Need advice...am I too old for these???

FOURunderFOUR

I am a 31yo mom of 4 young kids. I know Delia's is supposed to be a store for teens and YOUNG women. I have never shopped in there before, but just got a catalog in the mail (no clue how) with free shipping and 15% off your order. I am still looking for some tops for my cruise. Give me your honest opinion, are these shirts too young for me? They don't appear to be what I consider typical "teeny-bopper" shirts (no offense to teens, here), but I don't want to look like someone who is trying to look younger than they actually are. Thanks!

http://store.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=1484&itemID=49097&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=

I would wear this with a pair of wide-legged cream pants (if it is cream on top, or white linen pants if white).

http://store.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=1485&itemID=49107&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=

I had a similar shirt last summer when I was pregnant, and I LOVED it. It looks nice with jeans, but can also be dressed up.

http://store.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=&itemID=49100&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=&CROSS=154063&i=153986

I thought this would look "nautical" with my wide-legged white linen pants. I also have a white and navy striped hooded sweater cardigan that might make this outfit work for my flight down and embarkation.

Thoughts?? I leave in under 2 weeks and am having trouble finding things to wear.

TIA

J

TBH... it would really depend on how they look on you but that really wouldn't matter if you are a teen or 31. If you like them and are comfortable then go ahead. Not that you asked but personally, I don't really like the 1st one very much but think the other 2 are cute.

Not sure what your size is, but be warned that Delia's tends to run pretty small. I usually wear a medium in most brands, but in Delia's, I have to get an XL. This is what you get for buying junior clothes, a bigger size on the label. There pants don't fit me at all, maybe I can squeeze into a 12 or 14, but they never look right.

Not sure what your size is, but be warned that Delia's tends to run pretty small. I usually wear a medium in most brands, but in Delia's, I have to get an XL. This is what you get for buying junior clothes, a bigger size on the label. There pants don't fit me at all, maybe I can squeeze into a 12 or 14, but they never look right.

oooh, I did not think of that. Last year I wouldn't have even tried, as I was at least an XL in 'misses' sizes. But after training for a mini-triathlon, I lost about 20 pounds and now wear a 10 in pants and M or L in shirts. Hmmm. I wonder if an XL would fit. I haven't tried on any juniors tops recently,but I did just get a pair of Bermuda shorts from Target in an 11. The waist is actually a bit big, but I needed the room for my "birthing" hips!

Thanks to the other posters for your opinions too. I just realized when I went to the website that I can only use the free ship OR the 15% coupon. SIGH. Shipping is almost $10 FOR TWO SHIRTS!!! I figured if it was free ship and I did not like them I could just return them to the store and not be out anything, but after reading the fine print I realize that is not an option. Hmmmm. Maybe I need to go back to the brick & mortar stores and look for something I can actually try on. (I am not sure I am brave enough to actually walk into a Delia's and look for the shirts there!).

j

I am in my 40's and I would wear the second one..I am a size 8 and a 34 on top and I have to order XL in shirts. They tend to be a little baggy around the waist so I usually have to have them taken in a little. Jr. run so much smaller in the bust, waist and thighs. That's waht happens when we have those beautiful babies and go through menopause:eek: .

I would wear the 2nd one, the others tend to look too maternity on me. I love an empire waist, but only if the whole garment is more fitted and less balloon-y.

As for age, GO FOR IT. You are young and if you are in good shape you'll totally look fine in any of those.

Enjoy!

The first one looks very naive and too young ... and I'd be concerned that I couldn't wear a bra with it. The third looks maternity, and it is cut quite short, which isn't flattering on anyone with hips :D.

The second one is cute.

I took a quick look at Old Navy. They have some summery stuff in now. I thought this was cute, and it would accentuate a slim waist.

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=10018&pid=535899

BTW --- you ARE young. Enjoy yourself!

Four babies under the age of four!! Are any twins??

You should still dress for youth but as fashion goes I love the second one ,it looks crisp and summery but the first one is too baby dollish and the third one too 60's smockish.I think they just really offer very little style or shape.

So wonderful you are getting a holiday. Who's babysitting?!

I don't think it's so much the age (although they are a bit teeny bopper), but the fact that you've had 4 kids (they know how to prevent that now).

Flame away.

Geez, this doesn't even deserve a reply, but it's soooo uncalled for that I'll bite. :rolleyes:

Instead of flaming, I'll just suggest you "get lost".

:)

I am going to second the sizes run really really small .. and ..to put it nicely .. if I was 15 and didn't really care much about quality over style I would get the second or the third .. but I wouldn't count on them for after the cruise and laundring

My teens said no more delias and now like Alloy

My opinion is I don't think you can make a final decision until you try them. If the cut is right , and the fit is right, then do it. If not, you'll look like a 31 year old woman who is trying to look like a teen. I find that some "junior" size clothes are cut in such a way that they look ill fitting, others hang appropriately. How many times have you seen a woman your age or older wearing junior size clothes and she looked like she was still thinking she was a teenager?

I am a 31yo mom of 4 young kids. I know Delia's is supposed to be a store for teens and YOUNG women. I have never shopped in there before, but just got a catalog in the mail (no clue how) with free shipping and 15% off your order. I am still looking for some tops for my cruise. Give me your honest opinion, are these shirts too young for me? They don't appear to be what I consider typical "teeny-bopper" shirts (no offense to teens, here), but I don't want to look like someone who is trying to look younger than they actually are. Thanks!

http://store.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=1484&itemID=49097&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=

I would wear this with a pair of wide-legged cream pants (if it is cream on top, or white linen pants if white).

http://store.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=1485&itemID=49107&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=

I had a similar shirt last summer when I was pregnant, and I LOVED it. It looks nice with jeans, but can also be dressed up.

http://store.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=&itemID=49100&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=&CROSS=154063&i=153986

I thought this would look "nautical" with my wide-legged white linen pants. I also have a white and navy striped hooded sweater cardigan that might make this outfit work for my flight down and embarkation.

Thoughts?? I leave in under 2 weeks and am having trouble finding things to wear.

TIA

J

I see nothing wrong with them-although the first two-if you have lots "up top" may not be a good look if you go braless especially.

Now if you were talking aobut those barely cover your butt miniskirts-I think they look terrible over anyone over 12. Now that is just MY opinion-which really does not count for much-so no flames please!

I say buy both tops try them on and wear capris and some cute sandals with them, add some accessories and you're ready to go. I am 36 and wear clothes out of the juniors dept. (because it's always cheaper) but I also wear clothes from the women's dept.

I have a 13 yr old who tells me if my outfit doesn't look right.

Four babies under the age of four!! Are any twins??

You should still dress for youth but as fashion goes I love the second one ,it looks crisp and summery but the first one is too baby dollish and the third one too 60's smockish.I think they just really offer very little style or shape.

So wonderful you are getting a holiday. Who's babysitting?!

Mema and Papa (my parents) are the brave souls who are taking on all four. No twins...the oldest is now 4 1/2, then 16 months younger (3 yo), then 10 months younger (she came 15 weeks early!!), then 13 months younger. I had the last three (all girls) in 25 months, so it often feels like twins, or triplets!!! We are SO looking forward to this trip. Hopefully we can make it off the ship without adding #5!

Thanks to the rest of you for all your comments/advice!

J

Archived