Crossing Nov 2008

LBLB

I am wondering who is planning to go on the crossing for Nov 2008 ?

Anybody planning to travel without a spouse, or as a single? My husband does not want to do a crossing?

And where do you fly to go tenifre(sp)? I know this has been discussed every year, but I don't want to search back.

The price has risen dramatically for the crossing lately!

What does FT to be successful at?

Well, I answered my own question on the air...

Atlanta to Madrid and Madrid to TFN

Seems very easy. Lots of seats available with points on Delta.

Convincing my DH that he and our teen-aged DD can survive without me that long:p:eek::p

DJ -you talk a good game, DH has been sold before on the crossing and you have yet to go.

However, if DH needs further encouragment I promise that he won't be allowed to escape the rodeo next week until you've booked the crossing.

On the 2005 fall crossing on SD II there were two "solo" travelers. On the fall 2007 crossing there were at least eight solo travelers.

I've done Delta to Madrid and then Tenerife - not bad, but the Madrid airport is a zoo first thing in the morning. CTBJR took Delta through Barcelona and has recommended that route. Last year was BA through Gatwick - but until they relax the carry on restrictions completely, I'll never connect through London again.

FT - The carry on restrictions have now been improved in the UK. With that said, I still suggest going through Spain rather than London. BA flies only to Tenerife South while it's easy to connect to Tenerife North through either Madrid or Barcelona. As I believe you found out a few months ago, the taxi from Tenerife South to the area near the Port is rather pricey. The North airport is much closer.

I am currently booked on SD 2 on the Fall '08 Crossing. Mrs. CTBjr is booked as well. With any luck, we'll both be there. Time will tell.

Convincing my DH that he and our teen-aged DD can survive without me that long:p:eek::p

Jen they can come hang with me, both DD and DS will be gone next fall. I guess FT told you we are booked in March 09.

Jen they can come hang with me, both DD and DS will be gone next fall. I guess FT told you we are booked in March 09.

FT did indeed tell me you are booked. I think we will book while we are on board in a little over 8 weeks! She and I are going to talk about Alaska when we get together for girls night out/cruise planning next month!

Our DD will just turn 16 as well ctbjr. Knowing zqvol he can handle all three children, plus our two golden retrievers:p

Yes FT, you are right ... I need to make the decision and then the deposit.

I went ahead and reserved all the flights.

Delta to Madrid...50000 points and $5.00 fee.

A cheap connection on Spanair to TFN, using credit card points,

and then a hotel room for the night of the 12th with spg points.

Now if only SD would hook up a point partnership with AmExp, it could all be done with points!

FT did indeed tell me you are booked. I think we will book while we are on board in a little over 8 weeks! She and I are going to talk about Alaska when we get together for girls night out/cruise planning next month!

Our DD will just turn 16 as well ctbjr. Knowing zqvol he can handle all three children, plus our two golden retrievers:p

Yes FT, you are right ... I need to make the decision and then the deposit.

No problem

Sounds like you've got it wired, LBLB. Hope to see you on board.

I look forward to meeting you instead of just watching you in photos!

Does anybody know if Alita is going also? She seems to have disappeared from the discussion board.

Glad to see this thread started!

Yes, I'll be on the crossing too, will board in Malaga for an extra 5 days of the luxury life... tried last week to book the segment before--Lisbon to Malaga--but the price was over the top so I guess I'll settle for 17 days instead of 23. Actually, the Lisbon-Malaga segment no longer shows on the website, it's now Lisbon-Tenerife so I consider myself lucky to have the partial segment booked!

"On the fall 2007 crossing there were at least eight solo travelers."

Very true, FT, but you didn't mention the best part... they were all sitting at the captain's table (sans captain) for the entire crossing!;)

A note from our distinguished Captain J this morning informs me that old friends Maxine & Dave, who were onboard the 'engine fire' SD2 cruise with me October 06, are now on board with him on the 9 day Caribbean cruise. If you're reading this Johannes, please give them my best!

alita

I'm also booked solo for the crossing. That is, if I can resolve the complex air connections. I'll be coming from Madeira and dread doing two connections to get to Tenerife. I was counting on BA to Gatwick, to Tenerife, but they left the Madeira market. I avoid London whenever possible due to the carryon hassels, but it was the better of the options. I can only connect by ferry on Sunday, so that's not good.

Two islands so close, but so far apart.

JoAnne B

Housotn

I think ctbjr and FT are going sans spouses.

And if FT is successful next week I may be joining them (sans spouse as well):p

I am sure the veterans will chime in on the air component.

Jen, I just realized that this sounds really suspicious, because I am sure most on here have no idea how FT could be successful to get you on a crossing sans Mr. DJ.

Jen, I just realized that this sounds really suspicious, because I am sure most on here have no idea how FT could be successful to get you on a crossing sans Mr. DJ.

Nothing suspicious at all ... Actually my DH chuckles when I read him or show him the posts here on CC. He realizes that is better to listen to strong women like FT and me ... although most of the time he just listens and then does what he wants anyway:p Not that I would ever do anything like that:rolleyes:

Nothing suspicious at all ... Actually my DH chuckles when I read him or show him the posts here on CC. He realizes that is better to listen to strong women like FT and me ... although most of the time he just listens and then does what he wants anyway:p Not that I would ever do anything like that:rolleyes:

Listening to FT and saying yes dear is a very good thing.

• 5 weeks later...

I spent some time this weekend working on booking flights to Tenerife in November. Previously you could book BA seamlessly (one ticket, bags checked all the way through from home airport to Tenerife) to Gatwick and then (via GB Airways) on to Tenerife South airport. That's what we did in 2006 and it worked great.

I learned that effective March 30, GB Airways will be sold to easyJet. After that, it won't be possible to book through to Tenerife via BA only. I guess that 2 separate tickets will be required. Anybody considering doing this should also check to see if BA and easyJet have an "interline" agreement whereby bags can be checked through and transferred at Gatwick from BA to easyJet. If not, you'll need to collect checked bags at Gatwick and recheck them with easyJet. This would also require exiting and reentering the secure area and for all I know (too lazy to do the research -- sorry) it could even require changing from the North Terminal at Gatwick to the South Terminal.

This development makes it an even easier decision when coming from the States to fly into either Madrid or Barcelona and then connect to either Iberia or Spanair into Tenerife NORTH (TFN) airport. Last year, I flew Delta into Barcelona and then Spanair into TFN. Worked like a charm.

One final pointer is to fly into Tenerife NORTH airport and not Tenerife SOUTH unless you are staying prior to the cruise on the south end of the island. The North airport is much closer to the Port (approx 15 minutes vs. an hour or more). As I recall, those flying into the South airport last year had the pleasure of a taxi ride costing in the neighborhood of $100. FT was one of the victims and can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Just think, it's less than 9 months away!

yes, ctbjr - I was one of those paying dearly to get from Tenerife South airport to our hotel. More than 100 Euros, so we won't talk about the $$$. Never again, I am flying in from Madrid in November, using Delta FF miles to Madrid, then SpainAir or Iberia to Tenerife North.

Less than 9 months to the crossing!

FT

yes, ctbjr - I was one of those paying dearly to get from Tenerife South airport to our hotel. More than 100 Euros, so we won't talk about the $$$. Never again, I am flying in from Madrid in November, using Delta FF miles to Madrid, then SpainAir or Iberia to Tenerife North.

Less than 9 months to the crossing!

FT

wow I can't believe it is "only" 9 months only....but I love summertime and never want summer to hurry away. I too am doing what FT is doing to get there, and then staying at Sheraton with points for only one night. I will try to take everything with carry on only because the airlines think it is a sporting game to lose my luggage. It was really reasonable to fly from Madrid to Tenerife. I picked coach also international, because it is a lot of points for just one way otherwise for business class. Thanks for keeping this thread going. I love the positive threads!

in the past I did the cruise with just carry on . . . probably the only female to ever make that claim but last year I checked luggage and it all made it. . so I'm going to try again this year . . . assuming el jefe will generously allow me to log on to his computer in the afternoon.

I'm using points too at the Sheraton . . between the wonderful lobby bar and the champagne brunch, its a nice warm up for SD

Counting down the days

FT.

Archived