If NCLA folds - POA to Star & POAm to NCL

DAGVBSB

My friends daughter is working on the Pride of Hawaii, and according to her, the Hawaii operation will be ending. The date isn’t known, but it is coming to an end soon. She also indicated that Disney wants to take over the Hawaiian cruise market after the exit of NCLA. This of course may only be “crew rumors” but I wouldn’t be a surprise if it is true. Star made it public some time ago that they were only willing to lose X about of dollars before it would come to and end. Frankly, the sooner Star is out of NCL all together, the better.

My friends daughter is working on the Pride of Hawaii, and according to her, the Hawaii operation will be ending. The date isn’t known, but it is coming to an end soon. She also indicated that Disney wants to take over the Hawaiian cruise market after the exit of NCLA. This of course may only be “crew rumors” but I wouldn’t be a surprise if it is true. Star made it public some time ago that they were only willing to lose X about of dollars before it would come to and end. Frankly, the sooner Star is out of NCL all together, the better.
I hope is just a rumor!! We hope to take our second NCLA cruise in February of '09 (on the POAM).

So is there an official date for this or should I be OK with my plans to sail the Pride of Aloha this Wednesday?

I wouldn't worry about your cruise at all. Remember, even when the the Hawaii was being pulled there were a few months notice.

I did notice though on our cruise EVERYTHING in the gift shop that said "Pride of Aloha" was on the closeout table (except for one style of tee shirt)

What time does that convert to on the mainland - say, LA or NYC?

There are lots of cruisers concerned about it, as well as very concerned about the impact of NCL's pushing the government into modifying the rules re: foreign flagged ships. Wouldn't that be just great - NCLA messes it up for the cruiselines doing R/T LA or San Diego to Hawaii, and then they pull out of Hawaii!

What time does that convert to on the mainland - say, LA or NYC?

There are lots of cruisers concerned about it, as well as very concerned about the impact of NCL's pushing the government into modifying the rules re: foreign flagged ships. Wouldn't that be just great - NCLA messes it up for the cruiselines doing R/T LA or San Diego to Hawaii, and then they pull out of Hawaii!

My guess, one ship will remain in Hawaii

AND IMO if I'm right they should've given more time to see if they could have been successful with two ships

So if they send one of the ships packing out of Hawaii...........What is the time frame? What's the speculation as to when it is yanked out?

Hopefully, in just a few hours we'll have the answers to all the speculation.

Anyone want to book one of those cruises that is still up on the booking engine and see if they get a good offer if the cruises are cancelled ;) . And if the offer sucks, we could always just cancel LOL

My guess, one ship will remain in Hawaii

AND IMO if I'm right they should've given more time to see if they could have been successful with two ships

Private investment firms don't waste time... SS Independence leaving last week is a good example.

Private investment firms don't waste time...

And they're not always right either

But I'm pretty sure we both agree that this was planned out as part of the agreement with Apollo

I'm sure glad I sailed NCLA Hawaii when I did!!!

Private investment firms don't waste time... SS Independence leaving last week is a good example

...except that Apollo and NCL have "no stake" in NCLA at this time. It is all Star's to keep or lose until at least the end of the year, under the sub-agreement. They are shouldering all of the financial/fiduciary burden for profit and loss during that time frame.

...except that Apollo and NCL have "no stake" in NCLA at this time. It is all Star's to keep or lose until at least the end of the year, under the sub-agreement. They are shouldering all of the financial/fiduciary burden for profit and loss during that time frame.

Good points

Damn you star cruises, damn you! LOL (but it is still all speculation, and we'll never know who said what to whom and when)

I agree, but NCL has a interest in seeing NCLA succeed in that they would be involved in the long run if NCLA's financials improve. It will be so much easier when Star gets out of the picture though...

The offical annocument will be at 1PM HST on the Pride of America. I will post when I have any more updates.

I would just like to say that Jamesb478 is NOT a crew member for NCLA, NCL or Star. He was at one point but no longer works here. His name is James Bia.. and is not me.

I don't know this JamesB poster but I do know the real James from NCLA, and its really annoying that someone is trying to use James's name to post things, James has helped a ton of people out on CC as well as through his blog, and this other James is slandering the real James's great name.

I am not using James's (ohioNCLcruiser) name, my name is James too (we are two different people) and I posted something that wasn't even suppost to be out till later on, I am sorry I posted it and I in no way am affilated with ohioNCLcruiser.

Colin Veitch is in Hawaii right now. POA's final Hawaiian voyage will be around the first week of May. Massive staff cutbacks in Honolulu office will result in shifting responsibilities to Miami. Continued commitment to Hawaiian market serviced by one American flagged ship, the POAm.

Archived