Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

[quote name='maryh307']Thanks Putterdude,
Is the Canada Line your referring to the SkyTrain? From your directions, it appears that we have aprox.a 5 block walk from the Vancouver Centre Station to the Sutton Place. Is this correct? Are they walkable blocks or do we need to hail a cab?

I really appreciate all your help. It will be so nice to drop luggage off and visit your great city.:):D

Mary and Dave[/quote]

[SIZE=4]Just keeping it simple, SkyTrain is the line(s) that run east/west and the Canada Line is a new line which runs north/south and connects the airport (YVR) and southern parts of the city with downtown. You are correct, the Sutton Place is about 5/5.5 blocks from the Vancouver Centre station. The walk is very level so if you enjoy walking and can handle your luggage you won't have a problem. There are elevators and escalators in each station and you will find wheelchair let-downs at each intersection so rolling suitcases are not an issue. If the weather was inclement you could stay on the Canada Line to Waterfront Station where you would find it much easier to get a cab (about $10 fare) to the hotel or you could transfer to a #44 bus using your all-day pass...just tell the operator where you are going and they will be sure tell you where to get off.[/SIZE] Edited by Putterdude

[quote name='Putterdude'][SIZE=2]Just keeping it simple, SkyTrain is the line(s) that run east/west and the Canada Line is a new line which runs north/south and connects the airport (YVR) and southern parts of the city with downtown. You are correct, the Sutton Place is about 5/5.5 blocks from the Vancouver Centre station. The walk is very level so if you enjoy walking and can handle your luggage you won't have a problem. There are elevators and escalators in each station and you will find wheelchair let-downs at each intersection so rolling suitcases are not an issue. If the weather was inclement you could stay on the Canada Line to Waterfront Station where you would find it much easier to get a cab (about $10 fare) to the hotel or you could transfer to a #44 bus using your all-day pass...just tell the operator where you are going and they will be sure tell you where to get off.[/SIZE][/quote]

Skytrain actually is the name applied by Translink (the local transit operator) to all three (Expo, Millenium & Canada Line) of the elevated/subway rail lines. It was originally called Skytrain, because the bulk of the original line (Expo) is above ground, like the Chicago L.

The Skytrain Canada Line (Airport to downtown) runs elevated from the airport, crosses the fraser river on a bridge, and then becomes a subway line just north of Marine Drive station all the way into downtown, whereas Expo and Millenium have only three underground stations (Waterfront/Burrard/Granville), two at grade (Stadium, Edmonds), and the rest being elevated above street level. The other difference between the Skytrain Canada Line and the Skytrain Expo&Millenium lines is that the Canada Line is more conventional technology, whereas the Expo/Millenium lines are a giant linear motor.

To answer the OP's original question; Skytrain (all three lines), Seabus (the ferry which crosses from Waterfront to Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver), and the local bus system are all included on the same transit ticket.

This map shows the major lines in the downtown area: [url]http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.266908,-123.060436&spn=0.080427,0.222988&z=13[/url]

Hi,

We need a hotel for 2 nights pre cruise, 6 rooms. I want to stay closer to Canada Place but the rest of the people want to pay under $200 a night. We would like to see Stanley Park and Capilano Bridge, I know I spelled this wrong sorry. Would Sandman Signature Hotel be good for sightseeing since we will not have a car? Thanks.

[SIZE=4]Are you looking at the Sandman on West Georgia or the the Sandman Signature in Richmond near the airport. The West Georgia location will put you fairly close to Canada Place....about 10 blocks and the other attractions you want to see. The Signature is going to put you a full half hour, each way, further from what you want to see and do. It can be done by using the Canada Line and buying an all-day transit pass for $9 but you may find it inconvenient and time consuming.[/SIZE] Edited by Putterdude

Don`t forget there is a Sandman on Davie St which would be the closest to Stanley Park and I believe are all suites now.

Here`s a link to the Davie street property - lot`s of restaurants in the area etc.

[url]http://www.sandmanhotels.com/en/hotel/bc/vancouver_extended[/url]

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis Edited by Urban trekker

[quote name='Poohx2']Hi,

We need a hotel for 2 nights pre cruise, 6 rooms. I want to stay closer to Canada Place but the rest of the people want to pay under $200 a night. We would like to see Stanley Park and Capilano Bridge, I know I spelled this wrong sorry. Would Sandman Signature Hotel be good for sightseeing since we will not have a car? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

since you are so far out in advance of your cruise- you can always make reservations for a hotel in a mutually desireable/acceptable location and then try hotwire or priceline closer to cruise date if you desire. We booked the PanPacific ~2-3months in advance for $139/night on hotwire

[quote name='tamsocal']since you are so far out in advance of your cruise- you can always make reservations for a hotel in a mutually desireable/acceptable location and then try hotwire or priceline closer to cruise date if you desire. We booked the PanPacific ~2-3months in advance for $139/night on hotwire[/quote]

That is excellent advice.:) Edited by Putterdude

Hi,
Thanks so much for all the advice about the Sandman Signature Hotel. It is in Richmond. I will check out the Sandman Suites. I also will follow your advice on booking a mutually acceptable hotel for all and then trying Hotwire. The Pan Pacific is where I want to stay so hopefully it will work out. Thanks again for the help. Edited by Poohx2

[quote name='pamkev']This is a probably a stupid question asking anyways can I use my cell phone in BC without having to turn something extra on or get a international calling plan like when I went to Europe. I have Verizon.

Pam[/quote]

[SIZE=4] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]I am quite certain that your Verizon phone will work but you will be charged roaming fees which can add up. I would speak with Verizon and see what the charges might be and if they offer a short term plan that makes sense for you.[/SIZE]

[quote name='pamkev']This is a probably a stupid question asking anyways can I use my cell phone in BC without having to turn something extra on or get a international calling plan like when I went to Europe. I have Verizon.

Pam[/quote]

No, you need an international calling plan. Verizon as a company do not operate in Canada, and offer cel coverage only through partners, hence the requirement for out of country cell plan

On day of arrival, DH and I plan to drop luggage off at the Sutton Place and head to Stanley Park. We are going to take a carriage ride around the park and get in a little walking before dinner. If you had to choose between the Fish House and going back to the hotel area to Joe Fortes, which would you choose? It doesn't appear, from the menus on line, that the prices are much different.

Thanks

Mary

[SIZE=4]Mary, it really is a pick'em but I would probably go with Joe Fortes only because it is closer to you hotel and a pleasant walk after dinner...with the Fish House, you are in Stanley Park and after dark you would want to cab it back to your hotel. However, which ever you choose I am sure that you would enjoy either of them.[/SIZE]

I am planning my first cruise. No mobility issues & can handle my luggage.
We are looking at the RCI Radiance of the Seas cruise/tour May 2011 to Alaska.
Flying in from Cincinnati (CVG). The flight I am looking at will arrive at YVR about 12:45pm. Thinking of taking the Skytrain.

Will this give me enough time to get to Canada Place early enough to board?
What will it cost for each passenger?

Anything I should know?

[quote name='Santa2ya']I am planning my first cruise. No mobility issues & can handle my luggage.
We are looking at the RCI Radiance of the Seas cruise/tour May 2011 to Alaska.
Flying in from Cincinnati (CVG). The flight I am looking at will arrive at YVR about 12:45pm. Thinking of taking the Skytrain.

Will this give me enough time to get to Canada Place early enough to board?
What will it cost for each passenger?

Anything I should know?[/quote]

[SIZE=4]You are pushing the envelope. You need to allow at least 30 minutes to clear Canadian Customs and pick up your luggage. You then need to proceed to the YVR Canada Line Station and get a train heading into Vancouver allow a full 10 mins, then you have a 26 min ride into Waterfront Station. To move from Waterfront Station to Canada Place allow another 10 mins. Then you have the check in procedure at Canada Place and the clearing of US customs...one hiccup and you are waiving good by to your ship as she sails a way. The fare is $8.75 by the way. But do yourself a favour and either fly in earlier or better still the day before, it is just not worth the risk.:)[/SIZE] Edited by Putterdude

Doing a B2B next July with Vancouver as the turn around port. We arrive at 7A and sail at 4:30P. I would like to visit Capilano Suspension Bridge and Stanley Park both. It looks to me like Capilano Park opens before the shuttles run in Stanley Park. Can you tell me how early the free shuttle to Capilano starts running? Am I being too ambitious in thinking I can do both in the 8 hours available?
Thanks
Barbara

[quote name='ganny3']Doing a B2B next July with Vancouver as the turn around port. We arrive at 7A and sail at 4:30P. I would like to visit Capilano Suspension Bridge and Stanley Park both. It looks to me like Capilano Park opens before the shuttles run in Stanley Park. Can you tell me how early the free shuttle to Capilano starts running? Am I being too ambitious in thinking I can do both in the 8 hours available?
Thanks
Barbara[/quote]

[SIZE=4]Here is a link to the shuttle schedule and how to get there by transit if you prefer. You are pushing it a bit because by the time you get off the ship in the morning and you will want to be back a full 90 mins before sailing you are down to about 6 hrs. But a dash to the bridge and back allow a full 3 hrs then see how your time is. At a 1000 acres most Vancouverites have never seen all of the park but you may have time for a quick glance at it...by the way will you will need to check back on the shuttles in Stanley Park because lately this has been a year by year things and we never know if it is going to run or not. [/SIZE][URL="http://www.capbridge.com/plan.php"][SIZE=4]link[/SIZE][/URL]

Here`s a link to the Capilano Suspension bridge free shuttle schedule for this year - what it will be next year we won`t know for some time. Looks like the first one is 9AM right from Canada Place.

[url]http://capbridge.com/plan.php[/url]

Whether you can do both is really up to you - on your B2B are you required to reboard 2hrs before as is usual or only 30 minutes as is the case for port stops.

You will travel through the Park on your way to the Bridge and it is only a mile from Canada Place - I have lived in Vancouver all of my 62+ years and I am continuing to find things that I didn`t know existed in the Park - most of the sites and attractions are near the entrance.

Others will be here to give there .02Cents as well.

Enjoy your visit

Cheers

Dennis

[quote name='Putterdude'][SIZE=4]You are pushing the envelope. But do yourself a favour and either fly in earlier or better still the day before, it is just not worth the risk.:)[/SIZE][/quote]

Thanks Putterdude, I have determined that the day before will have to do as there are no earlier flights but plenty of later flights. I would really be disappointed if we missed our first cruise.

I have never used Hotwire before. Can you choose specific hotels or is it like priceline? You don't find out where the hotel is until after you pay. I don't really like that. I would really love to stay at the Pan Pacific if I could get it for $150 or less. But it is far too early to keep an eye out.

Correct me if I am wrong, Arrive at YVR, grab luggage & board Skytrain (where do I get tickets & board?), exit Skytrain at the Waterfront station (last station). Then depending on where I am staying I either walk or taxi to my hotel.

[quote name='cruzinagain13']Hi, my wife and I are staying at the Hyatt Regency in a couple of weeks (good location, I hear) along with our two sons, 9 & 6. Is Chinatown within walking distance or would we be better off with a cab? Also, are there any good chinese restaurant recommendations?[/quote]

[SIZE=4]The Hyatt Regency in my mind is about as close to centre ice in Vancouver as you can get and it a great hotel. Yes you can walk to Chinatown but the area between the downtown area and Chinatown itself does get a bit scussy so you may want to consider a cab...about $10 each way. Restaurants...a ton and everyone has a favourite mine, Flota Seafood Restaurant [/SIZE][URL="http://www.floata.com/index_main.htm"][SIZE=4]link[/SIZE][/URL][SIZE=4] and Hons Wun Tun House [/SIZE][URL="http://www.hons.ca/"][SIZE=4]link[/SIZE][/URL]

[quote name='Santa2ya']Thanks Putterdude, I have determined that the day before will have to do as there are no earlier flights but plenty of later flights. I would really be disappointed if we missed our first cruise.

I have never used Hotwire before. Can you choose specific hotels or is it like priceline? You don't find out where the hotel is until after you pay. I don't really like that. I would really love to stay at the Pan Pacific if I could get it for $150 or less. But it is far too early to keep an eye out.

Correct me if I am wrong, Arrive at YVR, grab luggage & board Skytrain (where do I get tickets & board?), exit Skytrain at the Waterfront station (last station). Then depending on where I am staying I either walk or taxi to my hotel.[/quote]

[SIZE=4]I should leave Hotwire to the experts but the ones you see listed as specials are always a guess to which they are. You are right, keep checking back but the Pan Pacific for <$150 may be a bit of a tall order. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]You are correct, you clear Canadian customs, get luggage proceed out of the customs area and follow the signs to the Canada Line's YVR station. You will cross the street and go up in an elevator or escalator to the top level of the parking structure and you will have arrived. Depending which downtown hotel you are staying at you will likely get off at either the Vancouver Centre or Waterfront Station...we will help you once you know which hotel you are staying in. I should add that there is a 3rd station called Yaletown-Roundhouse but there are few hotel convenient to it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4] [/SIZE]