same dress

jks9103

Going on first cruise in April and it has two formal nights. Am I going to be frowned at if I wear the same dress both night? I've been having a heck of a time dress shopping, nothing fits right! I finally found one, it's A-line knee length, black bottom, empire waist, the top is a tanish color covered in black lace with a few beads. The cruise is still a couple of months away and I'll head to the mall probably a couple more times before then, but if I can't find another dress...

My wife tries to pack items that are nice, but not "remarkable" - the kind of thing that doesn't make someone notice you wore the same dress twice.

Having said that, it really depends on how important the whole fashion thing is to you - half the cruise is men, and we don't care (as long as it's clean), and I doubt most of the women would care either (I know my wife would admire the fact you packed smart).

This is really a personal thing - if you are going to worry about it, make a couple more trips to the store until you find what you want. If you can just take the "who cares what a bunch of people I'll never see again think", then you're good. ;-)

Good luck!

If you feel good and confident about yourself and your dress, then it does not matter what the others think. It would really be common of them to say or frown upon you. Wear it twice and hold lyour head up high and proudly!

Annieeee

I always wear everything twice, sometimes three times, I pack three days worth of outfits, send out my laundry every day and repeat every three days, If it's a really long cruise, I might throw in an extra sundress and cocktail dress, it really makes packing and unpacking less stressful and when I get home I have almost no laundry.

I think the only time people notice what others are wearing is if they wear something outlandish. On one of our cruises there were two very short men who dressed like the "wild and crazy Czechoslovakian guys" from the old Saturday Night Live programs. Then there was the lady with the size double D bosom who was squeezed into a b cup cocktail dress.

On a return trip from Singapore I had to pay $80 for overweight luggage and since then I have worked very hard to keep my luggage at minimum weight.

I was wondering the same thing. My family and I are going on a Carnival Cruise March 23, 2008. I was thinking a simple black dress and maybe 2 different light jacket thingies. Good info everyone. Thanks

Great idea. A pretty shawl is also good at disguising the same-dress-on-2-nights.

You will be fine. I've had to do the same thing many times. We've had a couple of 14 and 15 day cruises and if we didn't do double duty on some things we'd still be hauling luggage at the airport! Like the above poster wrote, change it a little with a shawl or sweater (which you can also wear with something else) or different shoes. No one will think anything about it other than you are a wise packer and a seasoned traveler. Mix and match is the best thing to do.

Going on first cruise in April and it has two formal nights. Am I going to be frowned at if I wear the same dress both night? I've been having a heck of a time dress shopping, nothing fits right! I finally found one, it's A-line knee length, black bottom, empire waist, the top is a tanish color covered in black lace with a few beads. The cruise is still a couple of months away and I'll head to the mall probably a couple more times before then, but if I can't find another dress...

You describe a very pretty dress. Wear it as many nights as you like, no one will notice more than that you look great.

It's funny, I usually wear my day clothes twice, but I'm one of those weird girls and bring atleast 5 dresses:eek: I never get dressed up at my work, so this is the only time I can go all out. Wearing a dress twice is no big deal! Have a great time, you'll love cruising!

Happy cruising, Pam

Another "trick" to wearing a dress twice is to wear it to an alternative restaurant if your ship has one. That's what I plan to do next week... I'll wear my gown to the diningroom on the first formal night and then to the alternative restaurant on the second formal evening. That is, IF I can convince my family that's the night to go there. LOL If not, I will wear the dress twice to the dining room. I'm SO tired of dragging a heavy suitcase and then not needing/wearing everything I bring. I figure, if I run out of clean clothes I can send things to the cleaner OR I can buy new. ;)

One thing I did this time, to help cut down on how much I bring, is to buy two piece "dresses" for casual night. If you put the top and skirt on together it looks like a dress... but I can also wear the top for daytime with capris or shorts. I can throw a white t-shirt on with the skirts for a totally new look, too.

My mottos for packing this week will be:

Less is best.

When in doubt, leave it out.

:)

I wear clothes two-three times on a cruise. I've not yet worn the same dress twice, but I would, especially if it were a little black dress.

My feelings are that if someone else has a problem with you wearing the same dress twice it will be their problem, not yours.

In the past I've taken two dresses (or formal outfits, I tend to like seperates instead of dresses), but on casual nights, the same black pants get worn over and over, sending them out for cleaning in between. I've also started shopping for cocktail length dresses instead of long dresses, far easier to pack.

To be completely honest with you, unless you are cruising a high end line or ship, the whole formal night thing has become less dressy over the years. Some of the higher end cruise lines are giving up the whole formal thing and advising country club casual. I think a lot of people are weary of packing so much extra stuff and the cruise pax for the main stream lines are a more casual crowd overall. You still see long dresses, but not so many gowns, you still see men in dark suits, not nearly as many tuxedos.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, I kind of wish that dinner would be semi-formal every night. I'd not mind wearing a cocktail dress, or dressy pants, my husband in a suit or sportscoat every night.

If you love the dress, wear it more than once. As others have posted, see if you can change it up with different accessories.

heck, for the cruise my sister and i are going on this spring, our gameplan is to each pack three or four dresses and then trade with each other throughout the cruise! we are very happy that we currently wear the same size!:D

I've just bought a dress that can be worn 20 ways (including 2 ways as a skirt)- even if I can only remember how to tie the dress in 4 ways, it will be enough . That is going to see me through 2 formal nights and 5 weeks of holidays ... and best of all its made from stretchy material that doesn't need ironing!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! OP here, and I found another dress today! At JCPenney for $40.00 (a lot of dresses were marked 50% off). I'm also happy to say it's not black, it's green, darker than mint green but in that color family.

For those of you having a hard time finding a dress for formal night. My advise is to just try it on, even if you think it's going to fit funny or not look right. I thought the straps on this dress were going to be too thin to wear a normal bra under it but I was wrong. The straps are wide enough and they have a little string and snap thingy to hold the bra strap in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey JKS

I would just go ahead and wear the same dress twice. Actually I think that most people would admire you for being smart about not packing a load of clothes. It really is a pain to pack 2 pairs of shoes, accessories etc.. I know that you could buy a dress that you could wear the same shoes with, but I would not really worry about it. I'm usually self consious about that stuff, but I was realllllllllly relaxed about it. The people on the ship did not care either. Just have a good time. If you feel someone is giving you the look then they are not really worth socializing with anyway. You Go Girl! Have a good cruise. Droop:D

Archived