All Things LIBERTY of the Seas

krmlaw

The Liberty code was fun .... do not play with someone who's extremely competitive !!!
We're definitely going to do this!
2. Do all rooms have mini-fridges? We have a D1 balcony.
This question is answered incorrectly quite often: The rooms DO NOT have refrigerators. What they do have is coolers. They're like the coolers that you can hook up to your car, the kind that doesn't need ice. They will keep cold things cool, but they will not bring room-temperature things to cold (at least not without days and days of the door not being opened). If you really want COLD drinks, you should use the ice bucket, which your rom steward will fill for you each day.
3. When you get on the first day can you somehow get tickets to the ice show and tickets to do ice skating right away?
Ice show tickets are easy to get; watch the Daily Compass to see when they're available. I believe the tickets are all general admission tickets, so there's no benefit to rushing to get them.

For your own skating, watch the Daily Compass to see when the ice rink'll be open. They'll open it a couple hours each day. Some of the time may be set aside for families only, some of the time may be set aside for teens only, and some of the time may be set aside for advanced skaters only. But trust that you'll have time available.

I thought of one other thing, for those of you are going on a ship with a Sports Court for the first time. One of the things that surprised me was that the sports that are to be played at any given time are chosen by the ship. The Daily Compass gives times for the court, who is to be there and what sport. For example there was 1 1/2 hours of teen soccer one day. And 2 hours of Adult volleyball another day.
The sports deck is empty at "off-times"; for example, early morning and during dinner. If you really want to play volleyball, you could bring your own ball.

I wonder if they limit the playing time because kids make off with the balls when staff members aren't there to supervise? Or perhaps throw them into the water?

Note- the RCCL clothes sell out. If you see a shirt and it is your favorite, don't wait until the last day, it might be sold out in your size!
I know that I've seen them bring logo items up to the pool area on the last day of the cruise and put them on "sale". Since I really haven't found much in the ship shops that interested me, I didn't really pay attention to the selection or sizes.
outlet in bath can only be used if the lights are on, not good for night lite,
The TV has a clock-channel that makes a perfect night light. You can adjust the brightness up or down, as you prefer.

I'm bumping up the question about robes and hair dryers on the Liberty. Do all cabins have safes, also?

I was told all rooms have safes and hair dryers. The dryers might not be the strongest in the world but they do the job.

I'm not sure about robes.

There are 10 of us cruising on LOS in May 2010. 5 are experienced cruisers, 5 are newbies. One of the newbies is a strick Vegan. What food options are there- we have registered her for a special meal/dietary restrictions. Are there Vegan items at Portifino's?

My wife and I along with our two 6 year old boys will be on this trip. Had a quick question for the group. Does anyone know when RCCL typically starts boarding Liberty? I called them and they say that boarding won't start until 1:00. We are staying in Fort Lauderdale the night before and would like to get on the ship as soon as possible on Sunday to start enjoying and hopefully avoid lines getting on. Thoughts?

I've been reading that people show up around 11-ish and are onboard well before noon.

Thanks a lot for the response. We are staying in Fort Lauderdale the night before and had schedule the car service to take us to the port for noon. Knowing this, I will probably choose to get the service to show up at the port for around 11:00

My wife and I along with our two 6 year old boys will be on this trip. Had a quick question for the group. Does anyone know when RCCL typically starts boarding Liberty? I called them and they say that boarding won't start until 1:00. We are staying in Fort Lauderdale the night before and would like to get on the ship as soon as possible on Sunday to start enjoying and hopefully avoid lines getting on. Thoughts?

It is always possible boarding is delayed. I strongly suggest you bring some snacks for you and more importantly your two 6-year-olds, just in case. At least pack some Snicker bars. You can always take these back with you if you don't need them.

I was booked on the April 2, 2011, LOS -- 8 days of Eastern Caribbean. Now my TA says all April 2011 sailings on LOS are cancelled. I wonder if the ship is going to dry dock. Has anyone heard? :mad:

Edited by Jimnbigd

I'm pretty sure you don't get robes in the balcony cabins. We have done a balcony on both the Voyager and Freedom and didn't get robes. Some people on the boards have said that your cabin attendent might get them for you if you ask nicely and give them a tip. (although I have never tried this personally).

Just selected our cruise on LOS for 4/4/10. Been addicted to the forum All Things LOS. A couple questions still remain:

1. Movie theatre-extra cost? what kind of movies? first run or recent? same movie all week or a couple movies but are repeated all day, all week?

2. Are the daily Compasses pretty much the same on this ship as long as the itinerary is identical? If so, does anyone have Compasses for the western itinerary (Costa Maya, Belize City, Cozumel, Georgetown)?

3. I've only been on one prior cruise (Rhapsody 1/07). Although I loved it overall, it was chilly on the decks when the ship was moving so no one was ever in the pool (even the inside pool). Is this going to be an issue for the time we are going this year? I actually got a snotty response when I called RCCL. The agent told me "I can't predict the weather!" Duh! I'm just curious if this always an issue since I'm not a seasoned cruiser. I figured there's enough folks on here that have sailed during April to where we are going and can tell me if I can at least get in the water once during the week. I understand that future weather is unpredictable.

Thanks for all help.

2. Are the daily Compasses pretty much the same on this ship as long as the itinerary is identical? If so, does anyone have Compasses for the western itinerary (Costa Maya, Belize City, Cozumel, Georgetown)?

Sadly I've been looking for this EXACT Compass for awhile now and have NO luck. I've found other Western itinerary's (haiti, etc) but not ours.

Take good care of LOS... :) We're on her 2 weeks after you!

And do they drain the pools every night?
My experience has been that they drain ONE POOL every night, alternating so that the staff doesn't have to do them all in one day.

Funny story: On one of our first cruises, we saw that one of the pools had a heavy cargo net stretched across it. We wondered why they did this. It couldn't have been to keep people out (because the other pool was left open). We wondered if a child had soiled the water and they'd shocked it with chlorine. The next night we were again walking on deck late, and we discovered the truth: They drain the pools and cover them with the net WHILE THEY"RE EMPTY to prevent (drunk?) people from jumping in and hurting themselves. We happened along at the end of the process and thought -- incorrectly -- that they'd covered a full pool.

I too would like to know how the E1 balcony cabins are on deck 6 - we have one of those booked for May 2010. I am disappointed about the robes - are you sure we don't get them in the balcony cabins?
If it matters to you, ASK for a robe. I've asked and have been given robes in the past -- in balcony cabins. The cabin stewards are very anxious to please you.
Movie theatre-extra cost? what kind of movies? first run or recent? same movie all week or a couple movies but are repeated all day, all week?

3. I've only been on one prior cruise (Rhapsody 1/07). Although I loved it overall, it was chilly on the decks when the ship was moving so no one was ever in the pool (even the inside pool). Is this going to be an issue for the time we are going this year? I actually got a snotty response when I called RCCL. The agent told me "I can't predict the weather!" Duh! I'm just curious if this always an issue since I'm not a seasoned cruiser. I figured there's enough folks on here that have sailed during April to where we are going and can tell me if I can at least get in the water once during the week. I understand that future weather is unpredictable.

Movie theater is a bit of an overstatement; they call it a screening room. It's not a large space -- enough to hold perhaps 30-35 huge, over-stuffed theater chairs. LOVE the chairs. No charge. They show the same 6-8 movies over and over all week long. They tend to show a morning movie, a noon-time movie, an early afternoon movie . . . you get the idea. They're not first-run things; rather, they're more like the just-released items at Blockbuster. The movies will be listed on your Daily Compass.

One note for parents of tweens and teens: The screening room is pretty much unattended. If your kids decide to pop in mid-afternoon to watch something R-rated, something of which you might not approve, no one's going to stop them.

One more note: No snacks are provided in the theater area, but you can bring you own from another area of the ship. They don't have popcorn -- probably because it makes such a mess.

Yes, the Compasses tend to repeat themselves.

April is likely to be ideal during the day, but it will probably be a little cool in the evenings up on deck or on your balcony. I'd bring something warm in which to wrap up. I bet you'll use it -- but if you don't, it won't hurt anything to have been prepared.