Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Dan; having established what your parking fees are going to be, you may care to consider turning in your car and use our transit system. I know that people (including myself) like to have a car for a variety of reasons however I will say the our transit system will take you to all of the attractions you are likely wanting to visit. You will saving parking fees at most of these attractions and you won't have the hassle of driving. You can buy a day pass for transit which will cost you $9 or $7 if over 65....these are available at convenience stores throughout the city including in Royal Centre which the Hyatt sits over. Another option would be one of HOHOs which offer a 2 days pass. Here are links for your consideration:

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iTripPlanning&.s={$SID}

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

Thanks for the links, very useful information and we may end up using those for looking around the city, just to save the hassle and parking at the various sites. Unfortunately we cant return the car because of schlepping commitments and having to drive up to Whistler and Garibaldi Park as well. We will actually rent the car in Seattle and will return the car there as well.

Thanks again.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, there are one or two .... but none of them would you or I want to stay in. Any hotel in the downtown area is only about 7 mins and a $12 cabfare from the Pacific Central Station where Amtrak operates from; the station is in a rather seedy area of town.

Edited by Putterdude

We are staying in Coal Harbor at The Loden (locked in through Expedia) - do you have any advise for restaurants, etc in the area? Made reservations for The Fish House in Stanley Park - have you been there? Is it worth it?

You bet, the Fish House is a great restaurant and well worth it...plan on a cab. If you don't want to go that far you could walk to Cardero's which is an upscale marine pub with great views out over the Coal Harbour yacht basin. To the south of you there is Joe Fortes which has been a touchstone in Vancouver dining for over 25 years. To the east of you there is Aqua Riva which also has some terrific views. These 3 are very walkable from the Loden.

http://www.aquariva.com/

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

http://www.fishhousestanleypark.com/

www.joefortes.ca/

You bet, the Fish House is a great restaurant and well worth it...plan on a cab. If you don't want to go that far you could walk to Cardero's which is an upscale marine pub with great views out over the Coal Harbour yacht basin. To the south of you there is Joe Fortes which has been a touchstone in Vancouver dining for over 25 years. To the east of you there is Aqua Riva which also has some terrific views. These 3 are very walkable from the Loden.

http://www.aquariva.com/

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

http://www.fishhousestanleypark.com/

www.joefortes.ca/

Thank you so much, after looking at the pictures of the other places, I might just go there instead of The Fish House. Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city. Happy Canada Day by the way.

Haven't had the pleasure of staying there but a lot of cruisers like it because of the "suite" aspect of the hotel and we who post in this forum often recommmend it for good family accomodation. It is just about a far west in the Dowtown area as you can be, lots of shops including a Safeway and liquor store almost kitty corner, restaurants abound on Denman and Robson Sts, easy walk to Stanley Park and the Aquarium as well as English Bay. About a $12/$15 cab fare to Canada Place. Lots of transit availability. Good safe, west end location.

Haven't had the pleasure of staying there but a lot of cruisers like it because of the "suite" aspect of the hotel and we who post in this forum often recommmend it for good family accomodation. It is just about a far west in the Dowtown area as you can be, lots of shops including a Safeway and liquor store almost kitty corner, restaurants abound on Denman and Robson Sts, easy walk to Stanley Park and the Aquarium as well as English Bay. About a $12/$15 cab fare to Canada Place. Lots of transit availability. Good safe, west end location.

Thank You, I was hoping it was a good place.

Snowbird

• 2 weeks later...

I thought someone might like to know that I got a room at the Hyatt Regency for Saturday night (pre-cruise) for 115 USD on Priceline.com. Of course with Priceline you don't what hotel you are getting until after you have paid your non-refundable reservation. But you can select 4* hotels downtown, and this would seem to be quite a bargain.

I got the Hyatt Regency in May for about the same price point. I have always liked the hotel if only for its location in the downtown core...I have always thought it to be "centre ice". In any event, the rooms were redone for the Olympics and it has many of the old friendly staff that have been there for years....I am sure that you will love it.

I am sailing out of Vancouver next month, and driving up from Seattle the day before. I have hoel rooms booked at the Fairmont Vancouver (the older one, NOT the one near Canada Place). I will have a Hertz car and was planning to return it on Saturday after we arrive, but it appears that they close at 4:30pm and I figure there is a chance we will not make it if we get delayed along the way, or maybe I'll want to keep the car overnight. According to my corporate pricing info from the Fairmont, it's $33 to park there. Are there are any cheaper alternatives nearby (it's a Saturday). Also, does Hertz take drop-offs at Canada Place? I called the Hertz 800 # yesterday and they told me I would have to take it to the downtown location, which appears to be several blocks away from the hotel. I should probably call the office directly, but I wonder if they'll shuttle me to my hotel? I had thought that Hertz had an office at the Renaissance Hotel but that does not appear to be the case.

I had figured that if they took drop-offs at Canada Place, I could drive over there early Sunday morning with the luggage and drop it off, get rid of the car (hopefully before the 24 hours are up so I avoid paying extra), then walk back to the hotel and be able to walk to the pier when we're ready to leave since we won't have our luggage to deal with.

As I mentioned in another thread Hertz is on strike here in Vancouver and have been for many months so they aren't providing all the services that they should. Any yes there Vancouver office is several blocks from your hotel and in the opposite direction from Canada Place - they normally have a kiosk at Canada Place - don't know if that is up and running because of the labour disruption.

You can park at the nearby Pacific Center shopping center on weekends for something like $5.00 all day but I don't believe you can leave it overnight.

Any chance you could use Avis - their downtown depot is next door to your Fairmont Hotel Vancouver and then it would only be about a 4 block walk to Canada Place.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I've done a few searches thru this thread, but haven't found my answer. I've read that the Amtrak station is located across the street from SkyTrain, and SkyTrain is close to Canada Place. What I'm trying to find out is how easy it is to get to SkyTrain (I have read in another thread that it is 8 or 10 lanes and very hard to cross). Are there many steps at the Main street station or the Waterfront station? We are traveling before and after our cruise in October, so may have two pieces of rolling luggage apiece, as well as carry-ons.

Also, are taxis easily available at the Amtrak station, or should we plan on calling for one? Do they take US dollars?

Lastly, our first stop is Victoria. Are US dollars easily acceptable there? I hate to get money transferred over for a taxi and one port stop if I don't have to.

Thanks!

I've done a few searches thru this thread, but haven't found my answer. I've read that the Amtrak station is located across the street from SkyTrain, and SkyTrain is close to Canada Place. What I'm trying to find out is how easy it is to get to SkyTrain (I have read in another thread that it is 8 or 10 lanes and very hard to cross). Are there many steps at the Main street station or the Waterfront station? We are traveling before and after our cruise in October, so may have two pieces of rolling luggage apiece, as well as carry-ons.

Also, are taxis easily available at the Amtrak station, or should we plan on calling for one? Do they take US dollars?

Lastly, our first stop is Victoria. Are US dollars easily acceptable there? I hate to get money transferred over for a taxi and one port stop if I don't have to.

Thanks!

You have too much luggage to use Skytrain easily. You'll be better off taking a taxi. Cabs are usually available outside the Amtrak station and will be around $10 to get you to Canada Place.

You can use US dollars in Victoria, but you won't get much, if any, exchange. Change will be in Canadian dollars.

Edited by ell52

Thanks!

The Main Street station has been expanded over Main St. towards the Pacific Central Station which is where Amtrak comes in so you no longer have to cross Main St. The real issue is can you handle all of that luggage on your own as you also have about the equivlant of about a block or so walking from Waterfront Station to Canada Place...if the answer is no then you will need a cab and there will be a cab line at the station when you arrive. Your fare will be about $10. And yes they will accept US currency as will most merchants and services in Victoria. Here is a plan of the Main St. station.link

Edited by Putterdude

Any chance you could use Avis - their downtown depot is next door to your Fairmont Hotel Vancouver and then it would only be about a 4 block walk to Canada Place.

I may be able to use Avis.. I get corporate pricing from them as well. I have always used Hertz but will price it with Avis. Thanks.

Update: I was able to reserve a car with Avis and do see from their map that it's across the street from the hotel. They're open until 5:30 on Saturday, too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by MisterBill99

Glad to have been able to help - it is not even that far as the entrance to the Hotel Vancouver's parkade is the same one that Avis uses.

Hope you enjoy your visit to our great city and have a wonderful cruise.

Cheers

Dennis