Canadian Money?

My teenage daughter and I will be visiting Vancouver this summer, and for her birthday prior to the trip, I would like to buy her a set of uncirculated 2008 Canadian coins as a way of getting her a little excited about the trip. I also want to give her a Canadian $100 paper note to spend while we are there.

(This way she cannot spend the money BEFORE we get there).

I found a website that sells the coin sets, but WHERE can I get a $100 paper note?

I would like it to be NEW and uncirculated if possible.

The Royal Canadian Mint sells uncirculated coins, http://www.mint.ca. They also have some lovely collectible issues.

Bank notes are trickier. You might want to check with your local banks to see if they have what you desire. While a small local branch may not stock Canadian currency major branches, especially in business areas of larger cities probably have some on hand.

One caution, as with most robust currencies, Canadian bank notes are often counterfeited. Make sure that any purchase you make is from a reputable supplier. The Bank of Canada web site offers some guidance on recognizing good notes, see http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/en/banknotes/index.html.

Some Canadian retailers do not accept bills larger than $50. So you may want to consider $20 or $50 bills instead.

I just thought, as a teenager, that she would get more excited about a $100 bill.

Now, I am not so sure.

Maybe I should just print a "copy" of one... possibly oversized to make a bigger impact, and then wait until we actually get to Vancouver to give her a REAL one.

I just thought, as a teenager, that she would get more excited about a $100 bill.

Now, I am not so sure.

Maybe I should just print a "copy" of one... possibly oversized to make a bigger impact, and then wait until we actually get to Vancouver to give her a REAL one.

Legally speaking any copy of legal tender needs to be either 25% larger or 25% smaller than the original. So making it larger or smaller is a good idea.

Legally speaking any copy of legal tender needs to be either 25% larger or 25% smaller than the original. So making it larger or smaller is a good idea.

That is why I said that. I work in the printing industry so I knew of that law, and did not want anyone on here to act like I was being illegal.

The more I think about it, I am pretty sure this is what I will do :)

My teenage daughter and I will be visiting Vancouver this summer, and for her birthday prior to the trip, I would like to buy her a set of uncirculated 2008 Canadian coins as a way of getting her a little excited about the trip. I also want to give her a Canadian $100 paper note to spend while we are there.

(This way she cannot spend the money BEFORE we get there).

I found a website that sells the coin sets, but WHERE can I get a $100 paper note?

You should be able to get a Canadian $100 from any major bank in the USA, although they may have to order it in for you. Why not order some Canadian dollars in advance of your trip, and include a $100?

There are two common Canadian $100 notes, the older ones tend not to be widely accepted due to counterfeiting issues. The newer ones (with the foil strip) are widely accepted.

• 4 weeks later...

And if you find a bill with the picture of a Scottish guy wearing a tam on his head... it is actually legal tender in Canadian Tire stores. :)

ct%20money.jpg

I suppose my Tim Horton $50 bill is no good either - except at Tim Horton's, eh!

My Cruise History:

BC Ferry (Seattle to Vancouver)

Actually BC Ferries have never operated Seattle to Vancouver.

Are you thing you thinking 'BC Steamship' from Seattle to Victoria? (Princess Marguerite, Vancouver Island Princess) or Stena, or the Princess Marguerite III (aka Queen of Burnaby -- leased from BC Ferries) operated by Victoria Clipper?

but what really stinks is the exchange rate.......my HOTEL actually was better than banks or change houses last week....for 40 bucks i got about 38! :eek: i liked it better when i got close to 30 CDN for 20 US!!!;)

That's okay, we like it better this way. Of course, you could do something to change the exchange rate... go out and vote!

but what really stinks is the exchange rate.......my HOTEL actually was better than banks or change houses last week....for 40 bucks i got about 38! :eek: i liked it better when i got close to 30 CDN for 20 US!!!;)

Sorry for your luck but it's our turn now. :p ;) :D

Archived