a relationship, you're single.

As for "hooking up", as someone put it, I've been on cruises where people who were definitely NOT either single or solo were looking to "hook up", and people who were single were not. So I don't necessarily assume singles are looking to hook up or vice versa. That's a third status. (maybe Available? Looking? Horny? :p I can't think of a one word answer which fits all the possibilities...)

Me, I'm unabashedly going on my next cruise solo, single, and at least somewhat open to the idea of "hooking up", even though that isn't a big priority...

• 5 months later...
I guess I've been pretty lucky with the responses I get when people find out I'm travelling solo. Mostly people just tell me how brave I am and how they couldn't do something like that. But then I'm also single so I guess that prob makes a difference too! My line is that if I waited until my friends or family were willing to go with me, I'd never go anywhere! And it's true but I prob also take after my mum cos she did a lot of solo travel when she was my age so if anyone understands it she does and she always tells me not to care what others say if they're being negative about my travelling solo!

But like the OP, I'm also not travelling solo with the idea of being a "single" either. I've had a few people make comments about me having "fun" on the trip which I can't understand, I'm not that kind of person at home, why would they assume I was that kind of person on holiday?!?

Oh well, C'est la vie! That's my 2 cents!

Now thats a fellow Aussie if I ever heard one. I reiterate your entire post. From experience of course

Archived