How bad a ride in aft cabins?

landj4always

Well, I'll chime in again.

I don't think the Grand class vessels are particularly good riders in heavy pitching seas. They tend to bounce on the bulbous bow, which can cause some very jarring movements.

With their relatively flat bottoms and wide beam, they also like to roll.

The old Royal Princess, (now P&O's Artemis), had a more liner like hull, and took to heavy water very well.

Oh well, we all have our preferences.

Now for my 2 cents (and I expect change).

We had an aft cabin on the Jewel of the Seas for the 1/20 cruise. Motion from the ocean in moderate seas (we had 12 ft plus) was a little more pronounced than in areas further forward, but not a great deal more. Vibration from the props was significant on two occasions - when they "put the pedal to the metal" and ran at full speed, and during maneuvering for docking. Once it was like a minor earthquake. Other than that, the aft cabin was quite enjoyable with a great view and large balcony. We would book an aft cabin again.

Art

On the Crown in Jan 2007 we had an aft cabin and found that there was a "shimmy" that drove us a bit crazy. It was a shaking back and forth that seemed to have something to do with the stabilizers/engines.

In 2008 we took a forward of mid ships and the ride was smooth as smooth could be.

On the Crown in Jan 2007 we had an aft cabin and found that there was a "shimmy" that drove us a bit crazy. It was a shaking back and forth that seemed to have something to do with the stabilizers/engines.

In 2008 we took a forward of mid ships and the ride was smooth as smooth could be.

I agree, we also felt the "shimmy" the entire time in our aft suite.

Now for my 2 cents (and I expect change).

We had an aft cabin on the Jewel of the Seas for the 1/20 cruise. Motion from the ocean in moderate seas (we had 12 ft plus) was a little more pronounced than in areas further forward, but not a great deal more. Vibration from the props was significant on two occasions - when they "put the pedal to the metal" and ran at full speed, and during maneuvering for docking. Once it was like a minor earthquake. Other than that, the aft cabin was quite enjoyable with a great view and large balcony. We would book an aft cabin again.

Art

I agree - the Radiance Class ships ride very well & there is little movement in the aft area with the exception of those 2 instances you state. ;)

Again, this is compared to other cruise lines & ships in the same areas. IMO, the Grand Class ships ride "loose". To me, it feels like driving a Lincoln Town Car vs. driving a sports car. One feels "floaty" & the other feels "tight". ;)

I have been on aft cabins on other cruise lines (aft is my choice) and the only ship I have had a problem on was the Millennium. I didn't think the Grand class was any worse or any better than the other line's aft cabins (with Celebrity being the worst).

I have been on aft cabins on other cruise lines (aft is my choice) and the only ship I have had a problem on was the Millennium. I didn't think the Grand class was any worse or any better than the other line's aft cabins (with Celebrity being the worst).

Coral, that was our bad experience with aft cabins also. It must have something to do with the Millennium. It took me a few years before I was brave enough to book another aft. But with Princess, except for a problem with the ship on one sailing that caused all the movement, we have not had a problem one with movement aft.

Coral, that was our bad experience with aft cabins also. It must have something to do with the Millennium. It took me a few years before I was brave enough to book another aft. But with Princess, except for a problem with the ship on one sailing that caused all the movement, we have not had a problem one with movement aft.

Which ship are you referring to and how bad was it?

I am booked in my first aft cabin in June and this thread has me on a roller coaster ride with nerves. :eek:

Thanks..I feel better. :p

Glad we cleared that one up. Please, don't worry at all, the aft will give you the greatest of views while on your cruise. In fact, you will probably never want to book anything but aft ever again. It is so peaceful back there....................... ;)

Chesneygirl-Don't worry; you'll probably be just fine. Aft cabins are like opinions on food - everyone has a different opinion & experience. Sometimes, just knowing what you might encounter makes it better. ;)

Yes, you are right, just like food motion is very subjective. If you tend to get motion sickness easily you may not want to be far aft or far forward, especially high in the ship. I just got off the Caribbean Princess and we had light-to-moderate seas and some wind the first night. It was amazing how many people were sea sick. At any rate, take preventative measures and enjoy the aft cabin.

Chesneygirl-Don't worry; you'll probably be just fine. Aft cabins are like opinions on food - everyone has a different opinion & experience. Sometimes, just knowing what you might encounter makes it better. ;)

If it was just motion sickness I could deal with that. I just get very nervous when I am not in control. Extreme movement on the ship would cause me to worry especially out in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight. Plus we are sailing from NYC and crossing the Atlantic to Bermuda then more Atlantic waters until we reach the Caribbean. Then on the way home we have 2 full days at sea. I have read on these message boards that the Atlantic is known for having rough waters especially cutting across to go to Bermuda.

Don't get me wrong I am VERY EXCITED about going on this cruise. I just tend to worry too much and most times for nothing. I am sure I will come back from the cruise and be excited to do it all over again! :)

The ship was a Celebrity ship, as stated, the Millenium, and it had to do with bad weather on our sailing and how it effected our aft stateroom.

Unfortunately, my experience had nothing to do with weather. I think the Millie was my first aft experience. I think an upgrade to a suite on Princess was my next experience and it was so smooth. I love Princess aft cabins. Their is a reason they are so popular on Princess!

If it was just motion sickness I could deal with that. I just get very nervous when I am not in control. Extreme movement on the ship would cause me to worry especially out in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight. Plus we are sailing from NYC and crossing the Atlantic to Bermuda then more Atlantic waters until we reach the Caribbean. Then on the way home we have 2 full days at sea. I have read on these message boards that the Atlantic is known for having rough waters especially cutting across to go to Bermuda.

Don't get me wrong I am VERY EXCITED about going on this cruise. I just tend to worry too much and most times for nothing. I am sure I will come back from the cruise and be excited to do it all over again! :)

To be clear, the motion or "shimmy" on the Crown had nothing to do with weather, it just is there.

We don't get sea sick so can't comment on motion, but in general mid ship and slightly aft and lowest decks experience the least motion.

my last cruise I was in Baja 755 on the Carribbean Princess

I loved it, hardly any motion at all! I did feel the "shimmy" that other people eluded to, it's annoying at first, but after the first couple of hours you learn to ignore it. Because the closet in that room runs from port to starward, you'll hear your hangers clanging together until you take them down or put something on them!

Have a great cruise...that is a wonderful room!! Huge..totally private balcony :)

The only bad movement I had on the Crown aft was a sudden tilt to the side. I'm pretty sure it was just as bad in every other cabin on the ship at the same time :).

I've never had anything but an aft cabin so far. There was a slight amount of movement on the Grand and Crown, but I didn't really find it that noticeable after the first hour or two. The hangers do tend to sway a little, but that's solved by taking them down if they're empty. Aft on the Royal I don't know that I'd want again if I was on a cruise that had too much travel above 16 knots. And there it's not really movement, but vibration (and the corresponding squeaking ceiling).

We were on the Emerald a couple of weeks ago. We had a midship cabin but we did a poker crawl to a few different cabins. I am pretty motion sensitive. Actually I tend to get very motion sick and I wear a patch so that I can cruise. I did great on this cruise but when we visited the aft cabins I noticed a BIG difference. I don't think I would have done very well if I had an aft cabin. There was a LOT more movement there. Some days I could handle the aft areas of the ship and some days I could not!

After reading few of the posts I wish if I had booked the aft cabin :( which was available at the time I was booking and it was on CB A756 but I booked on baja in midship. I wanted aft but my fiancee wanted midship jsut becasue she feels that she may get motion sickness.

After reading few of the posts I wish if I had booked the aft cabin :( which was available at the time I was booking and it was on CB A756 but I booked on baja in midship. I wanted aft but my fiancee wanted midship jsut becasue she feels that she may get motion sickness.

Don't be disappointed. You're still in a great location and I'm sure you'll have a great time! Enjoy!!!

We had C753 on the Diamond for our Hawaii cruise last October. While the motion was not bad, just an ever present sway from side to side, and adjusting the hangers in the closets. The noise of the wake on the other hand was too irritating to sit outside.

We would never book another aft cabin, but as stated others love them.

The best test for anyone not booked in one is to go all the way aft on the Promenade deck on any Grand class ship and just listen to the noise while the ship is underway. if it does not bother you, then you will like the cabin, if it does, then don't book it because the noise will be the same.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived