Sydney in late August??

Budget Queen

Thank you both for your replies. I have gotten other information to only spend a couple days in Sydney and then spend time elsewhere. Cairns was recommended via a domestic flight. Would you both recommend this? Or have other top tourist spots??

I was in Sydney in November but then left for a cruise. :)

I know it's a very general question, but, if you have favorite areas- I am very interested in your input. :)

I have 7-10 days, only to work with.

I would travel north in August, as the weather is glorious then.

We travel north every year from May to June, which is a bit early in the winter season, with higher possibilities of rain than August.

My recommendations of where to go up north would depend on whether you will be driving, or whether you want to be based in a city (Cairns), a resort town (Port Douglas), rainforest (Daintree/Cape Tribulation), an island (Great Barrier Reef), etc.

I have gotten other information to only spend a couple days in Sydney and then spend time elsewhere. Cairns was recommended via a domestic flight.
How much time did you spend in Sydney last time? It's a city that really needs a minimum of two weeks to see properly, and preferably four weeks. If you didn't spend much time there last time, and you only have a week or just over, then I think you should spend your whole time there unless you're likely to go back again soon.

If you do want to go somewhere else, then going north might be a good idea - because in some of the places that you go the weather might be more pleasant than if you were to go in the summer. For example, it might be a good time of the year to go sailing around the Whitsunday Islands.

Quantas is running an excellent special now for August travel ...
Is this a new airline? ;)

[Pedant mode on: There is no "u" in "Qantas".]

We were in Sydney last August and the weather was glorious. It usually is around 70F. I remember just wearing a blouse with pants for the 5 days we were there. I could have worn a T.shirt if I had of been in the sun.

You can strike rain but we only had it for a few hours whilst we were there. Late August is even better. The Olympic Games were held from the 15th September and it was hot.

I would spend the time in Sydney if you were only there for a couple of days last visit as there is such a lot to see. I would definitely book the Bridge Climb before leaving home as to me that is a must. Also one of my favourite things to do in Sydney is to catch the ferry to Watson's Bay and have fish and chips at Doyle's restaurent. You can buy them from the pier and eat them on the grass close by, but I love sitting at Doyle's and looking out at the harbour, especially on a sunny day.

Another lovely trip is to catch the ferry to Mosman and then get the bus to Balmoral and have lunch at the Bather's Pavillion. There is also a wonderful walk from Mosman that takes you round to Old Cremorne.

Then of course, there are the trips to Manly and Bondi, up the river to Parramatta, the Blue Mountains etc. It is a great city for tourists.

Enjoy.

Jennie

Archived