Other Than Berlin - What Did You Do?

Len3

I assume, your ship will dock in Warnemünde. Here what you can do:

- Warnemünde is a sea resort with a huge beach, a nice harbour, bars and boutiques. On a sunny day, you can simply have a relaxing time.

- Nearby Rostock has a historical center, a city hall and church which are worth a visit.

- You may rent a car for the day and explore the area. A 20min-drive to the east will lead you to Fischland, a peninsula with gorgeous coastline, dunes and the picturesque fishers village Ahrenshoop which has developed into an artists' colony.

- Other options include Güstrow (castle), Wismar (old town), Bad Doberan (cathedral) and Heiligendamm (location of the G8 summit, beach & resort).

This is what we did when we docked at Warnemunde in May, 2007, thanks to our special cc friend who helped us out with photos and instructions.

Since we needed euros, we walked into town to where the huge dark red church is. On the left side of the church, across on the corner is the post office. On the left side, facing the p.o., is a bank and across the street on the right side of the post office is another bank.

We also needed to pick up our order of Niederegger Lubeck marzipan in town, because we were not going to Lubeck.

We boarded the train and got off at the first stop. Turn right when exiting the train and walked to the bridge to cross the rail road tracks. Stay on the right side of the street until you see the sheltered bus stop to Bad Doberan. We wanted to go by bus so that we can see more of the beauty of Germany.

At Bad Doberan, we caught the Mollie train to Heiligendamm and Kuhlunsborn (? spelling).

We then went by train to Rostock and took a self tour before returning to Warnemunde by train.

Be sure to purchase the 1 tagsticket zone 4. You can use it to also to go on the ferry but can't be used on the Mollie train.

This trip is the best we did on our own for the Baltic cruise. It was very relaxing, met many wonderful Germans. They knew that we were not Germans and wanted to help us even if we knew our way around.

At Rostock, there is a very clean restroom at the Kaufhof dept. store. I believe is was on the 2nd floor, for the Germans, it would be considered the 1st floor. There is an elderly lady there to make sure that the toilet is clean and also a plate to put your money.

Whatever you do, enjoy your trip.

Hi! For those of you who have spent time at the beach in Warnemunde, could you give me a general idea of the conditions there? I know it will depend in part on tide and winds, but is the water rough? Does it get deep fast, or is it shallow for a while?

Just debating whether or not to bring along a life vest for our youngest (5 yo), considering at the max, our only beach days will be Warnemunde and Helsinki (Suomellina Island). She can swim, but I feel a lot better if she's in a vest if she's going to get knocked around by waves, especially when we're not in the Caribbean and I can't easily see through the water!

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Following up on one of Zeitgeist's suggestions, rent a car (the St Petersburg Strasse office in Rostock will deliver the car to the little agency office right at the dock for real easypickup and return).

Drive west to Lubeck, sticking to two lane roads as much as possible.

Stop off in Heiligendamm and Wismar.

Get to Lubeck for late lunch and enjoy the lively main square and/or the riverfront.

Go to Niederegger's if you like marzipan or just want to see what kind of amazing statues they make out of marzipan.

Then come back on the autobahn. If you have time, detour off to Schwerin to see the huge golden castle.

Very leisurely day ambling through the German countryside and a nice change of pace from the daily barrage of big cities, cathedrals and palaces.

Questions for Palagirl and Zeitgeist:

The trip you describe sounds like what we would like to do in July. Looking at Google Earth, it seems that the train ride to the bus station is only about half a mile. If we walk along Rostockerstrasse it wouldn't take long. But is that a bad neighborhood?

How often do the buses run to Bad Doberan?

Where did you catch the train back to Rostock? From Rostock back to the ship we thought about taking the ferry.

How does that sound?

I found an interesting web site for the Molli train with some You Tube clips:

http://www.truveo.com/Molli-steam-train-Heligendamm-Germany/id/4254149838

GACRUISER456: It makes only round trips that I know of.

Lair Bear: Where we walked to go to the bus was very safe. We had no fear where ever we walked.

The bus number to Bad Doberan is 119. This is a sample of the hours from Monday to Friday: it runs every hour such as 8:40, 9:40, 10:40 etc. and arrive at Bad Doberan bahnhof at 9:26, 10:23 and 11:13. There are weekend hours too. (I don't know why, but now I cannot get this website on my computer: http://www.mollie.bahn.de)

I was very surprised as we entered the bus to see beautiful upholstery and how well kept they are besides being so clean.

The bus stops a few yards from the Mollie train ticket office which is in the same building where the rest room is.

To return to Rostock on the train, after you exit the Mollie train at Bad Doberan, walk behind the ticket office building and you will see people waiting for the train. We went on the express train.

FYI: the ferry that I previously mentioned that you can use with the Tagsticket is the one close to where the ship docks. It only goes across and you can take photos of your cruise ship and also there is a walking path on the left as you exit the ferry.

The video of the Mollie train brought back wonderful memories.

So, if I understand it correctly, the train ticket (tagsticket) you refer to is good for one day per person and can be used on the train from Bad Doberan to Rostock and then later in the day from Rostock to Warnemunde. Our ship leaves late in the evening and there should not be a problem, but do you happen to know if the train from Rostock runs late in the afternoon/evening?

The boat trip I was thinking about is an excursion/harbor tour that also departs from the ferry dock right next to the ship and goes to the harbor in Rostock and back again. It may have more limited hours and it could be too late for us to use to return to Warnemunde. If so, we will do the train. Perhaps someone else may know its schedule.

Of course, if we elected to stay near the shore at Kuhlungsborn a bit longer and take a later Mollie train back to Bad Doberan we could then take the bus again and spend some time around Warnemunde (skip Rostock and no need for a tagsticket). That would mean retracing our steps but that would not be all that bad. I know when hiking or riding you always see something different going the opposite direction.

I would appreciate hearing about any other thoughts you remember (like lunch places, walks in Kuhlungsborn or Heiligendamm, etc.)

Lair Bear: About train schedule: http://www.bahn.de. On the upper right side there is a place where you can enter English. On the left side, you can enter the departure city and arrival city etc. and it will show you the schedule, including how many minutes for the ride.

At Heiligendamm, we walked a lot through the forest. There is a trail that is called "Kirch" and you will see old churches. We also walked along the beach and to the pier. We couldn't go near the main hotel since it was preparing for the Summit.

Perhaps, my special cc friend will see all your questions and tell you how to see the photos and instructions that he did.

The more you describe this journey the more I like it and I want to thank you for all the input. The train schedule needs some scrutiny, but let me ask a couple more questions about the Mollie train.

A kirche walk through the forest at Heiligendamm sounds great. I can see at least three of the churches on Google Earth (one is right along the train tracks). We like to go to the large hotel Kepinski for lunch maybe and do the pier.

So, can you get off the Mollie train at Heiligendamm and then reboard it later to continue to the end at Kulungsborn? Or visa versa?

How often does the train run and what would be the latest train going back to Bad Oberan? Too bad the link to the Mollie train does not work. I wonder, in fact, if it is still in operation this summer. But we will wait to find out later. Perhaps our cc friend indeed can help here.

Paiagirl, it looks like you did a lot that day. Did you have enough time and not feel rushed to get back?

We also needed to pick up our order of Niederegger Lubeck marzipan in town, because we were not going to Lubeck.

Where did you get the marzipan???? I love it and it never occurred to me to get any while I'm there until I read your post. Thanks.

Questions for Palagirl and Zeitgeist:

The trip you describe sounds like what we would like to do in July. Looking at Google Earth, it seems that the train ride to the bus station is only about half a mile. If we walk along Rostockerstrasse it wouldn't take long. But is that a bad neighborhood?

How often do the buses run to Bad Doberan?

Where did you catch the train back to Rostock? From Rostock back to the ship we thought about taking the ferry.

How does that sound?

I found an interesting web site for the Molli train with some You Tube clips:

http://www.truveo.com/Molli-steam-train-Heligendamm-Germany/id/4254149838

I got instructions from a fellow cruiser in California who is caring about you might miss the way.

She asked me to repeat the posting of following link.

http://home.arcor.de/yao/BadDoberan.pdf

Hope she is satisfying with me...

Best regards,

HeinBloed

Hello Heinz Bloed:

Would you be so kind to give me the link or what ever needs to be done for the following:

You posted photos of the tram site outside Port of Amsterdam and I can't find them on CC or in my favorites. Sorry to bother you but I would like to show them to CC board for RCL Jewel of the Seas March 30 TA and refresh my memory.

Thanks

Marge :cool:

Hello Heinz Bloed:

Would you be so kind to give me the link or what ever needs to be done for the following:

You posted photos of the tram site outside Port of Amsterdam and I can't find them on CC or in my favorites. Sorry to bother you but I would like to show them to CC board for RCL Jewel of the Seas March 30 TA and refresh my memory.

Thanks

Marge :cool:

Here you are:

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Amsterdam-Guide.pdf

Regards,

HeinBloed (not Heinz)

Looking over your pictures I see you were on RCL Jewel. Did you like it and any hidden spots that some ships have?

Marge

I am sorry - I doubt that I can help.

I remember "Chops Grille" very well but it was just too cold and too breezy for my taste. Therefore I did have her in my best mind.

But nice ship - but not mine.

Regards,

HeinBloed

The pictures and directions are fantastic. Vielen dank.

I have not yet digested all the information but know that this is what we want to do. We may have some more questions and I was wondering if you would send me an email so I can contact you direct for future details.

My address is jbrentjes at comcast dot net.

Gutten tag und wiedersehn

The candy store, Akor, where I picked up my marzipan, was ordered for me by someone who speaks German. The lady there doesn't speak English. However, there are grocery stores in Warnemunde that sells Niederegger Lubeck marzipan also. I know that a couple from our cruise ship went there to get marzipan even tho' they went to Lubeck.

We also saw the Niederegger Lubeck marzipans at the Rostock Kaufhof dept. store on the main floor towards the back.

I'm glad that he replied.

While waiting for my dh at the Kaufhof dept. store, a very nice German gentleman asked me about us. He looked amazed when I told him all the things we did that day especially that we had gone on the Mollie train. It was a very relaxing day

I looked at google earth and saw the photo of the church you saw but could not find the other two. We had followed a trail until we came to the Kirch trail and eventually went back to the main trail to the beach. The Kirch trail is between the bahnhof and the beach.

Again thanks to Heinbloed and Paiagirl for your suggestions. I did some more research and found a web site that might be of interest to any one who wants to take a train and/or bus in the Warnemunde-Rostock area.

http://www.verkehrsverbund-warnow.com/

It is the English version of the transportation system in the area and has two good maps that show the bus and train routes, a great explanation about time tables, buying tickets, etc. When you download one of the two maps, be patient; it takes a while (one is over 1GB) but I found them very useful.

Bus 119, and how it gets you to Bad Doberan, is clearly marked on the larger map.

This also brings up an alternate way to get back to the ship or to go on to Rostock. You can take the train, as you did, but you can also take another bus. Bus 121 takes you to Reutershagen where you can catch the train to Warnemunde or another bus to go to downtown Rostock.

I also found out that the family (group) ticket is for a max of five persons per day and is good on buses, trains and ferries. Just like you had mentioned.

Now we can hardly wait to do this.

• 4 weeks later...

Len3, I don't know if you are referring if you need reservation for the Mollie train. I came back to this thread to see if I gave the site for the mollie train schedule because I believe I had given the wrong one before.

The site is: http://mollie-bahn.de

It doesn't have the new schedule yet, however; you can have an idea of the departures.

Go to the ticket office and purchase your tickets. No reservation needed.

Archived