Money questions

I have a question about how people handle the money while on a european cruise. It's my understanding that US credit cards are not widely accepted. So what does every do for money. DO you bring US travelers checks and buy euros while in port? IF I do a private tour, then I think you have to pay cash. Please enlighten me as the best way for a family of 7 to pay for our expenses while on the cruise. Thanks for your experiences insight

What we do is bring with us from home 400 E's to meet first day expenses from the airport onward till our first day in a port of call. Then at the end of each day (prior to getting back onboard for the evening) I'll hit a ATM and take out what I estimated for the next day. I'll do that each late afternoon and it has always worked out fine for us. That way I'll only have in my pocket what we need for the day and no more and no excess. All other monies remain in the safe in our cabin.

Now as far as the c.c. is concerned we used visa exclusively along with E's. All other cards back in the safe. I try to keep it simple. . . . . I have plenty other things on my mind.

That's where we're coming from while in the big E.

CIAO, :)

I don't know who told you cc's were not accepted in Europe, we have used both vise and mastercard in France, Spain, Greece, and Italy with NO problems. In Turkey they prefer their own currency.

I read it in frommers and someone posted it on this site. Something to do with our credit cards not having a chip or something. I have used them in the past but it's been quite a few years

What we do is bring with us from home 400 E's to meet first day expenses from the airport onward till our first day in a port of call. Then at the end of each day (prior to getting back onboard for the evening) I'll hit a ATM and take out what I estimated for the next day. I'll do that each late afternoon and it has always worked out fine for us. That way I'll only have in my pocket what we need for the day and no more and no excess. All other monies remain in the safe in our cabin.

Now as far as the c.c. is concerned we used visa exclusively along with E's. All other cards back in the safe. I try to keep it simple. . . . . I have plenty other things on my mind.

That's where we're coming from while in the big E.

CIAO, :)

Thanks for the advise. Dont think 400E would cover a family of 7 for excursions and I need to look as to what the daily limit for cash advances. Everyone is so helpful on these boards

I took traveler checks last time and cashed them in on the ship for whatever money I needed. Many credit cards charge interest on foreign transactions. Capital One doesn't but make sure with them you have the chip in the card.

Did the ship charge a fee when you exchanged traveler's checks for Euros?

The best way to get money is through your ATM. Just make sure you tell your bank ahead of time where you'll be traveling and when. You can bring some euros with you from home to cover first day expenses, but any airport in any major city you arrive at will have an ATM. Credit cards are widely accepted all over Europe. I've never had anyone turn me down. And most taxis will accept them as well. But credit cards usually charge a higher foreign transaction fee than do ATMs, which is why ATMs are recommended.

As for paying for private excursions, you should ask them in advance what type of payment they accept. Some only take euros, some will take credit cards, etc.

As for traveler's checks, it's not recommended. Many places will not exchange them for euros anymore unless you go to a bank, and if you go to the bank, they charge a hefty service fee for your travelers check. Also, finding a bank can be difficult and if you are in port on a Sunday, then nothing will be open.

I IF I do a private tour, then I think you have to pay cash. Please enlighten me as the best way for a family of 7 to pay for our expenses while on the cruise. Thanks for your experiences insight

It is definitely best to check with your tour operator. The people I have booked for 3 tours in Italy will take US and/or Euro traveler's checks. I also intend on having my bank up by withdrawal limit, and my husband and I will each take a debit card in case we need a second one.

In the last 2 years I have had no problem using my credit card in Europe.

I have a question about how people handle the money while on a european cruise. It's my understanding that US credit cards are not widely accepted. So what does every do for money. DO you bring US travelers checks and buy euros while in port? IF I do a private tour, then I think you have to pay cash. Please enlighten me as the best way for a family of 7 to pay for our expenses while on the cruise. Thanks for your experiences insight

Where is the world did you hear that there is a problem with US credit cards? That is absoutely inaccurate. Both MC and Visa are very widely accepted in Europe (its a good idea to notify your credit card companies in advance of your itinerary) and AMEX is also widely accepted although not in as many places as MC and Visa. As to travelers checks, these are no longer popular and you might have more problems cashing TCs than using a credit card. Many banks will no longer cash a TC without very good ID (such as a passport) and there are usually fees associated with cashing TCs. Its better to cash you TCs on-board and than convert the dollars ashore (much better rates than on-board). Most experienced travelers to Europe rely on their ATM cards for cash (we haven't used anything else in over 15 years).

Hank

Where is the world did you hear that there is a problem with US credit cards? That is absoutely inaccurate. Both MC and Visa are very widely accepted in Europe (its a good idea to notify your credit card companies in advance of your itinerary) and AMEX is also widely accepted although not in as many places as MC and Visa. As to travelers checks, these are no longer popular and you might have more problems cashing TCs than using a credit card. Many banks will no longer cash a TC without very good ID (such as a passport) and there are usually fees associated with cashing TCs. Its better to cash you TCs on-board and than convert the dollars ashore (much better rates than on-board). Most experienced travelers to Europe rely on their ATM cards for cash (we haven't used anything else in over 15 years).

Hank

Here is "where in the world" I heard about the credit card issue....I was asking how people handle things if this is the case

http://www.frommers.com/articles/4793.html

We used our American Express the most. Then Mastercard and Visa. They were accepted almost everywhere we went. Rome, Naples, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Pisa/Florence, Nice/Monaco/Monte Carlo, Provence and Barcelona. The only card we didnt see accepted very much was Discover.

We used them for hotels, restaurants, some shopping (not in markets at individual booths - altho alot of them took credit cards too)

We used debit and credit cards to pull cash off ATM's (check your card for foreign fees) and also took travelers checks and exchanged on the ship. No fees but do not convert more than you will need (we did it on a daily basis) as the rate to convert back is lower than get them. So you lose $$

We took quite a bit of cash also. I like to be prepared so we take it all :D DH took half and I took half. Had money wallets so kept it close. Never had a problem with pickpocket issues.

We used our American Express the most. Then Mastercard and Visa. They were accepted almost everywhere we went. Rome, Naples, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Pisa/Florence, Nice/Monaco/Monte Carlo, Provence and Barcelona. The only card we didnt see accepted very much was Discover.

We used them for hotels, restaurants, some shopping (not in markets at individual booths - altho alot of them took credit cards too)

We used debit and credit cards to pull cash off ATM's (check your card for foreign fees) and also took travelers checks and exchanged on the ship. No fees but do not convert more than you will need (we did it on a daily basis) as the rate to convert back is lower than get them. So you lose $$

We took quite a bit of cash also. I like to be prepared so we take it all :D DH took half and I took half. Had money wallets so kept it close. Never had a problem with pickpocket issues.

Thanks for the wonderful tips and comments. It's all so helpful

When you carefully read that Frommer article, one could conclude that the pub probably did not want to accept the CC (we have seen this before when some tourists will try to charge small amounts (such as less than $25) and probably used a convenient excuse. We have watched some Americans try to charge purchases of less than $10 and been told no. We have also seen some European merchants charge a higher amount for using CCs or also give a discount for using cash (this is not legal in many parts of the USA). If you want to read a really decent article on using money in Europe try this:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneytip.htm

That article also mentions the smart card issue but has it right.

"Some European countries are beginning to introduce credit and debit cards with embedded "smart chips. You may see signs or keypads referring to this new technology. For example, British cardholders must enter a PIN in order to use new chip-embedded credit cards in retail stores. But non-chip cards, such as those used by most tourists, will still spit out a receipt for you to sign."

Hank

Did the ship charge a fee when you exchanged traveler's checks for Euros?
Legend of the Seas charged 5% in December, 2007, for exchanging cash or traveler's checks. The fee was hidden in the exchange rate. "No fee" does not mean "no cost".

Thanks for the advise. Dont think 400E would cover a family of 7 for excursions and I need to look as to what the daily limit for cash advances. Everyone is so helpful on these boards
I hope you are checking for your debit card's withdrawal limit, not how much of a cash advance you can get with your credit card.

ATM withdrawals with a debit card usually are the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way for US residents to get foreign currency. Large ATM withdrawals, as a family of seven may require, will be a challenge. An ATM will have a maximum amount it will dispense, and you and your bank will have a maximum daily withdrawal. If you need more than either limit, you will need to be creative, withdrawing from multiple accounts.

ATM's are not the only option. My price checks have turned up the following rate ranges:

0% to 3% most credit cards for purchases (not cash from an ATM!)

0% to 3% most debit/ATM cards for international ATM’s + $0 to $5/transaction.

1% to 16.5% foreign exchange kiosks in foreign countries

5% for euros on the Legend of the Seas in December, 2007

5.5% Wells Fargo foreign currency or traveler’s checks + $8 delivery for most customers

7% AAA Visa TravelMoney Card ($4.97 activation, $2.00/international withdrawal, other fees)

8% Travelex online for foreign currency or traveler’s checks (6% for AAA members), credit card purchases treated as cash advance; there may be other fees.

-

Note that a cash advance credit card foreign currency withdrawal might cost 3% of the amount of the cash advance but not less than $10, plus 0% to 3% currency conversion, with interest at 22% APR. Ouch.

Card rate comparisons are available here:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

I try to keep my foreign exchange costs less than 3%, but the 5% offered by my cruise line was not far out of line. Obtaining $1000 worth of foreign currency would cost $50 and eliminate a lot of hassles. You might check with your cruise line to find out their rates and see if they would work well for you.

We took 800 Euros; $300 US (lot of small bills for tips/washrooms); and our Visa card. Had no problem with our Visa card anywhere although some smaller restaurants in Rome did not accept any credit cards. We only took money out of an ATM once - Rhodes - no problem with our Visa Bank Card.

We bought our tickets for our Vatican Tour and Colosseum entrance on-line in advance; we emailed our Tour Guide in Turkey and verified we could pay in US Dollars; all other excursions were thru the ship which we booked and paid for before we left on the cruise. The limo company said we would need to pay in Euros. We used the same limo company from airport to hotel ((35E), to port (110E + 50E deposit on return trip) and back to hotel (110E-50E deposit).

An important note: do notify your credit card company where and when you are going to minimize problems with approvals.

We also travel with one spare credit card (different account) in case we encounter a problem with the one we usually use.

Have a great cruise.

Kathy

We've cruised in Europe 3 times, and spent extra time in the U.K. Our money system worked very well for us, and we had no problem on any of our trips. The countries we traveled in were from England east to Croatia.

First, about the cc problems in Europe. There was a period of time last year where certain credit cards were involved in cc scams, so merchants were reluctant to accept them. I think it might have been American Express. We have used our Capital One and Southwest Visa cards extensively with absolutely no problems.

We now use Capital One, because yes, they do NOT charge the foreign purchase 3% fee. I got my bill a week after we got home last May, and we were charged only the conversion to U.S. dollars. We used it for everything we could.

Cash:

We have an account with BofA. They partner with Barclays Bank. Barclays is ALL OVER Europe, and if you use them there is no ATM fee: all you pay for is the conversion. We could get cash in literally every port we stopped in, and of course, anywhere in England.

Check the Barclays web site to make sure they have an ATM in the airport you fly into. Get some Euros at the airport ATM. If you don't have time, then just go to the money exchange booth and pay the extra fee to get enough to go to the ship. Buying Euros in the U.S. just to get you into a country is really overkill IMO. If you have ship's transpo, then get the Euro's on board the ship.

We used the ship's currency desk as our Plan B for getting Euros. Their exchange fee is about 3%, and they round up to the nearest dollar, so have some different denominations with you to make the exchange round up in your favor. One gentlemen kindly gave me a dollar during one transaction!!

OK, when you find the Barclay's ATM (if you use BofA) take the maximum in Euros. Put it in a neck puse or some safe place on your person. I use a neck purse tucked under my top, and carry no purse. DH carries no wallet, and we use my neck purse for all our cc and money.

So, now you have Euros to last for "X" period of time. When you need more, go to another ATM, or just get money on the ship.

Between Capital One cc and Barclays ATMs, we had no problem, and saved a bundle in fees, too!!!

On multiple advice this site I have ordered Capital One mastercards for self/spouse, they also assure me that there will be no currency conversion fee. As for ATM machines, we are inexperienced. We have opened an account at Capital One bank and obtained debit cards. Have been told that we will be reimbursed ATM fees and will have to request any modification in $440/day/card (= $880/day) limits. Anyone have experience using a Capital One debit card in ATMs in Europe?

Thanks,

David

On multiple advice this site I have ordered Capital One mastercards for self/spouse, they also assure me that there will be no currency conversion fee. As for ATM machines, we are inexperienced. We have opened an account at Capital One bank and obtained debit cards. Have been told that we will be reimbursed ATM fees and will have to request any modification in $440/day/card (= $880/day) limits. Anyone have experience using a Capital One debit card in ATMs in Europe?

Thanks,

David

Not really, but as long as you are using a 4-digit PIN with it at the ATM, you should be OK. It's good they reimburse the fees and keep up with the competition, because many European ATMs don't charge, and Barclays doesn't even charge it up front with BofA. As long as you get the fees back, then you're good to go!!!

Cash: We have an account with BofA. They partner with Barclays Bank. Barclays is ALL OVER Europe, and if you use them there is no ATM fee: all you pay for is the conversion. We could get cash in literally every port we stopped in, and of course, anywhere in England.

Bank of America also partners with DeutschBank. We pulled euros off at ATM's thru this bank in Rome. Only charged the conversion. So there are two options with this card. Probably more..... anybody know of any more?

Not really, but as long as you are using a 4-digit PIN with it at the ATM, you should be OK. It's good they reimburse the fees and keep up with the competition, because many European ATMs don't charge, and Barclays doesn't even charge it up front with BofA. As long as you get the fees back, then you're good to go!!!

Just to reiterate this - it must be a 4 digit pin. If you have a six digit pin, you must go to your bank and change it. I don't know if this is applicable in all countries, or just some - it didn't matter to me, since my bank uses a 4 digit pin.

Also, in Turkey, there was some issue about not being able to use a "visa" debit card, it had to be a straight "debit" card - it may differ in your bank, but we just went to our bank, and got a straight atm card without the visa logo, and used this at the atm in Istanbul.

Archived