Hurricane Season?

CrazyCruisingCat

Considering cruising in May or June. Anyone know what weather will be like in the Western Caribbean at that time? Don't want to be caught in a hurricane. I know that Hurricane season is supposedly from June to November and we'd like to avoid that but May-ish may be the only time we can go.

In Florida we get the occaisional afternoon showers/thunderstorms in May and June so I would think the caribbean would be similar. The most active time of the hurricane season is Sept so you should be fine in May and June, the hurricane season doesn't officially start till June 30th.

Hell-the weather folks don't even know what the weather will be 1 week out! There's no way to tell! Even without a hurricane, low-pressure systems can wreak havoc on the seas! You just have to book the cruise, and hope for the best!

Thats what I keep thinking. We just go or we don't. You just can't predict what will happen. Like our traveling companion slipping on the ice and breaking her ankle which is why we are considering May (she will have her cast off by then). We were originally booked for Feb. 10th :(. Oh well. You win some you lose some. Will rainy weather in May affect shore excursions? We planned on swimming with stingrays, seeing the ruins, and hiking Dunns River Falls.

Thats what I keep thinking. We just go or we don't. You just can't predict what will happen. Like our traveling companion slipping on the ice and breaking her ankle which is why we are considering May (she will have her cast off by then). We were originally booked for Feb. 10th :(. Oh well. You win some you lose some. Will rainy weather in May affect shore excursions? We planned on swimming with stingrays, seeing the ruins, and hiking Dunns River Falls.

Most shore excursions will run even if it's raining. It rained in Grand Cayman last year in late May but we swam with the stingrays anyway. Could've been better (we were wet, it was windy and cloudy, so we were chilled through by the time we got back), but we still enjoyed it.

This year will the FIRST time I have not taken one during hurricane season and have never had a a problem. I figure once I get on the ship the world is good - may not get to the advertised ports but oh well!

I would go with whatever your schedule allows, have fun and don't worry.

Weather is too unpredictable to predict. Go and enjoy your vacation. Our first cruise was in 2005 right after Hurricane Katrina. We were suppose to leave from the Port of New Orleans but Katrina took care of that so we left our of the Port of Galveston. While on our cruise, unbeknownest to us, here comes Hurricane Rita. We spent two extra days at sea because of Rita and had beautiful weather but the Galveston port was close so we landed up going to an extra island, Costa Maya. It was then that I became hooked on cruising. There was nothing we could do, when Mother Nature speaks we all listen.

In Florida we get the occaisional afternoon showers/thunderstorms in May and June so I would think the caribbean would be similar. The most active time of the hurricane season is Sept so you should be fine in May and June, the hurricane season doesn't officially start till June 30th.

Actually hurricane season starts June 1st and goes through June 30. August and Sept. are considered to be the height of hurricane season.

I think cjskids meant hurricane season runs June 1st through November 30th. We've lived on the Texas Gulf Coast for almost 30 years...and I'd venture to say you're pretty safe in May and June. She's right though...peak season is August and September. We even had to cancel our DD's wedding due to Hurricane Rita the end of September, 2005. Oh well...rescheduled and all went well. But, on the same note we went on a cruise September, 2006, and it was absolutely beautiful, smooth sailing. You just never know what Mother Nature has in store for us...even the National Hurricane Center is wrong sometimes! Schedule your cruise and have a great time!!

Archived