Venice Docking

MJ123

This question was asked recently on another board, to which I answered....

I was disembarking Regatta last year in VCE. According to the VCE port calendar, THEY had us scheduled to dock (turnaround) at the smaller San Basilio docks in Giudecca. When there are a number of large ships in port, they sometimes put the smaller ships at San Basilio. Turns out we were docked at Stazione Maritima (the main, commercial port) instead. I question if San Basilio has adequate facilities to embark/disembark passengers & their luggage. But if yours is just a one day port of call, S.B. could handle the traffic flow. And S.B. makes getting to San Marco a lot easier & faster. Maybe the folks at Oceania can give you a definitive answer. IMO, where depends on how many large ships will be in port that day.

You used to be able to look on the Port of Venice ship schedule but they don't seem to allow individuals to access it anymore.

Our experience last October was an element of confusion as the port and our tickets didn't match. In the end our TA had to contact us when we were in Venice to say that it had changed from the tickets. The port calendar was also incorrect!

The lesson I learnt is to keep some flexibility in mind.

• 1 month later...
Which pier will Oceania dock its ships in Venice?

Thanks,

I found this web site

http://www.vtp.it/Default.jsp?language=1

Click "Ship Schedule"

Shipping Company choose "Oceania Cruises Inc.

Enter the Day, Month Year You are in port (Oct 8, 2008 >> 08 10 2008)

For the above example it shows:

REGATTA Berth MARITTIMA

and at a later date

NAUTICA Berth S. BASILIO

So as stated above, I guess they use both, but you should be able to tell which is planned for your specific cruise.

I spoke to Oceania agent today who said that it is too early to tell which dockage. They often/and prefer to/ dock in SB, but have also had to move to Maritima as per local shipping authorities.

I would have thought that if the ship is booked to dock at St. Basilio months ahead in the port calendar, that would be pretty definite. But it is only a small dock with room for about one ship.

So if someone else already booked in there , say a more regular customer, O would have to go to the big docks. You can see the main cruise terminal and a ship moored alongside at St Basilio on Google Earth.

San Basilio appears more convenient, as there is a vaporetto water bus stop right there, so no need to walk across the bridge or for shuttle buses to Piazzale Roma.

• 2 weeks later...

If the ship docks at San Basilo, don't you still have to enter and exit through the main ship terminal located in Maritima anyway?

In other words, when embarking (or returning to the ship), doesn't it take *more* time (because of the travel distance) to get from the terminal to the dock?

Good question

but it does not appear that you can get to SB from the main cruise docks

http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/comeRaggiungerci02.jsp

If one is embarking at Venice, doesn't one have to enter through the Marittima entrance regardless of where the ship is docked (even San Basilio), if for no other reason than that the "Luggage Acceptance Point" and the "Venezia Terminal Passeggeri" is located there and presumably all emberking passengers have to be screened through these?

Is there a separate luggage drop-off point and passenger check-in terminal at San Basilio?

In 2005 DH and I walked along the canal trying to get to Maritima to watch Millennium sail out. We were stopped by a guard by San Basilio (who happened to be the only Italian person we spoke to who didn't speak English). If you look on Google Earth there is a small bridge to the east of the port building and this was as far as we could go. I'm guessing the dock area to the east of the small bridge is the vaporetto stop. Google Earth coordinates for bridge - 45.25.50 N & 12.19.14 E. The description from europeforvisitor.com would seem to confirm this.

"From Dorsoduro:

Take the vaporetto or walk along the Zàttere to the small wooden bridge just past the San Basilio vaporetto platform. Cross the bridge shown in the photo above, and you're there."

If one is embarking at Venice, doesn't one have to enter through the Marittima entrance regardless of where the ship is docked (even San Basilio), if for no other reason than that the "Luggage Acceptance Point" and the "Venezia Terminal Passeggeri" is located there and presumably all emberking passengers have to be screened through these?

Is there a separate luggage drop-off point and passenger check-in terminal at San Basilio?

On the port map it looks like cars/buses can get to SB so I am guessing that they must have a place to off load the luggage and process embarking people there. http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/aliscafi.jsp?n=2

Maybe someone who has been there will comment:confused:

When I last went to Venice, on Celebrity Millennium, we sailed past a smaller vessel, (that one that's supposed to be one of the fastest ships) parked at S. Basilio.

It seemed much more convenient than the main terminal where we docked.

The exact location is on Google Earth, and you can see a smallish vessel moored right there here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=Venice+Venice,+Italy&ll=45.431249,12.31679&spn=0.002763,0.007167&t=h&z=18

Zoom out and you'll see the main docks

And St Mark's Square is here, not far away:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=Venice+Venice,+Italy&ll=45.433971,12.338934&spn=0.005526,0.014334&t=h&z=17

When we docked at Venice last year, we docked at San Basilio. There is a terminal building right there. We simply went through the building and exited out where we could catch a water taxi or cross a bridge to catch the vaparetto. It was really simple to do.

When we docked at Venice last year, we docked at San Basilio. There is a terminal building right there. We simply went through the building and exited out where we could catch a water taxi or cross a bridge to catch the vaparetto. It was really simple to do.

Thanks CalSisters.

Since you only docked there, there wasn't a concern regarding dropping off the luggage and registering which is required on embarking. Did you notice any luggage drop-off and passenger sign-in area at the San Basilio Terminal like there is at Maritimma?

The link above shows the building setup. I wasn't there when they were getting ready to load the next set of passengers, but they were setting up the bridge near there with ramps, so you wouldn't have to go up steps with luggage. That may have been for the embarking passengers later in the day.

Archived