First Time Cruisers....help please!

My partner and I are nervous about booking our first cruise away. We are going for his 50th B'day next year so we want it to be special. He is a very active and loves his scuba diving and gym so we've been looking at a cruise on the Pacific Dawn next June 2009 for 28 days around the South Pacific from Sydney to Tahiti. We are pretty casual people and enjoy movies, dining out but like to have things to do. My questions are:

1. Is this the right boat to be looking at for our first cruise?

2. Is 28 days to long on this boat?

3. Have you any advice on cabins?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks:)

Probably the people on this forum might not be the best people to ask if a four week cruise is too long. We all love cruising.

There are activities during the day, and entertainment at night, so there is plenty to do. Whether this will all appeal to you both is only something only you can answer. Maybe some CCs who have been on the Pac Dawn recently can email some of the daily activities sheets to you so you can get a feel of what happens.

We haven't been on the Dawn, but from the many photos we have seen she looks to be a lovely ship. If you want to try cruising, I think the Dawn would be as good as any other ship operating from Australia.:):)

I think 28days a bit much for your first cruise,there could be many things that don't suit either of you.Probably best to ease into it.Try a 10 day one.The really small trips don't give you the same experience. Thats my thoughts anyway

We did 31 days on Regal Princess, now Pacific Dawn last year, yes a long time. But the ship is big enough for a long voyage. I too suggest maybe a shorter one first time up rather than waste your hard earned $ on a long trip, you may get bored with. As for cabins, go for an oceanview (window.) But it is your decision, some would say..go for it.!

Cheers..Les:cool:

Hi Voyagemarquis,

You've made the right choice in looking at Pacific Dawn to celebrate your partners 50th birthday. You won't regret it. Last January we took our first cruise on Pacific Sun and came off 10 days later wanting more. I could have easily have stayed on for another 10 days.

We are cruising on P/D in 39 days (who's counting) and by all accounts on the boards, it sounds like a nice ship and certainly a great launcing pad for future cruising.

As for activities: on the ship you can do as little or as much as you want. There are plenty of organised activities, bars, pools or just find a deck chair on the aft of the ship and watch the world go by.

The itineary you have chosen sounds wonderful. Who wouldnt want to go to Tahiti.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers

Marg

My partner and I are nervous about booking our first cruise away. We are going for his 50th B'day next year so we want it to be special. He is a very active and loves his scuba diving and gym so we've been looking at a cruise on the Pacific Dawn next June 2009 for 28 days around the South Pacific from Sydney to Tahiti. We are pretty casual people and enjoy movies, dining out but like to have things to do. My questions are:

1. Is this the right boat to be looking at for our first cruise?

2. Is 28 days to long on this boat?

3. Have you any advice on cabins?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks:)

Personally, I would jump at it if I could get 4 weeks off work.

The ship will be fine for a first cruise, but will you? It is worth considering whether it is your pace of holiday, and whether sea sickness plays a part. Scuba opportunities will certainly be available, but additional to your cruise fare.

Is still worth considering, but also worth looking for a shorter cheap priced cruise first to test the waters. Plenty of 7 night Sat-Sat Pacific Sun cruises out of Brisbane that go to Vanuatu or the Qld Coast and often good discounts on them too.

Cabins are a personal thing, but a better cabin will usually cost more. Some love the cheaper inside cabins, as they only sleep there, where others pay a premium for balcony rooms or suites where they can stretch out or relax on the balcony. Depends on your budget really. 4 weeks with a balcony is a lot more expensive than an inside. Midship cabins are more comfortable in rough seas than those that are well forward or aft.

Inside, outside & balcony cabins are a similar size, minis and suites are larger.

Archived