Luggage Weight Restrictions

RePeteN

How can we weigh our luggage before arriving at the air terminals???

Leaving to go on vacation is difficult...returning is most difficult. We will be returning with gifts...noticed if we go over the weight limit there are hefty charges.

How does everyone go about this??? :confused: :confused:

...that doesn't answer the original question, which is also something we'd like to know - how do you find out how much your luggage weighs?

...our current plan is to pack them and take them either to the airport or to a greyhound depot, where hopefully they can weigh them for us...

cheers,

the Imagineers

You can use a bathroom scale. If you can't balance the suitcase on the scale, weigh yourself first. Then weigh yourself holding the suitcase. Use elementary school subtraction to get the weight of the suitcase.

You didn't say where you were traveling to/from, so here are some generic thoughts:

Tricks for reducing weight....buy liquids and aerosols at your destination (such as mouthwash, saline/contact solution). At the end of your trip, leave liquids behind and don't bring them home (their value is probably less than the overweight charge they cause). Pack consumable items in sizes so that they'll run out at the end of the trip -- don't bring a full tube of toothpaste if only going for a week; take one that is already half-empty, and then leave any dregs behind. Ditto with things like shaving foam, hair spray, deodorant, sunblock and the like. If you "pre-time" how fast you go through things, you can know in advance what "sizes" you should take.

For perfume/cologne: Take the smallest bottles you have - don't tote those with fancy heavy packaging, it's just dead weight. (You know what I mean - those bottles that can do double duty as paperweights)

Seriously look at your choices in shoes -- they probably weigh more than any other single item. Take the minimum number you need, and wear the heaviest ones on your flight. Don't take extra belts with big buckles, don't pack books, don't pack "unique" clothes -- by that I mean, clothes that can only be worn with one "outfit" or combination. Let's say you have a choice between two pairs of slacks - take the one that can be used with the most combinations. Same with shoes.

Finally, before anything goes in the suitcase, ask yourself two questions: "Can something else fill this function for less room and/or weight?" and "Do I REALLY need this, or am I just taking it 'in case'?" With judicious use of a packing list ACCURATELY listing your real needs, you should be fine.

Finally, if you are planning to bring back many gifts, look into the cost of shipping them home rather than flying with them. Also look into just what you are buying as gifts and plan to get smaller, lighter items. Your "traditional gifts" might just be better replaced with other choices.

They do have scales at luggage stores that go up to 100 lbs., I think. They run around $20. Money well spent, considering how much they charge for overweight luggage! They are small and you can pack them in your carryon (or luggage). It's a hook with a scale on it.

How can we weigh our luggage before arriving at the air terminals???

Leaving to go on vacation is difficult...returning is most difficult. We will be returning with gifts...noticed if we go over the weight limit there are hefty charges.

How does everyone go about this??? :confused: :confused:

Just back from round trip International flight to Asia. I purchased a $12 hand held luggage scale at a travel/luggage store. It really helped us alot, especially on the return. We did lots of shopping but I was able to get all four bag just below the 70# limit. I had it all done before leaving for the airport. It is well worth the investment if you want to avoid overage charges.

Thanks to all...ideas and suggestions really will help. I did see luggage that had a scale already built in. Nice...but seemed a bit pricey just for that one additional piece of equipment.

Say...keep the suggestions coming. Really like the idea of bringing one way items. I searched web and believe seeing the scale for $20...although that will add weight.

Has anyone ever shipped items back to themselves using FedEx or the like???? How does that work...do they have a pick-up at the pier?? What about at the last port of call??? Carry the 'heavy' items off and bring to the carrier...seems that could also save some cost and trouble at the air terminal.

Hey FlyerTalker

I was in Bed Bath and Beyond last week and they sell 3oz. bottles made just for traveling. I think it was a package of 12. Perfect for traveling! Just put your favorite mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, fluids, etc. in each one. Keep the ones you really need for your carry-on and check in the rest. If you are really desperate for weight coming home, just pour out all fluids coming home or just put what ever is left in the carry-on as long as it fits in that one quart bag. I keep the one quart bags for my return flights and pack the fluids in them in advance so all I have to do is pull it out and throw it in the plastic bin...really quick and easy.

If you're concerned that one of your suitcases will be over the limit, make sure that bag is weighed first (when you check-in). If it's over, then remove it from the scale, pull something out and shove it into another suitcase- and try weighing the heavy bag again. Once you're under the limit-put on your zipties or locks and let them tag it. Then weigh the rest of your bags; hopefully all your bags won't be over the limit!

We put heavy items (shoes, books, chargers, etc) in our carry-on bags. And as for books-consider bringing books that can be left behind.

If you're on a cruise ship that has a fitness center, most have scales to weigh yourself. If you're concerned about heavy souvenirs, roll your packed bag to the fitness center, weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding the bag. Simply subtract.

Keep the ideas coming! My DH will appreciate any hints you can give me to keep my packing under control!

I couldn't find a luggage scale so my DH bought me a small fish scale for 5 bucks. It weights up to 50 pounds so if I stay under that I should be fine with bringing home stuff.

Yes, that is basically what a lot of the luggage scales are, just small fish scales. I bought a regular luggage scale for about $12, but saw almost the identical thing in the fishing equip. section of the store.

Much appreciate the help...one more question.

Am. Airlines list the size restriction to 62". What is that?? Simply the tallest the luggage can be?? Or do I add length + width + depth??

Any ideas???

Yes, add the length+width+depth. My 29" suitcase comes in under the 62" limit.

If you are in the market for new luggage look at the weight of the suitcases as well as what you will be packing in them.

Be sure to cross pack. I use compression bags as well as zip locks and divide everything we can by the number of suitcases we carry and pack accordingly. I use the ship's laundry services and wash out a few things each day to cut down on what we take.

Normally it is my DH's shoes that tip the scales. Now he wears the heavy clodhoppers, even if he has to remove them for TSA. He no longer takes his patent shoes for formal nights either.

I do use a hand held scale. We have had to unpack at the airport one time too many!!!

Enjoy your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the regional European carriers restrict you to 20-22 kilos total and 8 kilos to carry on. Any suggestions to get down to that size when you are cruising for 27 days? Other than mailing one bag home?

Some of the regional European carriers restrict you to 20-22 kilos total and 8 kilos to carry on. Any suggestions to get down to that size when you are cruising for 27 days? Other than mailing one bag home?

You think that is a problem - I have a flight from Athens to Crete that restricts me to 33 pounds. This will be at the end of a 2 week OAT cruise/tour of Greece.

That should be a fun packing job.

DON

Say...keep the suggestions coming. Really like the idea of bringing one way items. I searched web and believe seeing the scale for $20...although that will add weight.

The hook scale is less than a lb. It is definitely worth it.

http://www.target.com/SwissGear-Embark-Luggage-Scale/dp/B000JESKS6/qid=1206232462/ref=br_1_1/601-2349330-4593734?ie=UTF8&node=1042210&frombrowse=1&pricerange=&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=1042210&rank=price&rh=&page=2

Here is a modern looking one.

http://www.target.com/Digital-Luggage-Scale-Blue/dp/B000WUXPT6/qid=1206232567/ref=br_1_4/601-2349330-4593734?ie=UTF8&node=1042210&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

WE pack to "extra" bags for gifts and what not. I also packed a luggage scale. The night before our cruise ended, I stood in the hall and weighted and repacked until all my suitcases were under the limit. We also packed our carried our maximum carry-on allotments.

You think that is a problem - I have a flight from Athens to Crete that restricts me to 33 pounds. This will be at the end of a 2 week OAT cruise/tour of Greece.

That should be a fun packing job.

DON

Don,

Curious only, what airline is this? Is it a small puddle jumper plane? Most of the carriers I looked at were at the 44-48 lb limit that narob refers to. I have Air France flights from Paris to Rome with the 44 lb for checked luggage and 26 lbs for carry-on. I would never be able to make a 33 lb weight for a 2-3 week vacation.

Rick Steves always amazed me on his trips with a small 22" or 23" suitcase.

Good Luck and have a great trip!

Archived