Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Pardon me if this has been asked. Do you know which pier Holland America docks at? I am trying to figure out transportation to the airport. Thanks.

Ordinarily it is Canada Place but that can change from year to year and sometimes early in the season ships will dock at Canada Place then get moved to Ballantyne Pier latter in the season. Here is a link to the port schedule from which you can see it is not available yet ... but you can check back. The two terminals are only a mile or so apart.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx

1185 W Georgia to Canada Place is a little over 1km (3/4 mile). In terms of closer car rental, Dollar rent-a-car have an office on Seymour just south of Hastings (about 3 blocks from Canada Place).

Also, are you sure you're cruising out of Canada Place? There are two cruise terminals in Vancouver, Canada Place and Ballantyne. A lot of people end up at Canada Place assuming that's where their ship goes from.

Vancouver Port cruise calendar is here: http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php? but no info yet for 2009

Excellent POINT, thanks alot.

I did call HAL and her said Canada Place but his exact words scarced me a little, "All cruise ships goes out of Canada Place" which I know is NOT true. So, I am going to wait for the schedule comes and see!!

Again thanks,

David:D

Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to go from the port (Island Princess) to the Vancouver airport by taxi? Trying to determine if it is better to take a taxi or use Princess transfer.

Also, anyone know how long it takes to get through the "process" at the airport (immigration, security, etc.).

Thank you

Debr

You taxi fare will run about $35. You will have to line up for one and may have to wait upwards of 60 mins for one. Your dirve time to YVR is about 30 to 35 mins. If are retruning to somewhere other than Canada you must be at the YVR at least 2 hrs prior to your flight and on a busy ship day it can take all of that. If you are returning to the US you may wish to look in the US Direct program which is an expidited process where you go directly from ship to YVR without going thru customs. Here is a link for your convenience:

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/usdirectprocess.aspx

I am looking at the Best Western downtown and was wondering if anyone had any more comments? Looks very nice, the price is good, and it looks to be downtown. Also has a discount for internet booking. Please, y'all help. My sister said I had to make this decsion, and now that it gets down to the nitty gritty I am flustered!!

Best Western Downtown on Drake St. is a good newish hotel, outside of the Granville Entertainment Dist., has a White Spot ....kind of an upscale Applebies, for breakfast and dinner. Has free shuttle to the piers close to Granville Island and trendy Yaletown.....I'd grab it. In that range the only other one that I would recommend is the Blue Horizon on Robson St. but it doesn't have a shuttle.:)

I am looking at the Best Western downtown and was wondering if anyone had any more comments? Looks very nice, the price is good, and it looks to be downtown. Also has a discount for internet booking. Please, y'all help. My sister said I had to make this decsion, and now that it gets down to the nitty gritty I am flustered!!

We stayed there last year and couldn't have been more pleased with our choice. It isn't in the heart of downtown but is close to Yaletown and the Big Red Bus stop is just a short block away. It is about 4 blocks to the water taxi to Granville Island. A convenience store is a block away and a drug store is 2 blocks away. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. It isn't luxurious by any means but it was very nice, spotless, and the bed was VERY comfortable. We used the free internet access while we were there. We were given a room near the top and had a great view of English Bay (?) and downtown. There is also a free shuttle to downtown locations (but not back to the hotel) and a free shuttle to Canada Place (we did tip the driver). It is also a shorter and cheaper taxi ride from the airport. It was less than $30 including a tip.

Have you checked out the reviews on trip advisor? Different people comment on different aspects and might help you decide if it is right for you or not. Here's the link to that hotel. You can check out others too.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g154943-d182070-r23145679-Best_Western_Downtown_Vancouver-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but how secure is the US direct service on arriving air passengers? I'm concerned about the airline removing the tags accidentally. Also how do you confirm they've grabbed your bags properly?

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but how secure is the US direct service on arriving air passengers? I'm concerned about the airline removing the tags accidentally. Also how do you confirm they've grabbed your bags properly?

Have you tried to get those tags off? It is next to impossible without scissors. We have friends who used US Direct to the ship and loved it. It worked great for them and really speeded up getting on the ship. We used it from the ship and would use it again in a heartbeat. It was great.

We now put the ship's tags on our bags before we go to the airport, we have not had a problem with them being removed or coming off; if anything the airlines have given priority to our luggage when loading the aircraft as it is often first on the carousel.

Pardon me if this has been asked. Do you know which pier Holland America docks at? I am trying to figure out transportation to the airport. Thanks.

It hasn't been published for the year yet, but probably Canada Place as it was last year. Check the port of Vancouver cruise calendar for more info.

Just got an email from a lady from Canada Place asking about the schedule since it is not posted on their website. She said that they are having a little difficulties for now but will get straighten out. I asked her would the HAL Ryndam docked in Canada Place in July 2009 and she said YES.

David

We are going to be flying in to Seattle and renting a van up to Vancouver. Where would be the best place to drop off the rental near Canada Place east? Would it be the one on Seymour that was mentioned earlier?

Besides that does anyone else see any issues with us doing this? It seems a little out of the way but we are going to save about 200 bucks per passenger and there are 7 of us. Is it a long process crossing the border, will time be an issue? We will be getting into Seattle at 10:20 a.m. and cruise leaves at 5 p.m.

Thanks for any help

Without doing a search, I think you are renting from Budget...if that is the case then yes the Seymour location would be best. However drop your party and luggage off at CP and then go to the Seymour location, they will shuttle you back to the pier. Double check with the Seymour location and ask if they will accept the van at CP but I suspect not.

This probaly has been answered but there's almost 1000 post...thats more than my eyes can handle going through, so I do apologize if this is a repeat.;)

If we dine out on the town in Vancouver somewhere simple most likely fast food by pender street....will they accept United States Dollars? Or do we HAVE to change to Canadian money before we spend? Will only be there one night.

The short answer is yes you likely can use US currency.

US currency is widely accepted in Vancouver as a courtesy to our American cousins however you will not get the full amount of your exchange which right now is in the range of 17 cents on a dollar. You will also likely get your change in CDN currency so use some smaller denominations.

The short answer is yes you likely can use US currency.

US currency is widely accepted in Vancouver as a courtesy to our American cousins however you will not get the full amount of your exchange which right now is in the range of 17 cents on a dollar. You will also likely get your change in CDN currency so use some smaller denominations.

Thank you very much!

Without doing a search, I think you are renting from Budget...if that is the case then yes the Seymour location would be best. However drop your party and luggage off at CP and then go to the Seymour location, they will shuttle you back to the pier. Double check with the Seymour location and ask if they will accept the van at CP but I suspect not.

I have a rental with Budget and I set it up to return the car to the Budget location at 416 West Georgia Street-- is that not the best location? (Assuming that it is not possible to drop directly at Canada Place-- I have not called to ask about that yet.)

In the list of Budget locations for Vancouver, BC I don't see anything for "Seymour"-- which location is this? Do you know the Budget location code? (E.g., the location code for 416 W Georgia is V01)

Sorry they were for years at the corner of Seymour and Georgia but I see the have moved about 2 blocks to the east of Georgia:o so the 416 W. Georgia location would be the best for Canada Place. If use this link you can see the location relative to Canada Place.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=&btnG=Search+Maps&q=416%20West%20Georgia,Vancouver,BC,CA

Sorry they were for years at the corner of Seymour and Georgia but I see the have moved about 2 blocks to the east of Georgia:o so the 416 W. Georgia location would be the best for Canada Place. If use this link you can see the location relative to Canada Place.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=&btnG=Search+Maps&q=416%20West%20Georgia,Vancouver,BC,CA

Thanks, Putterdude-- glad to see that I picked the right location.

Google Earth (which also now shows the cruise ships and where they are) or Live Search should work. We just booked into the Holiday Inn on Howe Street for 2 nights and will start researching stuff nearby like restaurants....we don't have to tour Vancouver except for Stanley Park and that might take a few hours....what is there NOT to miss in Stanley Park and is bicycling around a good idea...understand you can rent bicycles.

Lou

If you go over to the Canada Board you will find a lot of restarurant recommendations as well as on this thread.

At 1000 acres you can spend a whole day in Stanley Park....even as a person who has lived in Vancouve for more that 60 years I still haven't seen it. Quite right though you can rent bikes on W. Georgia St, as you approach the park and also on Denman St. If you are in the park during the period of mid-June to mid Sept there is a free shuttle service around the park. Here is a link...enjoy:)

http://city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks/stanley/