When did 55+ Make us Senior

DiveCruiser

Hey--I started getting AARP benefits at 50! I don't feel old at all, but I'll take a discount anytime!

We did get a senior discount on a cruise once---waaaay before we qualified! No one asked for proof of age--(hubby's hair's been white since he was 30!) so that was a nice thing!

It is getting like Christmas which starts in july now. It is AARP's way of getting more money out of us. If i'm a senior why don't I get discount on anything that really matters like Airfare, instead of just coffee???????

Bob :mad:

Gee, Bob, what's got your shorts all in a twist? First of all, no one forces you to join AARP. If you wish to avail yourself of the member benefits, you join. If the benefits are not valuable to you, then you don't join. I don't think AARP is trying to rip anyone off. But, if you are a member, it entitles you to discounts from Avis, National, and Hertz. If you are a member, it entitles you to discounts at most Grey Line tour operators. If you are a member, it entitles you to floral arrangement discounts from FTD Direct. If you are a member, it entitles you to discounts at more than 25 national motel, hotel and resort properties.

Uh, Bob, that seems to me to be a bit more than discounted coffee.

55+ got us an upgrade to a JS on the Explorer for only $200 USD; also got us $800 CDA off our recent Panama Cruise (nothing to sneeze at!); shopping at TJ Maxx on Mondays - 10% - just ask for your discount; lots of special shopping days and discounts for seniors. All good in my book!

Kathy:)

• 2 weeks later...

If all I can get for getting older is a coffee discount-I'm goin for it. ;)

Loverbubbles ( with a name like this-why not?)

Nordic Prince RCCL 1972

Doric (Home Line) 1978

Festival (Carnival) 1994

Monarch (RCCL) 1995

Legend (RCCL) 1996

Voyager ( Olympic) 2003

Regata (Oceania) 2003

Constellation (Celebrity) 2004

Galaxy (Celebrity) 2005

Galaxy (Celebrity) 2006

Dream (NCL) 2006

Navigator (RCCL) 2007

Galaxy (Celebrity) Jan. 2008

Voyager (RCCL) April 2008

Conquest (Carnival) Nov. 2008

• 2 weeks later...

My husband doesn't look his age. When he was 60 and we went to Denny's, he ordered from the senior menu. (He doesn't eat much, so that was perfect for him.) He was sssssssssssssssssssssssooooooooooooo upset that they didn't ask for ID to prove he was over 55. I just laughed until I became 55 and they never asked me my age.

I guess, what goes around comes around. Now though, we just accept that we are getting "over the hill." We do forget to ask for senior discounts though, so I guess we need to start thinking about that.

• 2 weeks later...
It is getting like Christmas which starts in july now. It is AARP's way of getting more money out of us. If i'm a senior why don't I get discount on anything that really matters like Airfare, instead of just coffee???????

You're kidding - aren't you? When my husband turned 50, I signed us up right away and checked out their auto insurance. I was able to double - yes, double - our coverage for just a tad less than what we were paying. If that isn't a discount that matters, then I sure don't know what is!

You're kidding - aren't you? When my husband turned 50, I signed us up right away and checked out their auto insurance. I was able to double - yes, double - our coverage for just a tad less than what we were paying. If that isn't a discount that matters, then I sure don't know what is!

My wife did too

That is what is so great about you gals.

Bob

BOB - do you know that both Wendy's and Long John Silver's Seafood Restaurant gives discounts to Senior Citizens? I do have to ask for it though even if I know I look like a senior :p .

59, loving it and can't wait until I'm 60. I plan to start celebrating my 60th birthday (Feb 26th, 2009) two weeks before and two weeks after. I will only turn 60 once so why not celebrate something that comes around only once in a lifetime?!!

angry_old_woman.jpg Oh poor sad little lady. I have a feeling she's not angry because of something that happen but because she isn't on a cruise.

I'm not greedy at all but I have this comment to make~ ~ ~10% 20 years ago really meant something, nowadays 10% is like a poor joke, whoever is in charge of determining the percentage should "pull their head out" and atleast go to 15 for God's sake. Hello ????

CIAO, :D

• 3 weeks later...

In the UK we have to wait until we are at least 60 for any discounts. I now get my free country-wide bus pass (which I do make use of) and living in a seaside town, I am entitled to a free deckchair on the promenade and I intend to make use of that this summer:D :D

• 2 weeks later...

HI, Ya'll,

I was a member of AARP for a year and then quit because I thought they were involved in some political lobbying that I wasn't sure I'd want to back. Anyone know more about the politics of AARP? Is it neutral party-wise and on most non-Senior issues?

Thanks much.

:cool:

Because you are Not a senior, only according to AARP so they can start sucking money from people early..:)

Archived