Passports in port

RysMom

This is our first cruise in which we have had passports and I'm not sure whether you need to take them off the ship with you when you are in port. Logic tells me that you should, on the off chance that you get left behind. However, it also seem that the odds of them getting lost or stolen increase if you carry them with you.

Any input from more experienced cruisers would be helpful. Thanks

Before you leave home, make copies of your passports. Leave copies with *someone* at home, and carry copies with you on shore during the cruise.

While in Europe/Asia and some other continents you will need to make sure you take the passports off the ship with you. There should be clear instructions on that in the ship newsletter as you travel along.

Have a great cruise!

I remember reading another thread re: passports...and a very good point was made...IF you miss your ship or need to leave a foreign port for emergency--you cannot use a copy of a passport to leave (ie board a plane,etc)---I always take my passport when leaving ship (and have a copy in safe and at home)

You don't need your passport in port, but you will have to take a form of ID with you, i.e. driver's license or a copy of your passport photo. You don't need an ID for your children as long as they are with you when you board the ship.

they can get the number (of your passport) and use that to work with. i have caught little fingers trying to get into my canvas bag, more then once. if i am just sightseeing and don't mind something around my neck, i can take the passports. i NEVER put them in pockets or purses.

last cruise, i did have copies in my bag...left the passport in the safe.

as long as i have the copies, they can pull it up on the 'puter to issue a duplicate.

another thing to do, scan your passport and put it in a email. i can save that email on my yahoo or MSN server and get it on the web. it doesn't replace taking it on the cruise, just keeps a copy handy in case you need to replace it.

I always use this answer when people ask. Certain smaller lines make all passengers turn their passports (including US citizens) in for safekeeping upon boarding and they are not returned until disembarkation, unless the port they are stopping in requires the passenger to keep them with them. There are no Caribbean ports that have this requirement so it is safe to leave your passport in your cabin.

we did a greek cruise ship from athens to istanbul and back. they kept our passport the whole trip, we didn't get it back until the night before disembarking. even around the caribbean, non-U.S citizens sometimes are asked to give up the passport for the cruise. makes it easier for the ship to clear customs when the passports are in one place, instead of calling each passenger down to clear customs.

Any input from more experienced cruisers would be helpful.
You're always going to get a variety of responses.

So, my personal view: The risk of losing your passport when ashore is greater than the risk of needing your passport because you aren't on board the ship when it sails (for whatever reason). Therefore it's safer to leave it on board.

If the ship sails without you, the ship's agent should be able to help you - that's why their number is always printed in the daily programme.

Archived