Am I getting ripped off?

rucruisn2

I booked a cruise with a TA prior to the new pricing policy going into place on Celebrity. Now I want to change my stateroom to a higher category. Same ship, same sailing. I am being charged the current inflated rate. Shouldn't I get some sort of better price because I did book the cruise earlier?

I believe when you upgrade to a higher cabin category, you would pay the going rate as of now for the new category, regardless of how much the price has increased.

I would stick with your original cabin and try for a last minute upgrade, which might be cheaper on board the ship.

Good Luck!

SDCruiser

What "rip off"?? If you don't like the price don't cruise....if enough people take their money elsewhere the price will reflect this. We have no right as consumers to demand the price we see as acceptable...the right we have is to take our money and leave.

What "rip off"?? If you don't like the price don't cruise....if enough people take their money elsewhere the price will reflect this. We have no right as consumers to demand the price we see as acceptable...the right we have is to take our money and leave.

Good point! It just that we have gotten spoiled. You must admit that these prices can be a shocker.

I quess what really ticks me off is that when I asked my TA the price to upgrade 2 weeks ago the price was $150 less than today. The price hasn't changed in the 2 weeks on Celebrity's website. I'm not asking for something for nothing, but I don't think it is fair for my TA the keep the entire commission on the price difference since I did book prior to the policy change. Yes, I should have made up my mind 2 weeks ago, hind sight.

After 9-11 when no one wanted to travel, the public was treated to some unbelievable bargains in the travel business. We have all enjoyed those bargains and have become accustomed to those prices. There were also many new ships built that were not being filled. Times have changed and many more people are traveling again. There is also a large increase in the price of fuel. It's not surprising that the prices are creeping up. If they get too high the market will adjust out of necessity. Let's not forget, however, that businesses have to make enough to provide the kind of experience that their customers are looking for or they won't stay in business. We all want the best deals we can find but there has to be some relationship between cost and value.

You need to be one of the first passengers on board to have the best selection of available upgrades, if there are any left.

First, however, check in at the pier and board the ship as soon as possible.

Then onboard, go to the pursers desk immediately. If there are any cabins left, the purser's desk will give you the price to upgrade at that point.

I would monitor what cabins are still open 48 hours prior to your sailing, by going to one of the online travel sites, and pretend to book a cabin for your sailing. This will give you an idea of what's left.

Good Luck!

SDCruiser

Everyone keeps talking about Prices being raised by Celebrity. The prices really haven't gone up that much. The difference now is that we are not getting the discounting that we used to get.

I'm sorry, you may be correct in your own case, but not in mine. I've been watching the Celebrity Website and my prices have gone up over $500 per person. When I booked my cruise the price for a CC was $2,450, it's now $2,950.

Cruise Junky,

Yes.................but that was happening all along. As the ship fills up and there are fewer cabins available the price will go up. Fewer cabins + high demand = higher prices. Many cabins + no demand = lower prices. In both cases there is no discounting.

Cruise Junky,

Yes.................but that was happening all along. As the ship fills up and there are fewer cabins available the price will go up. Fewer cabins + high demand = higher prices. Many cabins + no demand = lower prices. In both cases there is no discounting.

What demand? my cruise isn't until October 2005, so far I can find three other people who are sailing on it, and the cabin selection available hasn't changed in months.

Cruise Junky,

Demand is there...ships were going out full from European ports this summer. The number of available cabins you can see is not really a reflection of the percentage of cabins available on any sailing. For one thing agencies block group space on specific sailings. They know that when the first of the year rolls around, they will have a prime inventory of well located cabins. Barring a major terrorist incident, they will be able to sell this space as nicely as they did this summer. If they can't sell their inventories, they give the space back to the cruise line- which again, depending on demand, may cause prices to drop. But on Europe itineraries...doubtful.

You might want to consider checking with other large online agencies to see if you can't get a better located cabin within blocked space that they may or may not have.....sometimes my agent just can't get the cabin I want because a large consortium has taken a whole slew of cabins on a particular cruise I want. Shopping around sometimes solves that dilemma.

I just realized yesterday that if you book your cruise, or any travel, with an AE TA and put the trip on your AE card, if the price is over $2500, you get a rebate on $150. Surprisingly, their cruise price was excellent also. But even so, I'm biting the bullent and booking the bigger cabin with the original TA for putting up with me.

Cruise Junky,

You might want to consider checking with other large online agencies to see if you can't get a better located cabin within blocked space that they may or may not have.....sometimes my agent just can't get the cabin I want because a large consortium has taken a whole slew of cabins on a particular cruise I want. Shopping around sometimes solves that dilemma.

Thanks, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I change locations. I have an FV on Deck 7 :) and plan on keeping it.

Archived