Criteria for skipping Coco Cay?

Naismith

We've never missed Coco Cay on our previous trips to the Bahamas, but we know it happens a lot this time of year. Has anyone been told what the criteria is for making that decision? Is it simply a matter of wind speed & direction, or do other factors enter in? Any idea of the cutoff numbers or direction?

Also, for trying to figure out the possible conditions, what is the nearest real island name for which a weather report can be obtained?

I know that we'll have a great time no matter what, but my husband is a nerd and likes figuring out that kind of thing.

We've never missed Coco Cay on our previous trips to the Bahamas, but we know it happens a lot this time of year. Has anyone been told what the criteria is for making that decision? Is it simply a matter of wind speed & direction, or do other factors enter in? Any idea of the cutoff numbers or direction?

Also, for trying to figure out the possible conditions, what is the nearest real island name for which a weather report can be obtained?

I know that we'll have a great time no matter what, but my husband is a nerd and likes figuring out that kind of thing.

The decision is the Captain's alone and therefore TTBOMK no written criteria is available. DH needs a different hobby :)

The criteria the captain considers is wind speed and direction as well as current strength and direction. Its not the ship that is affected but the tenders. They captain has to consider these 2 forces of nature on a tender boat (which is immensely smaller than the cruiseship!), whether the tender can get through the little channel they blasted through the rock safely and whether passengers can board the tender shipside safely. If your husband wants numbers...have him email RCI Marine Ops and ask what the limits are for the CocoCay tenders.

It is true that the captain has sole discretion. However, if you want to check the forecast, here is a cool website to check out - Magicseaweed.com. http://magicseaweed.com/Central-Caribbean-MSW-Surf-Charts/42/swell/in/

This is a surf site that forecasts winds and swells in the ocean. I watched it the last couple of weeks and it was correct in the forecasts. We were at Coco Cay last week, and the conditions were right on. The week before, it showed high swells and they did not make it to the island.

Look in the area just to the right of Florida. If the swells are in the blue colors, it will be great conditions. Green is maybe and if it is yellow or orange, forget about Coco Cay for that day. You can look at the winds too. As long as the colors stay out of the oranges and reds, it should be ok.

It is true that the captain has sole discretion. However, if you want to check the forecast, here is a cool website to check out - Magicseaweed.com. http://magicseaweed.com/Central-Caribbean-MSW-Surf-Charts/42/swell/in/

This is a surf site that forecasts winds and swells in the ocean. I watched it the last couple of weeks and it was correct in the forecasts. We were at Coco Cay last week, and the conditions were right on. The week before, it showed high swells and they did not make it to the island.

Look in the area just to the right of Florida. If the swells are in the blue colors, it will be great conditions. Green is maybe and if it is yellow or orange, forget about Coco Cay for that day. You can look at the winds too. As long as the colors stay out of the oranges and reds, it should be ok.

That is awesome!!! But...where is CocoCay on the map, lol

This is amazing, and very much along the lines of what we wanted.

Thanks so much!!

So are there more reliable months for getting to Cococay? How about the last week of February, when we are scheduled to stop there for the first time???? I know there is no guarantee, just wondering if There are better months than others?????

So are there more reliable months for getting to Cococay? How about the last week of February, when we are scheduled to stop there for the first time???? I know there is no guarantee, just wondering if There are better months than others?????

We were there the last week of February on Majesty in 2007. We had to wait half an hour to board the tender boats because a fierce squall blew up out of nowhere and blasted us like crazy, but in half an hour or forty minutes the sun came out and we went to the soaked island.

The weather was absolutely lovely, but about 12:30 the sky started to turn black and threatening. We hurried up and ate the BBQ and hurried for the tender boat. We weren't quick enough. As soon as we got out of the cove, lightening was striking aorund us and rain poured down like crazy. We were all soaked, especially the folks on the top layer of the tender boat.

We were really glad to get back to the ship even though we were wet and cold. Unfortunately the heavy rain kept up for several hours and almost everyone who came back from the island were soaked. But lo and behold, just as the ship prepared to leave, the sun came out beautifully.

In spite of that experience we are scheduled to sail on Majesty again at the end of this February. I have high hopes we will be luckier this time.

It's also known as Little Stirrup Cay.

Here is a link to a satellite map.

http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/id/4572/Bahamas//Not_Appicable/Royal_Caribbeans_Cococay

We've had good luck getting there is September and March ... but the weather has always been calm. I don't think I'd get into those tenders if the seas were rough! There's a fairly small entry into the bay with the dock, and there isn't a lot of leeway for rocking and rolling.

Our waiter told is that if Coco Cay is missed, they have a Sea Day, or to Freeport or Nassau early.

Probably:

Majesty 3 nite: Sea day while heading to Nassau early (if there is room) and overnighting, otherwise a sea day.

Majesty 4 nite: Sea day while slowing down enroute to Key West.

Sovereign 3 nite: Sea day while slowing down enroute back to Canaveral.

Sovereign 4 nite: Sea day, maybe Nassau early (if there is room), and if there are no ships scheduled for Thursday...a second shot at CocoCay (not always, but it has been done).

Other ships: Probably a sea day.

Nothing is certian...more captain's discretion than anything...

You could also be one of the elite group of "overnighters". A few years back the weather turned bad while most passengers were on the island. The had to spend the night ashore while the Majesty waited for the seas to calm down and daylight to arrive! (wish it was me!)

Where did they put you up on Coco Cay for an overnighter? That would have been interesting...

On our Majesty 4-nighter in October 2006, we had to skip Coco Cay due to high winds. We spent the night docked in Nassau and departed the next morning at 6:00 AM. Spent a late night partying at Senor Frog's and woke up the next morning with the worst hangover I'd had in about 20 years.:p I hardly drink at all when not on a cruise. We had an extra sea day, during which I recuperated.:rolleyes:

Where did they put you up on Coco Cay for an overnighter? That would have been interesting...

On our Majesty 4-nighter in October 2006, we had to skip Coco Cay due to high winds. We spent the night docked in Nassau and departed the next morning at 6:00 AM. Spent a late night partying at Senor Frog's and woke up the next morning with the worst hangover I'd had in about 20 years.:p I hardly drink at all when not on a cruise. We had an extra sea day, during which I recuperated.:rolleyes:

Apparently the crew risked some pretty wild waves to fill tenders up with blankets, clothing from the shops, food, etc. and did one more crossing. People were sleeping in every possible building for shelter. It was by no means a plesant experience, but I for one would have found it unique!

CocoCay has a permanent staff that lives there in week long shifts caring for the place, so there is some infastructure there. You can get a glimpse of it by walking the trail down the spine of the island out to the far west end.

The next morning everyone was picked up, and of course Key West was cancelled at that point due to time. As I recall, all pax received a full refund, and those stranded on the island also received a voucher for another Majesty sailing free.

There is probably someone around here that remembers more...

This past August, a storm blew in just as we decided to leave. It had been getting darker for a while, and the first rain drops fell as we were getting on the tender. (It was funny because we saw some people on the edge of the shore taking wind readings and all, and we asked if we were going to have to head back. They said , no they were just being careful and tracking the storm)

We by the time we were half way across the wind was howling, the rain was pouring, and even the people in the very middle of the bottom level of the tender were wet. Luckily it was still somewhat warm. The waves became very choppy. There was a tender about to leave the ship and we went in circles waiting while the slowly loaded (you could tell it was difficult for people to maintain their balance) and then to all get off of the boat when the captain decided to not allow anyone else to go ashore.

When it was our turn, they obviously unloaded the top level first. As they were trying to set the gangway in place, a huge swell came and it went flying up in the air. They got it in place a crew stood by to make sure it stayed in place. We got to watch all of these people try and make their way across to the ship. Twice, a very large wave came in and raised the tender to the point where the gangway and person went very high in the air and almost slammed their backs into the top of the doorway onto the ship. The crew were amazing. They did a great job of limiting how many people were standing up waiting and also keeping the interior area clear. They even were pretty good at guessing when the larger swells were coming and they had people wait a minute.

It was definitely an interesting experience. Looking back, I wasn't really afraid or even nervous, but it is not an experience I really want to repeat.

They only let one more tender come back after ours, and then halted tendering until the storm calmed down. Once things were calm, they have everyone else come back early.

Wow...what stories to share! I'm sure the crew are well trained for this type of thing, but when it happens, it must be harrowing for everyone.

When we were at Coco Cay, our jet ski guide told us that his was one of the people who lived on the island and maintained it. What a life!

Archived