Wine

Scuba

I believe Carnival's official policy is one bottle of wine or champagne per person. I usually bring 3 for a 7 day cruise and never had a problem.

Regarding the corkage fee, the dining staff is suppose to charge it every time they open a bottle. Over 9 Carnival cruises, I have never been charged the corkage fee. I just tip the head waiter or the assistant waiter, whoever opens the bottles (usually the ass't), a few extra $$s on the last night. Some people tip upfront but the staff knows that you will take care of them if they take care of you.

Check the Ports of Call for wherever you're sailing from. Lots of questions about where to buy booze/wine on those boards and locals to answer the questions.

Since I normally fly, it just isn't worth using the valuable luggage space to pack a bottle of wine. I'm just not going to take a spare suitcase to load up with booze.

BUT, since I'm driving this year, I can take as many suitcases and pack as many goodies as I want. :D

I just have to be sure they're well packed with lots of insulation in case the porters aren't as careful as I would hope! Or buy the new boxes, gift wrap them, label them "fragile" and give a nice tip.

I am serious about my wine and have a cellar that I have been building since the 80's. I bought a great 12 btl. "armor plate" travel case several years ago (bountyhunterwine.com) that is always with me when I cruise (or do land vacations) It is a SERIOUS case that always delivers the wine intact. I can enjoy wines I have been waiting to grow...who cares about the corkage...they don't sell what I drink on cruise ships.

Check the Ports of Call for wherever you're sailing from. Lots of questions about where to buy booze/wine on those boards and locals to answer the questions.

Since I normally fly, it just isn't worth using the valuable luggage space to pack a bottle of wine. I'm just not going to take a spare suitcase to load up with booze.

BUT, since I'm driving this year, I can take as many suitcases and pack as many goodies as I want. :D

I just have to be sure they're well packed with lots of insulation in case the porters aren't as careful as I would hope! Or buy the new boxes, gift wrap them, label them "fragile" and give a nice tip.

Good idea. Just noticed there is a "Florida Departures" board.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I solved this problem by purchasing a $5 bag called Wine Mummy to transport wine and spirits in checked luggage. It's a padded, zip-sealed bag that protects bottles when transported inside checked luggage. It held both sizes, our wine and champagne bottles. Found it at winemummy.com

I was told when booking my cruise the we are allowed one bottle a person to be carried on. If we would like to bring the wine to dinner there will be a corkage fee.

I was wondering if we were able to also bring on a pack of coke or water?

Does anyone know?

I was told when booking my cruise the we are allowed one bottle a person to be carried on. If we would like to bring the wine to dinner there will be a corkage fee.

I was wondering if we were able to also bring on a pack of coke or water?

Does anyone know?

Yes, rules say (or said on my last two sailings) a "reasonable amount" of soda or bottled water can be carried on. One bottle of wine or champagne and one 12-pack sodas each is what we carry on, no problems, no need to hide them, no worries....

Archived