newspapers on board

Former Goalie

There is a NY Times that you have to ask your room steward for. Unfortunately we learned this from our tablemates on our second last day of our Diamond Hawaiian cruise. I missed a newspaper so I was pretty unhappy to learn of this. I don't know why the steward didn't offer it.

Last February on the CB, we received abbreviated daily photocopies of a Canadian newspaper. We did not have to ask for them. They just showed up in our cabin and we were pleasantly surprised. We thought that was such a nice gesture on the part of Princess.:D In the library, there were always photocopies of different US newspapers in binders.

On all my recent cruises, as noted above, there have been notebooks in the library that have a few pages from various newspaper of happenings. There was the NY Times, papers from London, Australia, and some others. They were updated daily and there were about 3-4 notebooks. It was interesting reading the same news item in "foreign" papers. Of course the other way to get the latest news is to go on the internet and read articles. 'When you go ashore you can also pick up a English paper at a hotel or newstand.

The answer is yes. If you don't have a card in your cabin when you arrive then ask for one. You have a choice of several papers at a nominal charge. I chose to have the satellite version of the USA Today delivered to my room daily. I don't remember the exact charge but I do remember it was reasonable and that it was 5 or 6 legal size pages stapled together. It was delivered to our room daily about mid-morning.

It varies by ship.

On some, it is as the previous poster stated with a daily charge. You can request that at the purser's desk.

On others, there is none available at any price for Americans. On my most recent cruise, they did deliver (for free) a news summary for Canadians, British, and maybe some other countries. When I asked, I was told that since the TV channels have American news, they felt that was sufficent for those from the USA. (Of course it is debatable how much American news CNN international really has.)

I don't remember seeing any on the Tahitian Princess this past summer. And, there was never anything in the Patter that said they existed. I'm a morning paper "junkie" ... but I must admit, while in French Polynesia I never missed it. I never even checked the library (which I've always done on past cruises) to see if any summaries were there.

Back before ships all had televisions in each cabin (yea, I do remember back that far ;)), and TV's now have some sort of CNN or other satellite news channel, the ships offered a form of newspaper they printed off. But now that they have the news available at the click of your remote, I haven't noticed them being available like they used to be.

Does anyone know if these papers are available on the Tahitian Princess?

Im December, none from the USA. Yes for some other countries.

And don't count on the TV for much USA news. CNN is CNN internation with much time devoted to world sports and business. Fox news is mainly political commentary.

On a recent 24 day cruise on the Royal there were no papers of any sort available. TV news consisted of CNN International and sports coverage was soccer 24/7. When I complained, the Princess rep told me they were accomodating the foreign passengers. When I mentioned that only 5% OF the guests were other than North American and that 22 of the 24 days were accomodations enough, she said that they were following orders from headquarters. C'est la vie.

There were no newspapers on the Tahitian Princess last February. The TV has CNN international and Fox News. I'm a news junkie but did not miss newspapers at all. When you're in Paradise, the last thing you want to do is read about bad news. However, it was fun to watch my Colts win the Superbowl while anchored off Moorea. What more could you ask for?

The answer is yes. If you don't have a card in your cabin when you arrive then ask for one. You have a choice of several papers at a nominal charge. I chose to have the satellite version of the USA Today delivered to my room daily. I don't remember the exact charge but I do remember it was reasonable and that it was 5 or 6 legal size pages stapled together. It was delivered to our room daily about mid-morning.

I guess its a reasonable charge if you aren't use to getting complimentary news summaries. Up until our last cruise on the Grand Princess in October we had always received the TimesFax or some such paper for no charge on Princess or any other cruise line we were sailing. Now it's apparently another way of making money. We had to satisfy ourselves with the international news on TV.

Archived