When did 55+ Make us Senior

DiveCruiser

I'm not greedy at all but I have this comment to make~ ~ ~10% 20 years ago really meant something, nowadays 10% is like a poor joke, whoever is in charge of determining the percentage should "pull their head out" and atleast go to 15 for God's sake. Hello ????

CIAO, :D

AARP tried to get the Motel 6 I use every month to go to the 15%, the management of Motel 6 said no, they still give the 10% Senior Rate but you no longer show your AARP card.

quote=AKGloryBelle HI, Ya'll,

I was a member of AARP for a year and then quit because I thought they were involved in some political lobbying that I wasn't sure I'd want to back. Anyone know more about the politics of AARP? Is it neutral party-wise and on most non-Senior issues?

Thanks much.

Same here, I joined the year I turned 50 and then after checking I found I don't support their political platform, so I feel it is hypocritical of me to send them the $5 membership fee to get the discounts they provide. Personally, I don't find them to be neutral at all and they lean in one direction, which is not the direction I support.

HI, Ya'll,

I was a member of AARP for a year and then quit because I thought they were involved in some political lobbying that I wasn't sure I'd want to back. Anyone know more about the politics of AARP? Is it neutral party-wise and on most non-Senior issues?

Thanks much.

:cool:

I also dropped AARP due to their political positions; however, my former employer now offers group health insurance for retirees through AARP so I'm forced to belong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite a few discounts are given to 55 year olds. I am willing to accept any discount that comes my way. I am not insulted in any way about being over 55. It means I have managed to survive and quite nicely I might add. Now that I am coming into the social security set, more discounts will be coming my way (1/2 price on the local bus system and free entry into national parks to mention a few) along with a monthly check from our favorite uncle.

As for AARP, it is more than just discounts. AARP indeed does maintain a fairly good lobby in DC. In this day and age, lobbysts are indeed running this country. I want someone there to stand up for the rights of the senior set. I may not agree with everything they do, but do agree with the majority of them. I do wish they would do a better job though of alerting us of legislation that will affect our lives so that we can have a chance to contact our legislators before it is passed.

Given the alternative to getting old, I prefer getting old :)

HI, Y'all,

Thanks much.

:cool:

I was with AARP for years, but three years ago stopped my membership. Many of their stances on important national issues are very much contrary to the positions I am totally convinced are best for me and other seniors. These positions are also very much detrimental to our children.

AARP is able to powerfully lobby for their misguided positions because they claim to represent millions of seniors. Baloney, they have the millions of members only because of the discounts they offer. These discounts can be obtained through other sources. AARP has the gall to be listed as a non-profit organization. But they sell many items at a profit. This provides funds for large salaries and benefits to their management. They ought to be taxed as a profit making organization.

I cannot go into specifics because of the CC policy to avoid creating political controversy. But AARP operates contrary to my interests and very much contrary to my children's interests. I will have nothing more to do with them.

Bob

AARP is able to powerfully lobby for their misguided positions because they claim to represent millions of seniors. Baloney, they have the millions of members only because of the discounts they offer. These discounts can be obtained through other sources. Bob

I agree. DW and I are not members of AARP, but every motel, cruise line, restaurant that offers Sr. discount honors whether you are a member or not. I use my past monthly membership dues now to pay for gas for my vehicle.

As for AARP and politics, they are not neutral and are not the least bit intereseted in the younger generation. There are many of us eligible for membership who do not agree with them.

If you want the discounts, AAA offers many of the same discounts as well as road side assistance. And the best discounts aren't available until you are 55 or 60 and then they are available to all regardless of AARP membership.

The ladies in our office vary in age. One colleague has white hair and is routinely given the seniors discount at restaurants, etc. Two of us are in the "getting close" age group. Often, they will give the discount to all of us rather than offend someone by asking (or not asking) for proof of age.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want the discounts, AAA offers many of the same discounts as well as road side assistance. And the best discounts aren't available until you are 55 or 60 and then they are available to all regardless of AARP membership.

I agree on discounts available, whether a member of AAA or AARP. We always look for Sr. discount when we cruise. This determines in most cases when and what ship/line we choose as I am flexible with being able to take my vacations anytime. I'm not too worried about the political aspect of AARP. More people 50+ vote than any other age group. I don't think the politicians forget this when they are running. That is why most want to know what we are interested in (issues).

Archived