new budget hotel open in Southampton

bts378

a new budget hotel has opened in Southampton - the Etap Hotel- you can make reservations and find out more details on this website: http://www.etaphotel.com or http://www.accorhotels.com will bring up all 3 of there hotels- just search Southampton. The new Etap hotel is located next to the Ibis and Novotel but it is brand new -which has to be a bonus - rooms only cost 32 pounds single/twin/triple year round. You will find it hard to find anything cheaper in this town. You can walk to this hotel from both the railway station and national express bus station. From the railway station you can see the ibis and novotel in front of you - the etap is on the other side of the novotel so may be hidden from view. From national express bus station turn right - take 5 or 10 minutes and we were pulling two large cases. All 3 are convenient for fast food or even Asda (Walmarts equivalent) - any questions please post - have become a Southampton expert!

I stayed at the Ibis in Sept 2007 and noticed this new hotel under construction right next door. The big banners advertising the cheap prices sure caught my eye. The Ibis was pretty basic but for the even lower price I'd give the Etap a shot for a short precruise stay. I do like this location close to the National Express and railroad stations and there are restaurants and the big mall nearby.

I stayed at the Ibis in Sept 2007 and noticed this new hotel under construction right next door. The big banners advertising the cheap prices sure caught my eye. The Ibis was pretty basic but for the even lower price I'd give the Etap a shot for a short precruise stay. I do like this location close to the National Express and railroad stations and there are restaurants and the big mall nearby.

Thanks Doug.

I would assume they are after the cruise market. One bad mistake and CC will take over.

Thank you for the hotel information. I am interested in 2 rooms at Southampton. Have you stayed there yet? Seems too good to be true.

I would appreciate all comments and opinions.

Thank you

no have not yet stayed there yet but will when we are next in Southampton -probably may 08 - its owned by the french so should be ok - ibis and novotel were better when they were new!

• 2 weeks later...

First of all I'm cheap on hotel rooms, it's just a place to sleep for me, not vacation time, I would rather spend my money on other fun stuff. My question is: would it be possible to sneak another child into a triple room? I guess my question is in the UK you need to check in to a room with a passport or is it similar to the US?

I would be interested in seeing a review from someone who stayed here. I understand the other Etap hotels in Europe do not have a front desk. I am not sure how they do this. One of the things I usually need for these short stays is a place to leave my bags either before I check in or after I check out. So I would like to know what their policy is for keeping luggage.

I would be interested in seeing a review from someone who stayed here. I understand the other Etap hotels in Europe do not have a front desk. I am not sure how they do this. One of the things I usually need for these short stays is a place to leave my bags either before I check in or after I check out. So I would like to know what their policy is for keeping luggage.

They have 'reception' in the UK locations, which is about the same as 'front desk'.

The rooms are small, bare and tidy. There is a toilet and a shower, en suite. That is 'private'.

These hotels offer no 'left luggage' or similar services.

a new budget hotel has opened in Southampton - the Etap Hotel- you can make reservations and find out more details on this website: http://www.etaphotel.com or http://www.accorhotels.com will bring up all 3 of there hotels- just search Southampton. The new Etap hotel is located next to the Ibis and Novotel but it is brand new -which has to be a bonus - rooms only cost 32 pounds single/twin/triple year round. You will find it hard to find anything cheaper in this town. You can walk to this hotel from both the railway station and national express bus station. From the railway station you can see the ibis and novotel in front of you - the etap is on the other side of the novotel so may be hidden from view. From national express bus station turn right - take 5 or 10 minutes and we were pulling two large cases. All 3 are convenient for fast food or even Asda (Walmarts equivalent) - any questions please post - have become a Southampton expert!

Wow - you are right! It is cheap. Breakfast only 2.95 per person per morning and that is no more than about $6.00 each. Great rate, the 32 GBP per night. Made it for 2 nights. Great location too. Half the price of others or even less.

Thanks again. You should charge them a commission.

Johanna

Wow - you are right! It is cheap. Breakfast only 2.95 per person per morning and that is no more than about $6.00 each. Great rate, the 32 GBP per night. Made it for 2 nights. Great location too. Half the price of others or even less.

Johanna

Would come back and tell us about your stay. I am interested in it for next year.

First, you cannot walk to the hotel from either the bus station or train station. You'd kill yourself in the process.

Second, depending which terminal your ship is at, you won't see it at all.

Only ships docking at the Mayflower terminal can you see from this location... and the just barely. You also cannot walk there with luggage. It was difficult enough without as you need to cross a very busy ring-road.

BTW, in this complex of Accor hotel properties, there is a Mickey D's for those so inclined.

You will need to ask reception to call a taxi for you to take you to your ship.

I normally prebook mine the night before.

First, you cannot walk to the hotel from either the bus station or train station. You'd kill yourself in the process.

Only ships docking at the Mayflower terminal can you see from this location... and the just barely. You also cannot walk there with luggage. It was difficult enough without as you need to cross a very busy ring-road.

BTW, in this complex of Accor hotel properties, there is a Mickey D's for those so inclined.

Thank you for your comments. We would have taken a taxi to the cruise terminal anyway and will get the hotel to call a taxi for that. As for the train, we would also grab a cab.

Yes, crossing a ring road would be difficult if there are no traffic lights. As it is so close to Ibis hotel, I would think there would be hotels and such within walking distance. Without luggage of course. We are there 2 nights prior.

We are still looking for a suitable hotel at Gatwick for the night before. Princess has a tour the last day (disembarkation) which ends up at Gatwick if you have a plane after 3 p.m. It goes to Stonehenge which we want to see even with a fence around it. As we leave the day after at 11:25 a.m. that qualifies as after 3 p.m. Therefore, we prefer a hotel either at Gatwick or very close to it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Johanna

If staying at the Etap or Novotel, how easy is it to get to the cruise ship dock?

We stayed at the Novotel last November for the Navigator TA, and getting to the cruise ship dock was EASY!! It's close enough to walk, but with luggage,etc. I wouldn't (and didn't!). We ordered a taxi, and were there within 5 minutes of pickup. The IBIS is right next door, and the ETAP is right there , too. Any of them would be EASY! We paid about 3 GBP for the taxi (plus tip)

It was about a five minute walk from the bus stop (National Express) to the hotel- and that was dragging our luggage through Sunday traffic in the West Quay parking lot! Not exactly what I had planned, but we couldn't find a taxi and the hotel was in sight!

EASY!!!!!

Glad to hear about this new hotel. I'll be on the look out for reviews this summer as we will be returning to Southampton again for another cruise. Last time we stayed at the Holiday Inn Southampton and thought it was just ok.

Either I'm dead, or capable of feats that mere mortals cannot do. I found it very simple to cross the street at the light, even dragging a 25kg suitcase. There are two places to do so, first is on the station side of the intersection of A3024 and A3057: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Southampton+Central,+Southampton,+Southampton,+SO15+1,+UK&sll=35.13909,-111.67516&sspn=0.019653,0.047035&ie=UTF8&ll=50.906551,-1.414903&spn=0.000474,0.00147&t=h&z=20

The second is at the eastern end of the station across the A3024 http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Southampton+Central,+Southampton,+Southampton,+SO15+1,+UK&sll=35.13909,-111.67516&sspn=0.019653,0.047035&ie=UTF8&ll=50.907099,-1.411773&spn=0.000474,0.00147&t=h&z=20

Use Taxis between coach/rail stations and hotels and cruise termini.

Pavement (sidewalk) surfaces can be rough (especially within the port area) and it is a bloody long walk with cases from any of the hotels to a cruise terminal especially with suitcases! (The closest is probably the Ibis/Novotel to the City Terminal (RCI).

Also, and this may surprise you: it rains a lot in England and Southampton, being near the sea, can be very breezy.

~~~

These budget hotels are great for a one nighter and etap will certainly concentrate minds.

it is no distance at all to walk - in fact i can walk further around our local walmart! does depend on how much luggage you are toting but when you can see the etap from the bus station and train station then what more can i say!

!

Johanna

and if you need a clean cheap hotel in london check out http://www.easyhotel.com-Kensington/Victoria or Earls court - very basic but ensuite and clean -rates from £25 depending on when you book--- some rooms with no windows depends on what you want to pay but they are better than back street b&b's which I have found I am allergic to.......

I agree that its a very short walk (I'd estiamte at about a 1/4 mile) from either the National Express terminal or the train station to these hotels, but would certainly take a taxi down to the ship. This portion is also walkable but I wouldn't do it with luggage.

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at the new Etap Hotel in Southampton yet and what you thought. We are considering this for our precruise stay in Jul. I understand it is very basic, but that's okay with us since we won't be spending much time in the room other to sleep and shower. TIA

• 1 month later...

Archived