Crossing Nov 2008

LBLB

in the past I did the cruise with just carry on . . . probably the only female to ever make that claim but last year I checked luggage and it all made it. . so I'm going to try again this year . . . assuming el jefe will generously allow me to log on to his computer in the afternoon.

I'm using points too at the Sheraton . . between the wonderful lobby bar and the champagne brunch, its a nice warm up for SD

Counting down the days

FT.

Hi FT:

Lois & I have done the last 3 SDs in carry ons. Also a wedding in England with a side trip to Venice. It can be done! It really helps at the prison compounds (airports) too. wish we were going with you.

Jim.

For those of you who travel just with carry ons ... what do you do about sunscreen? Clothes-wise I probably could get away with carry ons ... it's the liquids that trip me up!

All that stuff and a few books go in Lois's bottomless purse. You know "Honey do you have room for this?". We also just buy sunscreen at the first port some times.

For those of you who travel just with carry ons ... what do you do about sunscreen? Clothes-wise I probably could get away with carry ons ... it's the liquids that trip me up!

I have changed over all my makeup to mineral powder, so the only liquids for carry on are my perfume, suntan lotion, and toothpaste. Try Suntan Lotion Neutrogena #55- it is in my opinion the best on the market and is packaged in 3 oz tubes. You can put several of these in the qt sized plastic bag and go right on through.

Hi FT:

Lois & I have done the last 3 SDs in carry ons. Also a wedding in England with a side trip to Venice. It can be done! It really helps at the prison compounds (airports) too. wish we were going with you.

Jim.

But were you gone for two weeks? A week is not a problem - do it for business regularly, but two weeks is a different story. I wore a lot of black!

On the liquids - with the lovely 3 oz limitation on sunscreen, I buy at the end destination -- or what's better - if you get the stuff in little packets - that isn't subject to the limit. You'd be surprised what you can buy in individual packets - sunscreen, etc.

gloomy rain today . . . really miss the sun.

FT

• 2 weeks later...
But were you gone for two weeks? A week is not a problem - do it for business regularly, but two weeks is a different story. I wore a lot of black!

On the liquids - with the lovely 3 oz limitation on sunscreen, I buy at the end destination -- or what's better - if you get the stuff in little packets - that isn't subject to the limit. You'd be surprised what you can buy in individual packets - sunscreen, etc.

gloomy rain today . . . really miss the sun.

FT

Hi FT:

The England trip was for 2 weeks but in fairness, we did have access to washing machines at relatives homes. Friends of ours travel with their oldest underwear and throw it away as used then buy new as needed. Hate to think what the cabin attendants think with all those old undies in the trash.

Jim.

• 4 months later...

I've changed my morning addiction from coffee to Sugar Free Red Bull (after all it does have loads of Vitamin B) . . . any suggestions on the simplest way to get 22 cans on board (2 per morning)? I'm thinking I should buy some the morning before we board and bring it on like luggage?

FT

Hi FT:

UPS it to the ship.

Jim, I can't bring myself to spend the money to ship my luggage . . . but Red Bull, a necessity, might be worth it. Checking other blogs . . .it looks like I should have no problem acquiring in Tenerife:D

can't believe its still almost 4 months to departure.

FT

• 3 weeks later...
We're using 90,000 Delta miles each to get to Madrid via (ugh) JFK. Haven't you charged enough at Chico's on your AMEX to generate enough DL miles for a FF ticket, DJ?

:p

Not a Delta flyer or CC holder. We're a USAir family:eek:

Have enough SAS miles but it will take me four legs and two days ... not willing to go that way.

I do check every other day though in case something frees up.

As a certified FF junkie, until recently I had 3 separate cards for various individual programs. I've just now canceled all 3 and replaced them with one card that allows me to transfer miles to every program important to me (BA, AA, DL) and to USAir, among nearly 30 others, thanks to alita's sage advice. No fee for year 1, $45 annual fee thereafter, 10,000 points (miles) just for signing up and using the card and a 5,000 point (miles) bonus for every 20,000 points (miles) transferred to a participating airline program. Food for thought.

Now, getting back on topic I have had a friendly reminder from my pusher (I mean my travel agent) that our final payment for the crossing is due later this week. So far, it appears that Mrs. CTBjr will be joining us this year and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that will in fact be the case.

:p

Not a Delta flyer or CC holder. We're a USAir family:eek:

Have enough SAS miles but it will take me four legs and two days ... not willing to go that way.

I do check every other day though in case something frees up.

• 3 weeks later...

Mrs. Toybar and I have made finall payment, flights all set. Iberia from Chicago to Madrid and then Tenerife Norte. Sheraton room booked, bar stool at Sheraton Mencey bar being cleaned even as I write this.:D

If we have half as much fun on the 2008 crossing as the 2007, the trip will be a success. Very sorry to hear Miss Altia will not be able to join us.

Do we know who will be our hotel manager for the trip?

ctbjr1309, what card did Miss Altia convince you to switch too?

TOYBAR,

Glad to hear that you guys are signed, sealed and soon to be delivered. Last year's crossing was indeed a pretty excellent experience wasn't it?

I'm not sure who has the enviable task of serving as Hotel Manager during the Fall crossing this year but one thing is for certain: whoever it is will need to have the key to the closet where they're storing the special beer!

Based on your plan to stay at the Sheraton and the fact that alita won't be pulling us in the direction of the Rural Victoria this year, we'll most likely stay at the Sheraton as well. Perhaps we can organize a dinner on Nov. 12 for those of us heading for the port on the 13th.

Thanks to alita, I am now the proud owner of a Starwood AMEX card. Thanks to Mrs. CTBjr (and to SeaDream), within a very short period of time I have earned nearly enough points for a business class ticket (on a variety of airlines including AA, BA, DL and others) between the US and Europe!

Hello All,

Having sailed Seadream(favorite cruise by far) and Seabourn(Second favorite by far), we are considering a transatlantic on one of the lines.

Seadream has better food, IMHO best service.

Seabourn has good food, great service, but on a crossing maybe more to do each day in the way of dining venues and activities silly as they may be(deck putting for example).

We are hoping for some imput as to what others have in the way of ideas or comments.

Thanks for any help

Taylor

You may want to post this on the Seabourn board as well... My suggestion to you is this.. Decide if you want to take the chance on like-minded fellow passengers on SeaDream than on Seabourn. (More guests to spend 24/7 with)

Host Dan

Hi Taylor!

I think you would love the crossing on SD!

I know several people who will be on this fall's crossing on SD2 ... including the incredible Capt. T. These folks have been working on having me join them ... which I am still working on but the air is still outrageous right now.

I think the experience, from what I have read on the Seabourn board about the crossing, will be different then Seabourn in terms of "Plaid parties" and passenger organized activity the likes of which has been organized by a certain Texan lady:D

I know there is trivia, Liar's Club and all sorts of lectures ... as well as incredible food and service!

Just my $.02!!

As usual, DJ is right on target. In addition to the activities that she mentions, there are daily walks around the deck led by the Activities Director, trips to the gym and spa, afternoon naps, chatting on deck with new and old friends, posting on Cruise Critic, practicing one's golf swing in the golf simulator, playing cards, visiting the Bridge and chatting with the Captain or other crew member(s) who happen to be there or reading a good book to name a few things.

In conclusion, regardless of whether one chooses SeaDream or Seabourn, there is plenty to do on board during a crossing. I haven't experienced a Seabourn crossing but have done 2 SeaDream crossings and my experience was such that I'm eagerly anticipating my 3rd in a couple of months.

As usual, DJ is right on target. In addition to the activities that she mentions, there are daily walks around the deck led by the Activities Director, trips to the gym and spa, afternoon naps, chatting on deck with new and old friends, posting on Cruise Critic, practicing one's golf swing in the golf simulator, playing cards, visiting the Bridge and chatting with the Captain or other crew member(s) who happen to be there or reading a good book to name a few things.

so much to do and so little time . . . I never do get accomplished all that I plan on the SD crossing . . . but its so much fun trying.

FT

Archived