Getaway-Queen Vic.

Seadreams27

Hi guys.

Thought you might like to know that getaway is doing a special on the Queen Vic. tommorrow night at 7.30.

Don't know whether the programing is the same in NSW as in Vic, but it might be good for an onboard look.

Thanks for the heads up. With Foxtel, I don't watch a lot of the FTA channels. Will certainly be tuning in tomorrow. Programming is usually the same apart from news, except I don't think you get Underbelly yet!

Thanks for the heads up. With Foxtel, I don't watch a lot of the FTA channels. Will certainly be tuning in tomorrow. Programming is usually the same apart from news, except I don't think you get Underbelly yet!

OOh yeh and underbelly is really good. Victorians should definitely use those "other ways" and watch it.

Yes saw that promo for Queen Victoria on Getaway, Thursday night, lovely ship..personally though I do not like the idea of segregated restaurants i.e. they put you in a restaurant according to the level (cost) of accommodation. In other words the corporate people who book the pricey accom do not dine with the ordinary folk who book the cheaper cabins. Also the top tier of guests have their own lounge on Cunard.

All Cunard ships have the above arrangements to the best of my knowledge, but that is British 'class distinction - like the Titanic.!) Not to my taste, bit snobby. I like the 'run of the ship.'

Cheers..Les:cool:

Yes saw that promo for Queen Victoria on Getaway, Thursday night, lovely ship..personally though I do not like the idea of segregated restaurants i.e. they put you in a restaurant according to the level (cost) of accommodation. In other words the corporate people who book the pricey accom do not dine with the ordinary folk who book the cheaper cabins. Also the top tier of guests have their own lounge on Cunard.

All Cunard ships have the above arrangements to the best of my knowledge, but that is British 'class distinction - like the Titanic.!) Not to my taste, bit snobby. I like the 'run of the ship.'

have to agree with you Les.

I thought that sort if cruising went out the window long ago.

Karen

Do not know the man, but he was introduced as UWE, German or Austrian?

Carnival own Cunard as well, so could be the ex Pac Sun Exec Chef, what a promotion for him eh, he must be very good, good onya UWE.

Cheers..Les:cool: :confused:

I taped it and watched it.

Like les, I was amazed when they said they had class distinction dining. I dont know how that would go down in australia.

I also thought there did not look to be too many people around during the taping.

While i had heard of the gentlemen hosts, i thought they spoke too long on that and not enough on seeing the cabins and decks etc.

Not sure if it is for me but maybe in a few more years i may change my mind

While i had heard of the gentlemen hosts, i thought they spoke too long on that and not enough on seeing the cabins and decks etc.

Yes, I have to agree with you Karon. I thought the "tour" was rather disappointing.

Karen

Les,

....and that is why the upper class rate Cunard so highly, so they don't have to mix with the likes of me!

Cheers

Geoff

have to agree with you Les.

I thought that sort if cruising went out the window long ago.

Karen

At the risk of being flamed (and you can easily see that I have recently started cruising on Cunard, but will by no means be abondoning my beloved HAL), I wanted to add some additional perspective to this discussion.

While it is true that Cunard does provide separate dining rooms for the Grills passengers, the trend towards "getting more" when you "pay more" is quite universal these days.

Take for example the Garden Villa suites on the Norwegian Line - they have their own private pool, hottub and sundeck, for the suite itself alone.

Holland America suite passengers have their own private lounge with food and concierge and get a complementary dinner in the speciality restaurant.

Many of the high end suites will arrange to have the main dining room selection served to you privately en suite (not just the room service menu). Many of these suites also have their own spa tubs on their balconies.

Cunard's "class system" may have started out as that (although, if you had the $$ I would expect that no one was turned away), but these days, almost universally, cruise lines worship not "class", but the almighty dollar. The more you pay, the more you get.

A few years ago, I shared your same impression. However, after experiencing it recently, I can assure you, it is not about class. Now, there is another aspect that you may also find unappealing and that is that even on the most casual of nights, gentlemen are asked to wear a jacket to dinner (sans tie, if they wish) and in the public rooms.

Now that causes a lot more consternation among "the common folk":eek: than the dining room situation!;)

Ok, flame away!:D

Ok, flame away!:D

Nah, Australian board. We are way to tolerant, and your thoughts are well presented anyway.

Class & money often share the same bed, but not always. As Cunard sticks with traditional roots, it still appears as a class structure, but you are correct - Whoever comes forth with the money first gets the cabin, regardless of their life status.

Nah, Australian board. We are way to tolerant, and your thoughts are well presented anyway.

Class & money often share the same bed, but not always. As Cunard sticks with traditional roots, it still appears as a class structure, but you are correct - Whoever comes forth with the money first gets the cabin, regardless of their life status.

arxcards:

Thanks for treating me fairly as I did not intend it as a "troll" attack, but was a little worried that it might be taken as such. And I have always viewed Aussies as having a large measure of both humor and generosity, not to mention a reasonableness often lacking in this country. One day, I surely will come visit your fine and beautiful country, most likely first on a liner. My buddy in Melbourne has been nagging me for some time to visit, but I think he will get here before I get there. And if anyone thinks Cunard is stuffy, come check out the Cunard boards, and you shall likely find, at least among the regular posters, that they are a mischievous, witty and kind-hearted lot without pretension, but with a strong defensiveness regarding the "dress code"!:D

Archived