what can you tell me about the Sailaway Seafood Buffet

DonnaK

When we sailed on the Caribbean Princess, this was a dinner option in the Cafe Caribe. In addition to the more usual buffet items, there were trays with cold, peeled shrimp (quite large) and cold cracked lobster claws and split crab legs. It was mentioned in the daily Patter and I believe began at 6:00 pm.

We ate later in the evening and made this the basis for our hors doeuvres (spelling?).

Enjoy your cruise.

The seafood buffet is held at the same time dinner is being served in the dining room.. It started about 6pm and boy was it crowded and sooo good.

Since it is only on selected ships-- what about the Crown-- will it be served on that ship?

Is the Sailaway Seafood Buffet worth skipping the dining room? I enjoy dressing up for dinner and being waited on, so I'm afraid doing the Buffet would be somewhat disappointing. What are your opinions? Is the food good enough to sacrifice the dining room experience especially on the first night of the cruise? Or would you just stop by there on the way to the dining room?

Is the Sailaway Seafood Buffet worth skipping the dining room? I enjoy dressing up for dinner and being waited on, so I'm afraid doing the Buffet would be somewhat disappointing. What are your opinions? Is the food good enough to sacrifice the dining room experience especially on the first night of the cruise? Or would you just stop by there on the way to the dining room?

only you can make that decision: if dressing up and being pampered is one of the things you cruise for, go for the traditional dining that night. On the other hand if part of your cruise experience is enjoying great seafood save the dressing up for the other 6 nights or more and enjoy the seafood. For us, dressing up is the last thing we cruise for, we did that too many years in the corporate world. We cruise to relax, see lots of places and meet new people plus we love seafood. We know others, that think the words cruising and being waited on mean the same. It is all what you enjoy the most.

Nita

We rarely miss dinner in the dining room, but my love for seafood led me to do just that recently on the Caribbean Princess. We were not disappointed!

On the CB the seafood was extremely good.

When we were on the Crown, the seafood was absolutely wonderful.

Claws were huge, sweet, succulent, and juicy.

Crab legs were tender, moist, and tasty.

Shrimp were delicious, firm and flavorful.

My experience was that the claws were too wet; lots of water came out when cracked open. Perhaps on ice too long.

Shrimp was not firm enough.

Crab legs OK, though I prefer mine steamed and not cold.

As the OP stated, way too salty.

Hopefully this was just my "bad" week on the CB. Would I ever pass up a seafood buffet? NEVER!

Pia

We thoroughly enjoyed it. We sailed a B2B on the CB last year, and it was available as soon as we got on the ship (11:30) Crab is served cold however the butter was hot, the peeled shrimp were delicious, nice, firm and plenty of cocktail sauce! Although after doing a B2B, I didn't want to see another crab leg again, we over indulged a bit.:p I would deffinatly say its worth skipping the dining room for, even if you don't, your going to wonder what your missing, and if it turns out not to be your cup of tea, well than no harm no foul. You can leave there and still make it in time for dinner seating. :D

We went to the Seafood Buffet just after sail-away on the Crown. I didn't find it all that exciting. Had some for appetizers but really glad we got dressed up and went to our traditional late seating. I think if you like being waited on in the dining room, you will be disappointed.

Archived