If NCLA folds - POA to Star & POAm to NCL

DAGVBSB

Good to hear that the POAM is staying around for a few more years, however!

I think we'll have to see. Just because there are itineraries announced and bookings being taken until 2010, it doesn't mean that continuing bad numbers might not lead to the last ship being withdrawn as well. The chances are much smaller, because there is some market for these Hawaii cruises. And with NCLA slimmed down to a one-ship operation, it's got a bigger chance of matching supply to demand.

Good to hear that the POAM is staying around for a few more years, however!
I think we'll have to see. Just because there are itineraries announced and bookings being taken until 2010, it doesn't mean that continuing bad numbers might not lead to the last ship being withdrawn as well.

Very true - scheduled cruises can be cancelled. From comments by Colin Veitch that are shown in http://starbulletin.com/2008/02/13/news/story03.html - it comes accross that if they don't get the requested rule change, they'll take the ship somewhere else.

Why anyone, ever, would chose to sail NCL/A after following what the management is doing is beyond me. They deserve a boycott.

Funny thing is, they are being boycotted - by the paying public.

I guess I'm beyond you then :D

Very true - scheduled cruises can be cancelled. From comments by Colin Veitch that are shown in http://starbulletin.com/2008/02/13/news/story03.html - it comes accross that if they don't get the requested rule change, they'll take the ship somewhere else.
that doesn't sound too encouraging...maybe we should book for 2009 rather than 2010 afterall

Why anyone, ever, would chose to sail NCL/A after following what the management is doing is beyond me. They deserve a boycott.

Funny thing is, they are being boycotted - by the paying public.

I guess I'm beyond you then :D
and so am I;)

Once the Aloha leaves in May the America will be the ONLY 7 day Hawaiian cruise. They sure won't have a problem filling the ship with guests with more expensive tickets. The America will also have the best of the best crew, staff and Managers. I think we will be here for a long time. I would tell my family to book in 2010 without thinking twice.

James: It's good that you are so loyal (and I MEAN that, because employee loyalty is a rare find any more), but it is sad to see that Colin Veitch and his colleagues are not being loyal to YOU.

Now, the company is appealing to Hawaii officials to change their stance on the proposed rule change, but efforts have met with resistance, Veitch said.

"No one has taken seriously enough that ships once here can go away again," he said.

Above quote from this article:

http://starbulletin.com/2008/02/13/news/story03.html

Essentially, he is saying that (despite their promise to keep PoAM in Hawaii through 2010) they could pull her out at any time if the proposed PVSA regulatory changes do not go through almost immediately. I don't want to use the word blackmail, because that is a very strong term, but I am hard pressed to think of another term that describes what they are saying in these most recent comments.

Once the Aloha leaves in May the America will be the ONLY 7 day Hawaiian cruise. They sure won't have a problem filling the ship with guests with more expensive tickets. The America will also have the best of the best crew, staff and Managers. I think we will be here for a long time. I would tell my family to book in 2010 without thinking twice.

I agree with you. Why Mr. V continues to go against the CLIA trade organization which they are a part of is beyond me.... NCL is only creating a large amount of enemies right now.

Essentially, he is saying that (despite their promise to keep PoAM in Hawaii through 2010) they could pull her out at any time if the proposed PVSA regulatory changes do not go through almost immediately. I don't want to use the word blackmail, because that is a very strong term, but I am hard pressed to think of another term that describes what they are saying in these most recent comments.

Just like when they announced the pullout of the POH from Hawaii, they said that the POA and POAm would be offering Hawaii cruises for many years to come... Well the POA's "many years" lasted 3 months after the departure of the POH.....

You can't believe a word they are saying. I look for the POAm to be reflagged and NCLA out of business by the end of the year. We are thinking about doing Hawaii in 2009, but I already told my family that I don't think we should take a chance on NCLA. Anyone with a booking after December had better have a back up plan just in case.....

Even though he did state that, you also have to look at the other factors, and the POAM has higher customer satisfaction ratings than many other NCL ships, she is also making a promising profit now as well. I believe that Colin doesn't want to admit that NCLA over saturated the market and now is forced to cut back and start from the beginning. NCL has done a great job now with trying to help passengers that were booked on POA, and I would feel comfortable booking on POAM, even if anything happens you know that NCL will take care of you.

Just like when they announced the pullout of the POH from Hawaii, they said that the POA and POAm would be offering Hawaii cruises for many years to come... Well the POA's "many years" lasted 3 months after the departure of the POH.....

You can't believe a word they are saying. I look for the POAm to be reflagged and NCLA out of business by the end of the year. We are thinking about doing Hawaii in 2009, but I already told my family that I don't think we should take a chance on NCLA. Anyone with a booking after December had better have a back up plan just in case.....

I'm in the same boat as you. We were planning a May09 cruise for 6 of us and at this point I would have to say we will not go. Unless there is a tremendous turn around within NCL/NCLA, over the next few months, it's off our radar. There is no way I would consider making a reservation to go and have them pull the rug out in 6 months. There just seems to have been a better way to do all this.

Dan

Archived