How Many Suitcases??

ilovewdw

My family and I are going on our first cruise together in 2 months. We leave 4/27 on NCL Spirit, from NY. I CANNOT WAIT!!!

Anyway, I have been on cruises before. But that was when I was 18, 19, 20 & 21. Single with friends. ;)

In my cabin, it will be me, DH, DS 6, DD 2 1/2. I am anticipating needing A LOT of stuff. Not sure we will participate in the "formal optional" nights, so no need for a suit for DH and a dressy dress for me. I know I will need LOTS of stuff for the kids (books, beach toys, Leapster and cartriges, coloring books, crayons, dolls, etc, etc.)

How many suitcases are you ALLOWED to bring on per person? The kids each have their own smaller suitcases. DH and I each have our own large one. Plus I am SURE we will need an extra medium sized one. I will also be trying to pack some 12 packs of soda in there, too!:eek:

HELP!

No limit. Since you don't have to fly to the port, you are not limited to 2 checked bags per person. You can use larger duffle bags if need be for the children's items. You can store the luggage under the beds after unpacking to give you extra space.

No limit. Since you don't have to fly to the port, you are not limited to 2 checked bags per person. You can use larger duffle bags if need be for the children's items. You can store the luggage under the beds after unpacking to give you extra space.

True... by not flying there is not the airline limits. But to add to what montekat has noted is you need to think about how you are getting to and from the port. If parking your own car, then you know it's limits. But if going in a taxi or van then you need to consider their capacity.

As far as the cruise line is concerned, there is no limit. The two places there are limits for you are the car to the ship and in your cabin. Remember there are going to be 4 of you in a small cabin, so you will want to get everything possible out of sight. This will mean either under the beds or in a closet.

my question is.... where to put LARGE suitcases?

I am only bringing 1 and it is huge. I'm just wondering if it will fit under the bed. I just did a quick measurement... it's roughly 28x20x10.

I just figure... if i have to check a bag, why not put it all into one.

the carry on i have is not big enough, so i'm borrowing this from the kid's girlfriend.

Many people try to bring the kitchen sink with them. It's obvious when you are on the way out of the terminal and you see the mountain of luggage being conveyed on carts, a lot of families could not manage all their bags on their own.

My suggestion will differ from others. Instead of trying to pack for the entire week, send some things out to be laundered, especially for the kids. Yes it is costly, but probably cheaper than buying new clothing for the cruise.

We've cruised formal night both times we were on NCL and to be honest with you, it's hard to tell the formal dressers from the casual dressers. It was the one thing we liked about NCL, we didn't have to haul along my husbands suit.

For my husband and myself, we pack one large suitcase, one garment bag and one carry on, all shared, not per person. We spend about $20-30 for laundry during the week and we take home only dirty clothes at the end. If you pack light enough you should be able to do it with 3 suitcases and one carry on.

Be careful packing those sodas or the cleaning cost can be a whole lot more than buying soft drinks on the ship ;)

my question is.... where to put LARGE suitcases? I am only bringing 1 and it is huge. I'm just wondering if it will fit under the bed. I just did a quick measurement... it's roughly 28x20x10.

I just figure... if i have to check a bag, why not put it all into one. the carry on i have is not big enough, so i'm borrowing this from the kid's girlfriend.

10" just might make it. If it doesn't then your cabin steward may be able to store it for you. It also helps if you bring cases that can fit inside of each other.

Since I don't travel with young children, I don't know for certain what activities are onboard for them. I strongly suggest you check that out to see if maybe you can lighten the load of toys/activities. If you can keep it to a few stuffed animals, coloring books/crayons and bedtime story books, that will help a lot. See how much you can scale down the beach toys or if there are 'rentals'. Don't pack anything you consider "just in case" as the children will be off schedule and I don't think they will become bored. See if the ship has a game room - like checkers and such for the boy. The more they offer, the less you schlep!

Clothes-wise, consider packing items for the children that are easily rinsed in the sink to be re-worn. Obviously there will be some items that become too heavily soiled to do this with, and do budget for sending out laundry as you can trim the amount of clothing needed for all of you. Do what you can to mix and match. Nobody will care or notice if you wear the same thing twice. I do strongly suggest 2 bathing suits, tho, and lots of sunscreen and aloe or other post-sun soothing lotion.

Good luck and have a great time!

my question is.... where to put LARGE suitcases?

I am only bringing 1 and it is huge. I'm just wondering if it will fit under the bed. I just did a quick measurement... it's roughly 28x20x10.

I just figure... if i have to check a bag, why not put it all into one.

the carry on i have is not big enough, so i'm borrowing this from the kid's girlfriend.

Our Large suitcase is 12" high and it fits under the bed of the ships we have been on.

>>Our Large suitcase is 12" high and it fits under the bed of the ships we have been on.

Great!! thanks for that... i think that is the deciding factor on what bag to bring... 1 instead of 2... since i have to check it anyways. [i was really hoping I could get away with not having to check any bags ... but DH was saying we're not in any hurry ... so may as well check them. Then i also dont have to deal with all the TSA stuff ... just walk on thru.

Most ships have a 200 lb per person limit--but I can't imagine ANYONE needing 200 lbs of anything! If you fly, then you are limited by the airlines rules. (and the damn airlines are getting stingier by the minute!) Bring whatever you want!

I wouldn't pack the soda. Since you are driving, make your last stop before port a convenience store. You can just carry the soda on saving a lot of room in your suitcase.

So you're allowed to just bring the 12 packs or cases of soda onboard with you? I won't be sent to the naughty room? :confused:

>>so you're allowed to just bring the 12 packs or cases of soda onboard with you? I won't be sent to the naughty room? :confused:

Yes - you are able to. i believe it states "a reasonable amount of non alcoholic beverages"

I pretty much only drink water, and Dh could live on Diet Pepsi -- he dislikes coke and i hear they usually have Coke products on board.... so were going to bring some a long.

>>so you're allowed to just bring the 12 packs or cases of soda onboard with you? I won't be sent to the naughty room? :confused:

Yes - you are able to. i believe it states "a reasonable amount of non alcoholic beverages"

I pretty much only drink water, and Dh could live on Diet Pepsi -- he dislikes coke and i hear they usually have Coke products on board.... so were going to bring some a long.

This is great news! Here, I was thinking that everyone was going to have to sneak a 12 pack in each suitcase. If it's allowed, I will have everyone take a 12 pack and not have to hide it! (we have 2 cabins, 5 adults 2 kids) Thanks!!!

Archived