Itineraries

wripro

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but in looking over Seabourn's itineraries for 2009/2010 I see nothing new with the addition of the Odyssey. There will now be three ships sailing Med in the summer instead of two. I was hoping with the addition of the new ship we'd get something different from which to choose. My one complaint about Seabourn is the lack of anyplace to sail where I haven't sailed before. For some people being on a Seabourn ship is enough, but we still want to travel to visit new and unexplored places as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but in looking over Seabourn's itineraries for 2009/2010 I see nothing new with the addition of the Odyssey. There will now be three ships sailing Med in the summer instead of two. I was hoping with the addition of the new ship we'd get something different from which to choose. My one complaint about Seabourn is the lack of anyplace to sail where I haven't sailed before. For some people being on a Seabourn ship is enough, but we still want to travel to visit new and unexplored places as well.

Where is left that the major luxury lines such as Seabourn, Crystal, etc., don't go? It seems that the only major "hole" in the potential schedule would be more of Africa, especially in southern and western Africa. Most of Asian, Austrailia, Europe and the Pacific is covered, plus North and South America. BUT, to reach more of Africa and some other "specialized" ports, do they have the docking and other infrastructure to support many of the larger boats?

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

I could not agree more, I was really disappointed with the new itineraries, apart from a couple of new ports nothing new has been added, they are still the same as they have been for years.

It would have been great to add some different ports in the med especially as the triplets can get to places that the larger ships can't, and it is nice to get off and explore new places

I don't know this to be fact, but I would think that between political instabilities in various "alternative" countries, piracy off the northern and eastern coasts of Africa, logistics, present demands, anticipated demands and probably some future marketing that we are not aware of, I am not sure there are many realistic alternatives.

What might be interesting is if posters provide suggested itineraries that could be tied into each other that travel to the desired ports. Just stating I want go to Morocco or Libya doesn't put the whole picture together...keeping in mind that ports like these have caused problems and disappointment fairly consistently.

Suggestions????

I know there are issues with Africa, but a circumnavigationof the African continent would be nice which includes stops in Madagascar, Seychelles, etc.

How about a circle tour of the entire UK, which includes many more stops in Scotland, Wales and Ireland?

Has any cruiseline ever done an extensive cruise around Australia?

I like the UK cruise. Azamara has one this summer.

Having lived in Australia for a while I can tell you that there are huge areas of pretty much nothing and in other areas the seas are pretty rough. Of course getting to the area is something only the new ships can do in comfort and at proper speeds. Who knows if that is in the plan for 2010 and on?

Australia.

Princess currently sells 28 day circumnavigation cruises around Australia.

Princess, HAL, Celebrity and RCCL all have combo Australia/New Zealand cruises during the southern summer.

Most of the luxury lines visit as part of their world cruises. (not Seabourn, alas!).

Steve.

Silversea (and Regent) have Australia/New Zealand itineraries. There are currently no government restrictions on Libya or Morocco. Having been to Morocco on two occasions, I feel that "land" visits are preferable to cruises. The same appears to be true of Libya. A great future itinerary would include Cuba -- an easy destination to reach by sea -- truly a lovely country (have been there -- hopefully it will become legal for U.S. citizens in the next year or two).

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We were notified two weeks ago that Morocco was cancelled as a port of call due to "unrest." I was initially somewhat disappointed, not having visited before. but better safe than sorry.

The Legend will instead be porting at Cadiz on May 5th.

Jack

Yes, Jack and TC2, the issue is not whether Seabourn "can" go, but whether it is "prudent" to go. There are many times when Seabourn has, in the past, attempted some more exotic ports but then had to cancel them due to unrest, politics, logistics or support that disappeared, etc.

Yes, Regent does have a very nice World Cruise on the Mariner that visits Australia once a year. The suites are quite nice and the ship is very comfortable, but I do not think the service levels are near those of Seabourn. (TC2 should try Seabourn and experience the difference;) .)

I am looking forward to Seabourn's World Cruises; especially as it rolls out the three new ships over the next three years. Then I think the more exotics and longer distanced cruises will happen...and they will be more than a once a year event.

In my experience, inaugural season cruises are often to familiar places, there is a shakedown period in the first season or so, if the unexpected should occur, they have more tried and true contacts in these places and repairs and reworks are more easily taken care of. The first season also has a majority of passengers that are mostly interested in the new vessel and would book no matter what, so new itineraries are not particularily needed.

What might be interesting is if posters provide suggested itineraries that could be tied into each other that travel to the desired ports. Just stating I want go to Morocco or Libya doesn't put the whole picture together...keeping in mind that ports like these have caused problems and disappointment fairly consistently.

Suggestions????

Island hopping across the Atlantic...

Cape Town, Ascension, St. Helena, Praia (Cape Verde) Tenerife (Canary Islands), Sao Miguel (Azores), Hamilton (Bermuda), New York.

Interesting places...lots of sea days!

Island hopping across the Atlantic...

Cape Town, Ascension, St. Helena, Praia (Cape Verde) Tenerife (Canary Islands), Sao Miguel (Azores), Hamilton (Bermuda), New York.

Interesting places...lots of sea days!

Great itinerary, but as you say LOTS of sea days. That could reduce the desireablity for many; an issue when trying to fill a ship; Also, I could see provisioning and fuel being interesting issues. And with that many sea days, trivia could become a real battleground.;)

I don't have the time now, but filling in some blanks to reduce the sea days on that itinerary might be interesting.

I am not sure what the criteria are, but based upon their ages and size I would (intelligently???) guess that one of the biggest and unavoidable issues would be discharges. The triplets do not have terribly large holding tanks and generally can't go more than a couple of days without emptying them. Since Alaska has very stringent discharge requirements the ships probably cannot make it far enough out to sea and then back into port for the next day.

That explains why the triplets cannot go to Alaska. So why not send the Odyssey there for a change? And I like CAshipman's suggestion as well. The reason I even brought up this topic is that anyone who has sailed SB for a longer time has done it all or most of it and is looking for different ports to visit. Maybe there are enough people on CC who are willing to repeat and threepeat ports but there is a whole world of cruisers out there who are not.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but usually a new ship is not immediately sent on a world cruise because of possible problems arising and being able to address them immediately rather then while in some remote area. Also, there is demand for the itineraries with true balconies and more facilities.

Basically, I guess, I see 2009 as a transition year and perceive 2010 as one where there will be some big changes. I am not sure that the 1% (maybe) of Seabourn guests that post here are going to have that large of an impact...though I am sure Seabourn is aware of the concerns and takes them into account.

I think it's more temerity than anticipation. They have been selling these same old itineraries well and might be afraid people won't flock to different ones. Perhaps when the second new build appears in 2010 they may get a bit more adventurous. Or we'll have four SB ships crossing each other in the Med.

Archived