Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

We ended up booking at the Blue Horizon. I just phoned the hotel directly with hopes of finding the 3 rooms & luckily, they were able to take us ( with a CAA discount :D).

Appreciate everyone`s help!

Hi. I'll b in Vancouver on 8jun before my cruise on 10th. Need recommendations for Japanese food (small japanese eateries opened by japanese) around the Robson street area. Staying at Weston grand. Thanks

Long time lurker on this thread...thanks to everyone for the invaluable information!!

We're staying in Vancouver for a night at the end of June before our cruise on the Amsterdam, and this is what I've got in mind for our one day in town.

We'll be checking into the Metropolitan on Howe around 2pm. The plan is to walk down to the water and down the sea wall towards Stanley Park. We'd like to walk around the park for a few hours, before stopping for dinner at Cordero's on the way back to the hotel.

Not knowing the scope of downtown Vancouver, does this sound doable on foot? After being cooped up in an airplane all morning, we'll be up for a nice walk, but was just concerned if this is walkable or not...

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!

Hi. I'll b in Vancouver on 8jun before my cruise on 10th. Need recommendations for Japanese food (small japanese eateries opened by japanese) around the Robson street area. Staying at Weston grand. Thanks

Ramen Jinya is the only place I know off-hand is Japanese-owned near the Westin (it's part of Takahasi Tomonori's restaurant group, La Brea). They have excellent broths, especially the premium pork, and the staff all speak at least a little Japanese - I believe they try to hire Japanese youngsters studying in Vancouver. Very good, but it is just a ramen bar.

If you're looking for higher end Japanese cuisine, Tojo's offers ludicrously good sushi at a premium price. Hidekazu Tojo still runs the place, has done for 25 years. It's a bit out of the way compared to the Westin though - the number 17 bus will take you there without any changes, about a block to walk on each end, or a cab would probably run you about $12-15 depending on traffic.

In-between those extremes, I'd need to do some digging to see which restaurants are Japanese-owned. If you can be more specific about your budget I'll look into it for you...

We'll be checking into the Metropolitan on Howe around 2pm. The plan is to walk down to the water and down the sea wall towards Stanley Park. We'd like to walk around the park for a few hours, before stopping for dinner at Cordero's on the way back to the hotel.

Not knowing the scope of downtown Vancouver, does this sound doable on foot? ...

Depends how much you like walking! Going via the seawall, instead of the shortest route into the park, is going to be a little over 2 miles from your hotel to just inside the park entrance (where you can find the carriages, tourist info etc.). Going straight there instead (along W Georgia St) would be a touch under 1.5 miles. The park has more trails than you can shake a stick at, so you can easily rack up as many miles as you'd like inside.

So short answer, if you can handle walking at least five miles at a leisurely pace, it's very doable - if you can't then consider taking transit to and/or from the park (number 19 bus best bet), or riding the park shuttle ($10) or carriages ($30ish) inside the park, or hiring bikes from one of the many places along Georgia between your hotel and the park.

Long time lurker on this thread...thanks to everyone for the invaluable information!!

We're staying in Vancouver for a night at the end of June before our cruise on the Amsterdam, and this is what I've got in mind for our one day in town.

Not knowing the scope of downtown Vancouver, does this sound doable on foot? After being cooped up in an airplane all morning, we'll be up for a nice walk, but was just concerned if this is walkable or not...

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!

Without knowing your fitness level I will venture, yes, it is doable however if you feel you can't handle the walk back after dinner then you can take a cab back to the hotel for about $10 or grab a bus on Georgia St.

Ramen Jinya is the only place I know off-hand is Japanese-owned near the Westin (it's part of Takahasi Tomonori's restaurant group, La Brea). They have excellent broths, especially the premium pork, and the staff all speak at least a little Japanese - I believe they try to hire Japanese youngsters studying in Vancouver. Very good, but it is just a ramen bar.

If you're looking for higher end Japanese cuisine, Tojo's offers ludicrously good sushi at a premium price. Hidekazu Tojo still runs the place, has done for 25 years. It's a bit out of the way compared to the Westin though - the number 17 bus will take you there without any changes, about a block to walk on each end, or a cab would probably run you about $12-15 depending on traffic.

In-between those extremes, I'd need to do some digging to see which restaurants are Japanese-owned. If you can be more specific about your budget I'll look into it for you...

Miku (W. Hastings) and of course Japadog (the ultimate gimmicky but yummy street food) also jump to mind. Miku is moving into the building next to Canada Place (where Aqua Riva once was), but I can't see how they'd be open there before about Jul 1 based on the current construction

Many thanks again! Blue Horizon may not be able to fix us with 3 rooms that day.... is the CARMANA PLAZA an OK choice too ?

We stayed at the Carmana Plaza during our first visit to Vancouver, would be happy to stay again, but I understand that there is a major building site next door.

Without knowing your fitness level I will venture, yes, it is doable however if you feel you can't handle the walk back after dinner then you can take a cab back to the hotel for about $10 or grab a bus on Georgia St.

Heh...well, we're not exactly marathon runners :D , but we do enjoy some hiking and long-ish walks!

Thanks for the info...we're really looking forward to seeing Stanley Park. One question...from the entrance to the park at the seawall, how far of a walk is it to be underneath the Lions Gate bridge?

Edited by sstepson

To completely walk the seawall you are talking about 6 miles in total - the bridge and some of the locals will likely post the exact distance - would be about the half way point but there are short cuts - ie - at the totem poles that would reduce the distance - if you get to the Bridge you might as well do the entire circuit.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Edited to add - this might help:

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/Stanley-Park-Printable-Map2.pdf

Edited by Urban trekker

Another seawall trail / Stanley Park suggestion is renting bikes and riding around the trail. There are 3-4 shops that rent bikes near the park entrance. (Denman between Robson and Georgia) . Usually the rental includes a helmet and lock. IIRC, bike helmets are required by law in BC for all riders.

Edited by kenish

Hi all. Thanks so far for your help. Just want to check in with my plans before I buy my bus tickets.

We arrive by SW into Seattle/Tacoma (SeaTac) at 11:25. How far from where we land do we get the Quick Bus?

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver. It appears that the Quick Shuttle goes directly to our hotel on 655 Burrard St.

The bus leaves SeaTac at 13:30 and is $107 for 2 seniors.

Are we leaving enough time from our plane landing to the bus? Does the bus really drop us right at our hotel (that's great if so).

If our plane is late for any reason, will the bus let us take the next available bus?

One last thing, is the I-5 bridge collapse going to impact us?

Thanks again.

The bridge collapse will impact your travel time by perhaps an hour - however, they expect to have a temporary structure in place by about the middle of June so other than a slower speed limit over the bridge it shouldn't add much time wise.

Can't answer for sure about whether they go to the Hyatt - they use the Holiday Inn as their hub - you may go there and then be shuttled to the Hyatt.

Other locals might be able to give you a more complete answer.

Enjoy your visit

Cheers

Dennis

The bridge collapse will impact your travel time by perhaps an hour - however, they expect to have a temporary structure in place by about the middle of June so other than a slower speed limit over the bridge it shouldn't add much time wise.

Can't answer for sure about whether they go to the Hyatt - they use the Holiday Inn as their hub - you may go there and then be shuttled to the Hyatt.

Other locals might be able to give you a more complete answer.

Enjoy your visit

Cheers

Dennis

I'm glad I found this thread! We will be driving to the port for a cruise in mid July. I didn't even realize that terrible bridge collapse was enroute. We have never crossed the border to Canada from the US here. How long are the usual wait times? I just recall seeing wait times in Niagra Falls/US/Canada. Terrible and long. Is there any other place east of I 5 to cross? Also, are there any hotels that you can keep your car at as to avoid the high cost of parking at the pier? THANK you for any information that you can give!!

Border wait times are highly variable. On a Friday evening before a long weekend they can go to 2-3 hours. After crossing the border a few hundred times I've only run into that a handful of times. Typically it's 15-30 minutes. Try to avoid obvious peak commuter and weekend travel times if you can. I find it is usually worst heading south on Sunday afternoon. The Canadian side seems to staff better and ask fewer questions.

I usually cross at what is called the truck crossing on SR543 (but it's open to everyone) out of habit but it tends to have about the same wait times as the main I5 crossing, Peace Arch. You can go east and cross at Sumas which typically gives shorter wait times but 30-45 minutes more driving. I've never considered it worth the bother but some folks always cross at Sumas in the summer time. To cross at Sumas you leave I5 at Bellingham.

take a look at this: http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/border/default.aspx

Border wait times are highly variable. On a Friday evening before a long weekend they can go to 2-3 hours. After crossing the border a few hundred times I've only run into that a handful of times. Typically it's 15-30 minutes. Try to avoid obvious peak commuter and weekend travel times if you can. I find it is usually worst heading south on Sunday afternoon. The Canadian side seems to staff better and ask fewer questions.

I usually cross at what is called the truck crossing on SR543 (but it's open to everyone) out of habit but it tends to have about the same wait times as the main I5 crossing, Peace Arch. You can go east and cross at Sumas which typically gives shorter wait times but 30-45 minutes more driving. I've never considered it worth the bother but some folks always cross at Sumas in the summer time. To cross at Sumas you leave I5 at Bellingham.

take a look at this: http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/border/default.aspx

Thank you. We are coming from the east so I may just look into Sumas anyway. I have to check a map but can you get to Sumas without going as far west at I 5? I know a stupid question, I should just look! We are coming from NJ so it doesn't matter how far east we cross!

Edited by sept10dsm

Do you mean coming from the east as in driving from New Jersey? If so the border is the least of your worries :) No, there are no direct routes to Sumas approaching from the east unless you really enjoy leisurely scenic drives on secondary roads. All practical routes for long distance cross the Cascades on I90 and go up I5 from Seattle to the border. Here in the west the shortest driving distance between two points is rarely a straight line. There are pesky mountain ranges in the way all over the place.

For a trip like this don't waste any worry on border waits and enjoy the drive for it's own sake.

Thank you. We are coming from the east so I may just look into Sumas anyway. I have to check a map but can you get to Sumas without going as far west at I 5? I know a stupid question, I should just look! We are coming from NJ so it doesn't matter how far east we cross!

If you have the time. If you have never been there. Get out your map.

Cross the border anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains and take a look at anywhere in the Canadian Rockies before taking Canada 1 on to Vancouver. The scenery is spectacular anywhere from Calgary and on west.