Other Than Berlin - What Did You Do?

Len3

Which ship?

When?

How many persons (if with children: age???)?

Subject you do not go to Lübeck: Intention to stop in Rostock and walk around?

Subject you do not go to Lübeck: Intention to make one way by ship to/from Rostock???

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hein, Just 2 of us - no children. We will be on Century Jun 24 from 9am till midnight.

I have since found your very helpful document of how to get from Warnemunde to Bad Doberan for the Mollie - and I now understand you have to return to BD - so from there you can catch a train to Rostock - and can you also catch a train to Lubeck too?

From either of these places how do you get back to Warnemunde please?

many thanks for your assistance on these boards!

Sam from "GHOST" is here in this thread:

My answer + your new request "disappeared".

Due to the mail notification I am able to answer:

---Quote (Originally by HeinBloed)---

Which ship?

When?

How many persons (if with children: age???)?

Subject you do not go to Lübeck: Intention to stop in Rostock and walk around?

Subject you do not go to Lübeck: Intention to make one way by ship to/from Rostock???

Regards,

HeinBloed

---End Quote---

Hein, Just 2 of us - no children. We will be on Century Jun 24 from 9am till midnight.

I have since found your very helpful document of how to get from Warnemunde to Bad Doberan for the Mollie - and I now understand you have to return to BD - so from there you can catch a train to Rostock - and can you also catch a train to Lubeck too?

>From either of these places how do you get back to Warnemunde please?

many thanks for your assistance on these boards!

Let's try it again. I hope that you get an e-mail notification that you are able to read the answer there if it disappeared again...

June 24, 2008 = Tuesday

I would do following thing:

Walk a little around in Warnemünde and then get back to the station:

Buy two single tickets to Bad Doberan at the ticket machine

for 2.90 EUR (each) NOT VIA ROSTOCK. Do not forget to punch/validate/cancel the ticket at the yellow box at the access to the platform.

dep 10.22 hrs S1 train from Warnemünde (platform 3)

arr 10.24 hrs at Warnemünde Werft (Shipyard)

(you can also just walk about 15 minutes from the cruiseterminal alongside of the rails to Warnemünde Werft - if the weather is nice).

dep 10.40 hrs Bus 119 from Warnemünde Werft

arr 11.12 at Bad Doberan Station

The ticket is valid for this train to Warnemünde Werft and the bus to Bad Doberan.

Here you buy a new return ticket to Kühlungsborn West which is 10.00 EUR (each - no credit card - cash only).

dep 11.36 hrs Molli-Train from Bad Doberan

arr 12.21 at Kühlungsborn West

time enough for a lunch but I would maybe leave earlier at Kühlungsborn Ost (= East) already the station to extend a little bit my stay

or at Heiligendamm and eat where Tony Blair was staying during the G8-summit last summer at Kempinski Resort.

dep 13.35 hrs Molli-Train from Kühlungsborn West

arr 14.22 hrs at Bad Doberan

Buy here (or already the same morning at Warnemünde station) a so-called "Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern" (Day Pass for Mecklenburg-Western Pommerenia) for 25.00 EUR (one is valid for upto five persons!)

dep 14.32 hrs RE 33178 from Bad Doberan (platform 2)

arr 15.15 hrs at Wismar (platform 2)

dep 15.32 hrs RE 38127 from Wismar (platform 1)

arr 15.47 hrs at Bad Kleinen (platform 4)

dep 16.02 hrs RE 21624 from Bad Kleinen (platform 3)

arr 16.54 hrs at Lübeck Hbf (Central Station)

You have time to walk around until

dep 19.04 hrs RE 21631 from Lübeck Hbf (platform 6)

arr 19.55 at Bad Kleinen (platform 3)

dep 20.02 hrs RE 33017 from Bad Kleinen (platform 2)

arr 20.52 at Rostock Hbf (platform 6)

dep 21.01 hrs S1 train from Rostock Hbf (platform 1)

arr 21.21 at Warnemünde

Are you Scotch??? Are you stingy???

2.90 EUR for Scenic bus ride to Bad Doberan

10.00 EUR for Molli-Train

12.50 EUR (= 1/2 Day Pass) for Lübeck

-------------------------------------------

25.40 EUR = about 19 GBP... not bad for a one-day-excursion - or???

For Lübeck: http://home.arcor.de/yao/Luebeck.pdf

Regards,

HeinBloed

can we follow you same instructions, ride the Molli train & then visit Schwerin (?) Castle. Is all this doable in a day? Our ship leaves very late (11:30PM) from Warnemunde.

It's always possible - but I better should know which ship on which day.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We'll be on the Carnival Splendor, which will be docked in Warnemunde on 21/08, Thursday.

Can we follow you same instructions, ride the Molli train & then visit Schwerin (?) Castle. Is all this doable in a day? Our ship leaves very late (11:30PM) from Warnemunde.

Now: absolutely yes.

Normally I would say just follow the instructions for little britain until you are in Bad Doberan... BUT your ship arrives so early that you spend more time at the different places!!!

I would do following thing:

Walk a little around in Warnemünde and then get back to the station:

Buy two single tickets to Bad Doberan at the ticket machine

for 2.90 EUR (each) NOT VIA ROSTOCK. Do not forget to punch/validate/cancel the ticket at the yellow box at the access to the platform.

dep 07.32 hrs S1 train from Warnemünde (platform 4)

arr 07.34 hrs at Warnemünde Werft (Shipyard)

(you can also just walk about 15 minutes from the cruiseterminal alongside of the rails to Warnemünde Werft - if the weather is nice).

dep 07.50 hrs Bus 119 from Warnemünde Werft

arr 08.22 at Bad Doberan Station

The ticket is valid for this train to Warnemünde Werft and the bus to Bad Doberan.

Here you buy a new return ticket to Kühlungsborn West which is 10.00 EUR (each - no credit card - cash only).

dep 08.35 hrs Molli-Train from Bad Doberan

arr 09.17 at Kühlungsborn West

time enough for a
cup of coffee
but I would maybe leave earlier at Kühlungsborn Ost (= East) already the station to extend a little bit my stay

or at Heiligendamm and eat where

George W. Bush
was staying during the G8-summit last summer at Kempinski Resort.

dep 11.35 hrs Molli-Train from Kühlungsborn West

arr 12.18 hrs at Bad Doberan

You have more time with the Molli-Train as your ship arrives much more earlier...

Buy here (or already the same morning at Warnemünde station) a so-called "Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern" (Day Pass for Mecklenburg-Western Pommerenia) for 25.00 EUR (one is valid for upto five persons!)

dep 12.32 hrs RE 33174 from Bad Doberan (platform 2)

arr 13.15 hrs at Wismar (platform 2)

Now I would stay here in Wismar for lunch and a walk-around as your time allows it.

dep 14.44 hrs RE 33131 from Wismar (platform 1)

arr 15.13 hrs at Schwerin Hbf (Central Station)

Walk first to the castle and tour there inside.

At 17.30 hrs the last lake cruise leaves from the castle.

dep 19.51 hrs RE 33017 from Schwerin Hbf (platform 2)

arr 20.52 hrs at Rostock Hbf (platform 6)

arr 21.21 hrs at Warnemünde

I hope that you know why I first need to know which ship and which date. So I can check individually for the schedules and tickets.

If you think that Kühlungsborn/Heiligendamm is too boring or due to weather it's not nice to stay: you can always go one hour earlier.

So you might also add Bad Doberan Cathedrale before you board for Wismar.

If you are not interested to see Wismar you can always go earlier to Schwerin one hour ahead of suggested schedule.

My personal schedule would be

dep 07.32 hrs S1 train from Warnemünde (platform 4)

arr 07.34 hrs at Warnemünde Werft (Shipyard)

dep 08.35 hrs Molli-Train from Bad Doberan

arr 09.17 at Kühlungsborn West

but then I would stay onboard of Molli-Train and return

dep 09.35 hrs dep Kühlungsborn West

arr 09.57 hrs arr Heiligendamm

I would walk around Heiligendamm a little bit. If it is rainy I can get a cup of coffee in the Kempinski Hotel Resort and continue on Molli-Train

dep 10.59 hrs dep Heiligendamm

arr 11.14 hrs at Bad Doberan Stadtmitte (Town Center)

I would go and see Bad Doberan Münster (= Cathedrale)

and return back to Molli-Train or direct walk to station Bad Doberan

dep 12.14 hrs Molli-Train from Bad Doberan Stadtmitte

arr 12.18 hrs at Bad Doberan

It's a question of personal preferences. But due to your long stay in Warnemünde I would try to get as much as possible.

As you mentioned you like to see Palace Schwerin you might like old buildings like Bad Doberan Münster and City Center of Wismar.

Have fun in Mecklenburg!

Willkommen in Deutschland!

Welcome to Germany!

HeinBloed

Heinblod, I have been reading these posts and just want to say thank you for all your answers. I do not have any questions! We are in Warnemunde next Tuesday and intend to follow the instructions of a train to W. Werft, a bus to Bad Doberan then the Molli train. Hopefully returning via Rostock. My husband ws raised in a 'Steam Town' in the UK and loves steam trains. I will post back here in June about our day out.

Cinnamon

We are in Warnemunde next Tuesday and intend to follow the instructions of a train to W. Werft, a bus to Bad Doberan then the Molli train. Hopefully returning via Rostock. My husband ws raised in a 'Steam Town' in the UK and loves steam trains.

I remember that there is a small exhibition in the train station building at Kühlungsborn West showing the history of this train line.

Before you might miss it: try to get in and check it yourself!!!

I am sure that a lot of souvenirs are available there and you and your husband will have a lot of fun.

Have fun on the Molli-Train!

Willkommen in Deutschland!

Welcome to Germany!

HeinBloed

HeinBloed,

I truly appreciate your time in putting together a wonderful itinerary for the day.

I have an additional question.

If we rented a car and followed the same itinerary, instead of using the train(other than riding the Molli Train), would we be spending as much time traveling ?

So, Would we be better off renting a car?

Thanks, again!

If we rented a car and followed the same itinerary, instead of using the train(other than riding the Molli Train), would we be spending as much time traveling ? So, Would we be better off renting a car?

The car rental is the much better option. Gives you more time and flexibility at the single places (besides the places alongside Molli-Train).

It's nicer as especially you can stop at the Schwerin Lakes with your car.

In this part of Germany it's easy to drive yourself: driving like in Maine.

The best is to rent with Hertz St. Petersburg Street. They deliver the car to the cruise terminal.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hello HeinBloed,

I will echo everyone's sentiment and thank you for all the information you have provided us.

I would like to ask your help with my family's itinerary (my parents, sister and me (we are all fit to climb up and down stairs).

We will be in Warnemunde on the 24th of June 08 from 9 am till 11:59pm aboard Celebrity's Century cruise ship.

After reading through this forum, I think the best plan would be to start in Warnemunde and take off on the first bus to Bad Doberan and catch the Molli train to Rostock where can spend some time having lunch and walking around then grab a train to Lubech (my parents love marzipan) and spend some time there. Finally head back to Warnemunde and spend the rest of our time there (I would rather we spend our time in Warnemunde at the end of the day that way we won't be squeezed on time in Lubech.

I have two questions for you:

Do you think that this is too much to squeeze into our day?

Second and I hope you don't mind helping me with this, but I am stuggling to figure out the train and bus times and the connections (where and how to transfer).

I am in no rush, so whenever you get the time, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

I would like to ask your help with my family's itinerary (my parents, sister and me (we are all fit to climb up and down stairs).

We will be in Warnemunde on the 24th of June 08 from 9 am till 11:59pm aboard Celebrity's Century cruise ship.

No problem - nice extended stay...

After reading through this forum, I think the best plan would be to start in Warnemunde and take off on the first bus to Bad Doberan and catch the Molli train to Rostock where can spend some time having lunch and walking around then grab a train to Lubech (my parents love marzipan) and spend some time there. Finally head back to Warnemunde and spend the rest of our time there (I would rather we spend our time in Warnemunde at the end of the day that way we won't be squeezed on time in Lubech.

I do not think that there will a problem.

Especially if your parents are Marzipan fan - I can tell you a story from our last cruise.

We just came from Lübeck with my friend's family who was the first time in Lübeck.

I planned a short lunch at Niedereggers Cafe but it was extended to big shopping tour in the store for 90 minutes.

By this way: the run also now a coffee house in the court of the Town Hall so you can have a beautiful view of the town hall just opposite of the original store and coffee house at Niederegger.

You will not miss the ship as the store will close at 7.00 pm!

Do you think that this is too much to squeeze into our day?

Let's try it - see above and below.

Second and I hope you don't mind helping me with this, but I am stuggling to figure out the train and bus times and the connections (where and how to transfer).

Walk around in Warnemünde:

Buy two single tickets to Bad Doberan (direct way) - no transfer via Rostock for 2.90 EUR (single - Einzelfahrkarte).

You were talking about your parents - so no idea how old you are.

Subject you are 14 or younger: 2.00 EUR for a discounted ticket (Ermäßigungskarte - Einzelfahrkarte).

and buy one Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for 25.00 EUR at the machines at Warnemünde Station.

The single tickets are valid from Warnemünde to Bad Doberan incl. transfer must be punched/validated/cancelled at the orange box at the platform access!!!

dep 10.22 hrs S1 train from Warnemünde (platform 3)

arr 10.24 hrs arr Warnemünde Werft

dep 10.40 hrs Bus 119 from Warnemünde Werft

arr 11.12 arr Bad Doberan Bahnhof

Subject you have a very soon debarkation in Warnemünde: you can go exactly one hour earlier for the section from Warnemünde to Bad Doberan incl. Molli-Train. But I think you should also walk a little bit around in Warnemünde before you are going to Molli and Lübeck.

Here you buy for 10.00 EUR return tickets to Kühlungsborn for the Molli-Train.

arr 12.21 hrs at Kühlungsborn West

dep 13. hrs Molli-Train from Kühlungsborn West

arr 14.22 hrs at Bad Doberan

dep 14.32 hrs RE 33178 from Bad Doberan (platform 2)

arr 15.15 hrs at Wismar (platform 2)

dep 15.32 hrs RE 38217 from Wismar (platform 1)

arr 15.47 hrs at Bad Kleinen (platform 4)

dep 16.02 hrs RE 21624 from Bad Kleinen (platform 3)

arr 16.54 hrs at Lübeck Hbf (Central Station)

Return

dep 19.04 hrs RE 21631 from Lübeck Hbf (platform 6)

arr 19.55 hrs at Bad Kleinen (platform 2)

dep 20.02 hrs RE 33017 from Bad Kleinen (platform 2)

arr 20.52 hrs at Rostock Hbf

It's enough time for a short walk through Rostock

last connection to catch your ship is

dep 22.31 hrs S1 train from Rostock Hbf (platform 2)

arr 22.51 hrs at Warnemünde

Subject you are too tired:

arr 21.21 hrs at Warnemünde

Frankly spoken:

I would not stay so long in Kühlungsborn and would try to get earlier to Lübeck to spend more time there.

Therefore I would do:

arr 11.54 hrs at Heiligendamm (and walk a little bit there around)

or

arr 12.21 hrs at Kühlungsborn Ost (and walk a little bit there around)

Then return

dep 12.44 hrs from Kühlungsborn Ost (after short walk - there is not so much more to discover...)

or (subject where you discharged originally)

dep 12.59 hrs from Heiligendamm (was time enough for a cup of coffee and the see the old resort buildings)

arr 13.18 hrs at Bad Doberan

dep 13.32 hrs RE 33176 from Bad Doberan (platform 2)

arr 14.15 hrs at Wismar (platform 2)

dep 14.44 hrs RE 33131 from Wismar (platform 1)

arr 14.59 hrs at Bad Kleinen (platform 4)

dep 15.04 hrs RE 5306 from Bad Kleinen (platform 3)

arr 15.56 hrs at Lübeck Hbf (Central Station)

This will give you one more hour in Lübeck than in Kühlungsborn.

I would do this - if I have to decide.

Anyway!!!

Have a great day in Lübeck -

have a peace of cake and a scope of ice for me at Niedereggers.

Willkommen in Deutschland!!!

Welcome to Germany!!!

HeinBloed

Hey HeinBloed!

Wow that was fast! Thanks so much.

Two new questions for you:

Will the stores be open between 9 and 10:22 in Warnemunde (it is a Tuesday so I don't think that should be a problem, but just double checking)

Also, are there any trains that are going from Rostock Hbf to Warnemunde between the 21:01 and 22:31 (last) trains?

If you ever make it to the UAE and need some advice, drop me a line and I would be more than happy to return the favor! You have been extremely helpful!

Thanks again.

Two new questions for you:

Will the stores be open between 9 and 10:22 in Warnemunde (it is a Tuesday so I don't think that should be a problem, but just double checking)

I doubt. You have the right to open 24 hours a day but not on Sunday but in this part of Germany you are going home for dinner and having your family as part of your life. So shopping only outside of the City Centers in kind of malls which might be open until 22.00 hrs but mostly not a Tuesday.

Also, are there any trains that are going from Rostock Hbf to Warnemunde between the 21:01 and 22:31 (last) trains?

Yes: 21.41 hrs (platform 2) and 22.01 hrs (platform 1).

If you ever make it to the UAE and need some advice, drop me a line and I would be more than happy to return the favor! You have been extremely helpful!

Now I can book COSTA CLASSICA and COSTA EUROPA after I have my personal tour guide...

Thanks for your offer!

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed,

You appear to be a wealth of information! I have looked at many of your threads but I have a similar question for you. We'll be in Warnemunde on Saturday, July 12. I still haven't decided how best to spend the day and am not too sure about spending six/seven hours traveling to/from Berlin. Make it easy for me, what do you recommend for a relaxing day and still get back to the ship for dinner?

Thanks,

Alan

HeinBloed,

You appear to be a wealth of information! I have looked at many of your threads but I have a similar question for you. We'll be in Warnemunde on Saturday, July 12. I still haven't decided how best to spend the day and am not too sure about spending six/seven hours traveling to/from Berlin. Make it easy for me, what do you recommend for a relaxing day and still get back to the ship for dinner?

Thanks,

Alan

Fun guy... how should I know what you like to do...

1. Your ships arrives at 6.00 am. I can start planning with taking the first train at 6.30 am... but is it this what you want??? Are you participate to open dining or fixed dinner time (first or second seating)???

2. Are you willing to drive yourself??? How about cycling??? Can you see anymore ships (on river or on lakes) as you are on a ocean cruise???

3. How about your budget? Are you going alone, with family - children (age)???

4. How about your interest??? Are you living on a farm that you want to see men and buildings??? More modern because you are living in historic building or more historic because you are living in a sky-scraper...???

5. Are you the active sportsman or more the lazy potato-couch??? Do you prefer to entertain or to be entertained??? Any self-activities and initiatives???

Somehow it's difficult to recommend something if you do not know him...

So it's your turn...

Let's here what you want... otherwise I'll tell you to go on a fishing boat and come back when you have your own fish for dinner... But maybe it's not that what you like to hear... Or I make it much more easier: go to the beach and you'll say: is he nuts, as you might have an easy access to Venice Beach!

Remember "E.T.": More Input...

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed,

Heinbloed,

Fun guy... how should I know what you like to do...

1. Your ships arrives at 6.00 am. I can start planning with taking the first train at 6.30 am... but is it this what you want??? Are you participate to open dining or fixed dinner time (first or second seating)???

How about 07:30 -08:30? Would like to be back for dinner, seating is irrelevant!

2. Are you willing to drive yourself??? How about cycling??? Can you see anymore ships (on river or on lakes) as you are on a ocean cruise???

No driving, no cycling, no ships, would like to limit train transfers and keep it simple.

No budget, no children, just my wife

4. How about your interest??? Are you living on a farm that you want to see men and buildings??? More modern because you are living in historic building or more historic because you are living in a sky-scraper...???

No farm, no skyscrapers, interest in historical area, the molli train, local life.

5. Are you the active sportsman or more the lazy potato-couch??? Do you prefer to entertain or to be entertained??? Any self-activities and initiatives???

No couch potato , no entertainment needed, Active is ok.

Thanks,

'Fun Guy'

How about 07:30 -08:30? Would like to be back for dinner, seating is irrelevant!

No driving, no cycling, no ships, would like to limit train transfers and keep it simple.

No budget, no children, just my wife

No farm, no skyscrapers, interest in historical area, the molli train, local life.

No couch potato , no entertainment needed, Active is ok.

Now we can limit more options:

Have a look to this map:

http://www.bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/alle/dbregio/ausfluege/meck_pomm/pdf/MDB46970-mv_liniennetz_2007_08.pdf

Warnemünde is located at the numbers 34, 35, 40.

The historical sites are 17-26.

17 Palace Ludwigslust

18 Museum Schabbelhaus in Wismar

19 Museum Schwerin

20 Palace Schwerin

21 Palace Güstrow

22 Museum Müritz - Nature Discovery Center

26 Cathedrale Bad Doberan

a little more transit time required:

23 Hunting Castle Granitz

24 Regional Museum Neubrandenburg (not linked due to regional interest only)

25 Castle Stargard

Well - the number of palaces and castles in this area is very limited as there was in history only farmland and fishery. Non major king was interested to "occupy" this part and to set up new castles.

Therefore my suggestion will be

26 in combination with Molli-Train.

Have a look to the pictures (some website only in German) of 17-21 and tell me if you see the pictures one or two "love on your first sight".

22 is more something for Nature Lovers.

Once you tell me your "love on your first sight" I will try to combine something for you getting back ready for dinner.

If you make this kind of pre-selection we will avoid disappointment during your stay in Germany and make your trip pleasureable.

Regards,

HeinBloed

For all others who are reading and checking the map:

That's the validity area of Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern + Lübeck + Hamburg!

So if you are planning for your tours:

1-7 National Parks

8-16 "If Baltic Sea is closed" = Spas, Family Water Landscapes etc.

17-26 Palaces and Castles (Museums)

27-33 Technical Museums

34-41 River, Lake, Harbour cruises

42-43 Discount on food - Free welcome drink

44 (only if you stayovernight)

If you check the locations and you'll see that it is somehow far away to get a welcome drink at 43 you'll better can concentrate to built-up your own itinery during your stay in Warnemünde.

Check this brochure:

http://www.bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/alle/dbregio/ausfluege/meck_pomm/pdf/MDB46968-meck_pomm_ticket_2008_web.pdf

If you discover Percentage-sign "%" you'll get some discount on presentation of your Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

Should you need further information do not hesitate to post your requests.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hein, many thanks again for your info.

One Final question (perhaps!!).

If we decide to drive instead, I know that Hertz is the best car hire place, but could you kindly suggest a good route to take that will go through the scenic towns and countryside - perhaps driving to Bad Doberan to go on Molli, then down to the coast or to Scherwin, Rostock or Lubeck. If we hired a car around 08.30hr, and planned to get it back around 20.00hr could you suggest a nice itinerary? Many thanks!

If we decide to drive instead, I know that Hertz is the best car hire place, but could you kindly suggest a good route to take that will go through the scenic towns and countryside - perhaps driving to Bad Doberan to go on Molli, then down to the coast or to Scherwin, Rostock or Lubeck. If we hired a car around 08.30hr, and planned to get it back around 20.00hr could you suggest a nice itinerary? Many thanks!

I wrote this for another cruiser last season:

ONE BIG REQUEST BEFORE ALL OTHER OPEN IT:

1. It cost me a lot of money if you download it - and you do not drive but using the train. This is only for those who are driving themselves!!!

2. It has 55 pages! Therefore a long download time.

3. Therefore be fair to me and only click it if you really have the serious intention to book a car. Otherwise keep the free download capacity for those cruisers who are really need help. My free download capacity is limited per month and the more you download the more I have to pay!!!

http://home.arcor.de/yao/DIY-HL-HWI-DBR.pdf

She had a great time and a lot to see.

Subject you have booked your car send me an additional e-mail for additional instructions:

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

You need to replace "nickname" by my nickname used in this forum.

Just to avoid spam scanning techniques. Hope that they cannot solve such riddles.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Are there cabs for taxi tours at the dock at Warnemunde?

No - you need to book them if you need a guided tour.

Taxis are of course available in front of the cruise terminal but also if you are walking through the tunnel to the plaza in front of the train station.

Check here for taxi tours:

http://www.m-vp.de/2465/english/preise2.htm

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from our Baltic cruise on the Regatta.We followed the great directions from HeinBloed on this web site and rode the Molli Train. We did encounter 2 glitches so I thought I would pass the information along for others who are planning this trip. Chances are you would not make the same mistakes we made but for what it is worth - We were in port on a Saturday and I had not checked the bus schedule closely enough and we arrived in Warnemunde Werft with about a 1 1/2 hour wait for the bus. It only runs every two hours on Saturday so we went to the local supermarket and to a nearby Opel dealership and looked at the cars and talked to the friendly salesman who seemed eager to pracatice his English. It really was pleasant. We returned to the bus stop and the bus was right on time. It was a beautiful ride and we easily found the Molli Train which was there waiting. We took it to Kunlungsborn West and spend time walking around, having ice cream and seeing the beach. Since it was the weekend there were lots of folks there and it seemed quite festive. It was sunny but cool. We took the Molli train back to Bad Doberan. The train to Rostock and the Molli are coordinated so there was a very short wait. I think we should have stayed to see the town and the Cathedral but we did not. In Rostock we went to platform 2 and got the very convenient train to Warnemunde. Now comes glitch number two. The ticket inspector on the train asked to see our tickets and it turned out I had only gotten a one way ticket. I did not register that I had to push the third button on the left on the machine for the Day Ticket. We mistakenly pushed the first button(for one way) since we could not get the machine to switch to English and we could not read the selections. That was really dumb of us. Heinbloed clearly has the third button marked in his directions but for what ever reason I did not realize what I was supposed to do and did not have the sense to ask. The inspector was VERY NICE and just waved us on and we were thankful and lucky. After we got to Warnemunde I asked some questions and realized the error of my ways. So I am passing this along in case it is helpful to those of you planning to leave soon. Also, we had a very enjoyable time walking around Warnemunde and if you are looking for a cheap internet there is one in the building where the Hertz counter is located, right beside the cruise terminal. In fact it is run by the lady at the Hertz counter.

Thanks HeinBloed for your help because without you we would not have even tried getting to the Molli. And it all turned out just great!

Archived