QM2 in Quebec City

Twickenham

Thought I'd tell you all about the dockside party we had for the arrival of the Queen Mary 2 in Quebec City on Tuesday. We're real cruise ship junkies in QC, so there's always quite a few people at the dock when a ship comes in, but this was remarkable even for QC - the news said there were 16 000 people there, and I believe it! The port authority served hot dogs and soda (don't say we can't party with class!!!), and handed out fact sheets on the QM2 and mini-pennants to wave. There was also a Dixieland band and some bagpipers playing (not together, thankfully). Quite a large collection of smaller boats went out to accompany it into port, including an excursion boat (the Louis-Jolliet), which had to be listing at least 10 degrees with all the people on one side to see the QM2! Much waving and cheering, both from the people on the dock and the people on the ship. The docking was something to watch - since she's going back towards NY after Quebec, she made a u-turn in the middle of the St-Lawrence, then gave us one of the most amazing spectacles I've ever seen: a 150 000 grt ocean liner... parallel parking!!! By that time, my mom and I had a spot under the gangplank, so all we could see was the ship getting closer and closer (and the people in the indoor promenade beside the theatre). Then, when she had finally docked, we walked back, and looked up... way up! Nothing prepares you for how massive this ship is. But she isn't just big, she's also incredibly elegant.

Then, since my father had missed the arrival, we decided to all go down for her departure, last night at 11pm. There were nearly as many people there (even without the free hot dogs!), and there was truly a festive mood, both on the dock and on the ship. There was a bagpiper on the ship playing, and even more people on their balconies or the promenade deck, waving and cheering. Then she slowly pulled away, looking even more glorious at night with all her lights on.

I'd love it if someone who was on the ship could post here, telling us what it was like from their vantage point, how it compares with other receptions the ship has had in other ports, etc.

What a Reception!

Starting hours before Quebec City itself, as we progressed up the St. Lawrence the riverbank was lined with onlookers and the river itself teeming with large and small craft saluting the QM2. From time to time the QM2's booming salute brought forth cheers and responses of all sorts from shore and water.

The city itself turned out in force. According to the following morning’s newspaper the crowds numbered some 25,000 ...later said to be closer to 30,000. Truly a sea of humanity shouting and cheering. Of course as we neared the dock the number of boats including fireboats increased. Onshore the flash cameras gave the impression of a fireworks display.

Fortunately the pier is right in the city itself at the foot of the mount and day and night there was a constant stream of Quebecois walking by. Even tho this was a weekday the flow continued. It seemed as if the whole city took a holiday. Our 11pm departure the following day was equally spectacular as we pulled away to the cheers, music, singing (Auld Lang Syng) and of course the Bagpipers aboard.

We have heard so much about the spectacular reception in the Canary Islands but we doubt if it could have possibly surpassed this.

In April we were on the maiden westbound transatlantic voyage to NY and indeed the Sailaway at Southampton was unforgettable with marching bands, British and American Flags, and flowing Champagne (Gratis Incidentally) as was the arrival in our great home port New York but in all honesty the Quebec Reception was the tops!

Halifax the birthplace of Samuel Cunard also gave a great welcome as did Bar Harbor where a Holiday was declared.

All in all an unforgettable 12 days which only whetted our appetite for more and more of this Grand Dame.

cadum

Hi Cadum

I didn't know you were on this sailing. If you remember I am Miss Martha's friend. I left you a note on the 4-16 cruise but we never were able to get together. Wow, what a year on the QM2 you have been having. I have a friend on now and can't wait to hear all about it. Enjoy.

Bon voyage

Que Lastima!! What a Pity!!

Were you also on this trip? If only our Miss M. knew that you too were going to be on this NY-Quebec-NY trip she surely would have alerted both of us so that we wouldn’t have missed a get-together this time.

By-the-by apart from the main subject of this posting have you any special comments on the cruise? For us the QM2 again scored a 9-plus out of a TEN.

Our Comments: (Maybe should be separate posting)

POSITIVE OR ABOVE AVERAGE:

All the Breads and Pastries (especially breakfast items) were absolutely super. I wish I knew who was responsible to extend compliments ... maybe the main pastry chef.

Other food e.g. Britannia generally A-one.

Illuminations something to see.

Shows excellent

Queens Room - beautiful

Disco - not to be missed

Tender Service - very good

NEGATIVE (nothing really negative but just slightly less than Positive):

Deck 7 and all it sections need a little “fine tuning” especially the evening restaurants. One passenger called it a Disaster Area.

Purser’s staff (re courtesy) scored a less than a ten – only a two?

Accounting - we and others had to correct several errors - i.e. billing for services we did not get.

Todd English - Fuggedabouttit?? (spellings?)

Baggage - maybe just a fluke but for the first time in many many cruises one of our bags delivered very late (several hours) although both checked in at the same time and put on the same trolley as we arrived pier.

cadum

cadum,

I am looking forward to your further comments on your latest trip. Please tell me more....

But.... I am off to my last adventure on a beautiful little ship soon and will let you know how it goes! Wish you all and M.B. (and a few others - hopefully they know who they are) could be there.....

Miss Vale

Hi,

No Cadum, I regrettably, was not on that cruise. But I have a question. Did you think that there was anything negative about Todd English? I LOVE that restaurant, especially the desserts.....I have friends who are on now (9-29 cruise) and thought that was the one you were on. Also, I see you thought the shows were excellent. Did you see Rock at the Opera? I love that show. When we were on for the Mother's Day cruise, my husband, who hates musicals, said he even loved that show. That's high praise from my hubby.

Charlotte Vale - What small, beautiful ship might you be going on?

Bon voyage

cruisr,

The small, beautiful ship I refered to used to be the M/S Vistafjord, now the M/S Caronia. Soon to be the M/S Saga Ruby after a rebuild.

The ship has great classic profile, had a wonderful mix of international passengers, wonderful staff and crew and Norwegian Captains who could fly by the seat of their pants......

Miss Vale

Miss Charlotte.........had the "small ship, Caronia" had an extra cabin, I would have certainly been ON BOARD! But, do you think "they" would have been ready for the two of us? After all, you and I are the orginal "terrorizers!" hahaha Perhaps I should say, "the orginal fun makers that always cause alot of happenings!" Have a grand and glorious sailing! I'll be thinking of YOU!

Let's e-mail and "tell ALL we know!" I have a few stories to tell you about our "Seabourn Pride Sept. Northern Crossing!"

Much love.........."La Dolce Vita!

Miss Martita B.

cruisr

RE Todd English (which we tried twice) ... no nothing really negative but why pay extra when the other venues are first-rate? As far as deserts are concerned again why pay when excellence is available at no extra charge.

Of course my “Bottom Line” is that the QM2 is tops in the Cunard tradition and nothing can top them. An Ocean Liner is an Ocean Liner.

PS: Small comment ... I still remember fondly the Vistafjord!!!

PS Again: Charlotte Vale - Bon Voyage ... wish we could join you!

cadum

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I made a reservation in Todd English as a special romantic dinner for two and as a break from our 6 seater table in Brittania. We were allocated a table for two, but these small tables are so close together that it was just impossible to have any privacy. We may just as well have been on a table for eight! We ended up chatting with our neighbours on both sides, which was ok, but not exactly the romatic dinner for two we had planned.

WOW! Seeing all those people on the pier! What a sensation! We were hanging out of a cabin balcony on deck four, which is te fisrt deck beneath the black part of the ship's hull, so we were fairly close to everyone on the pier.

And then leaving the next evening! What a sight! The moon 3/4 full and bright orange over Quebec. The man with the harmonica on the pier. Everyone singing and waving!

Marc in DC

• 11 years later...

Hi,

I also have a quick Quebec City question. I am booked on the QM2's September 27, 2016 Canada / New England cruise. When the ship is docked in Quebec City, I would like to visit the Chateau Frontenac. Is it within walking distance of where the ship will be docked?

Thanks,

Chuck

When the ship is docked in Quebec City, I would like to visit the Chateau Frontenac. Is it within walking distance of where the ship will be docked?
In Richard's photo the Chateau is the large building near the left edge. Assuming QM2 will dock in the same location it's about a 10-minute walk to the funicular lift that will take you to the plaza in front to the hotel. It's couple of dollars. If you're in shape you can climb the stairway to the right of the funicular and up/around block for another 5 or 10 minutes.

Time did she get into Quebec City? We are on her in Oct.

Our daughter is meeting us there for the couple of days we are treating her to a night in the Chateau Frontenac, cost more than a few nights on QM2 !

People have told me this is a lovely cruise and have been wanting it for a few years. I must sign in to the roll call.

Hi,

I also have a quick Quebec City question. I am booked on the QM2's September 27, 2016 Canada / New England cruise. When the ship is docked in Quebec City, I would like to visit the Chateau Frontenac. Is it within walking distance of where the ship will be docked?

Thanks,

Chuck

Yes. It's still a bit of a hike from the docking area. You can take the Funicular up to near the hotel, or walk up the winding road(really good exercise) from the "old" city.

In Richard's photo the Chateau is the large building near the left edge. Assuming QM2 will dock in the same location it's about a 10-minute walk to the funicular lift that will take you to the plaza in front to the hotel. It's couple of dollars. If you're in shape you can climb the stairway to the right of the funicular and up/around block for another 5 or 10 minutes.

Just to mention that we took that cruise in 2013, and QM2 did not dock in that port, so I wouldn't assume that the port will be as shown. Sorry I can't offer more information, but by the time we reached Quebec, the respiratory infection that was going around caught me, and so I confined myself to cabin for a few days. Anyway, I watched from my balcony those departing on tours. Buses, not Shank's Mare was the norm for those exploring Quebec from the port. Also the gangway presented difficulties for those passengers with mobility issues. I watched from my balcony as the crew did their best to assist, but clearly there were problems delaying ingress and egress.

Unlike almost every other port, Quebec does not post dock assignments more than a month in advance. On the day of QM2's arrival, there is one other ship due to arrive: the Caribbean Princess. Although much smaller than the QM2, it carries more passengers. It departs the same day as opposed to the QM2 which stays two nights.

http://www.portquebec.ca/en/cruises/vessel-schedules/seasonal-schedule

As I am boarding the QM2 on the 4th of October I hope the QM2 gets the preferred berth. There is room for both of those large ships at the same dock (berths 21 and 22) but unless there has been a recent change only one can have the convenient covered gangway to the terminal.

Last year some friends were on Holland America and RCL ships that docked at berth 30. It is close to the railway station and near a street that will take you to the Upper Town. I have walked that street many times. It is a bit steep so many people may not find it comfortable. (It's great walking down though:))

Here is a map of the docks. The Château Frontenac is not shown but, as previously indicated, is fairly close to berth 22.

http://www.portquebec.ca/en/cruises/information-for-cruise-ship-passengers/access-to-docks

Unlike almost every other port, Quebec does not post dock assignments more than a month in advance. On the day of QM2's arrival, there is one other ship due to arrive: the Caribbean Princess. Although much smaller than the QM2, it carries more passengers. It departs the same day as opposed to the QM2 which stays two nights.

http://www.portquebec.ca/en/cruises/vessel-schedules/seasonal-schedule

As I am boarding the QM2 on the 4th of October I hope the QM2 gets the preferred berth. There is room for both of those large ships at the same dock (berths 21 and 22) but unless there has been a recent change only one can have the convenient covered gangway to the terminal.

Last year some friends were on Holland America and RCL ships that docked at berth 30. It is close to the railway station and near a street that will take you to the Upper Town. I have walked that street many times. It is a bit steep so many people may not find it comfortable. (It's great walking down though:))

Here is a map of the docks. The Château Frontenac is not shown but, as previously indicated, is fairly close to berth 22.

http://www.portquebec.ca/en/cruises/information-for-cruise-ship-passengers/access-to-docks

Is there any pattern regarding length of stay and location? Do overnight stays get the "better" dock, or the farther away one? This fall, we'll be on a HAL ship with an overnight in Quebec City, and there are 2 other ships, a HAL on a one-day call, and an NCL which might also have an overnight stay.

Previous visits (QM2 and, way back when, QE2) always had us at the dock below the Frontenac.

Is there any pattern regarding length of stay and location? Do overnight stays get the "better" dock, or the farther away one? This fall, we'll be on a HAL ship with an overnight in Quebec City, and there are 2 other ships, a HAL on a one-day call, and an NCL which might also have an overnight stay.

Previous visits (QM2 and, way back when, QE2) always had us at the dock below the Frontenac.

I don't know how port authorities decide. It does seem that in most of the ports with which I am familiar the largest ship (meaning number of passengers, not necessarily the largest GRT) gets the best berth.

My friends who were on Holland America had been told they were going to the best pier, or at least the one beside it, but the QM2 was there and their ship had to go down the side to Wharf 30. Both their ship and the QM2 were in for two nights.

Similarly my friends who were on Royal Caribbean docked at Wharf 30 even though their ship was in for two nights. They didn't mind as they were leaving Quebec by train and the station is very close. By the way, Wharf 30 does not have a terminal building, just a large tent.

Given the schedule for when the QM2 will be in Quebec in October it is doubtful the QM2 will have to use anything other than Wharf 22 or 21. I certainly wouldn't want to be out at berth 103.

I don't know how port authorities decide. It does seem that in most of the ports with which I am familiar the largest ship (meaning number of passengers, not necessarily the largest GRT) gets the best berth.

My friends who were on Holland America had been told they were going to the best pier, or at least the one beside it, but the QM2 was there and their ship had to go down the side to Wharf 30. Both their ship and the QM2 were in for two nights.

Similarly my friends who were on Royal Caribbean docked at Wharf 30 even though their ship was in for two nights. They didn't mind as they were leaving Quebec by train and the station is very close. By the way, Wharf 30 does not have a terminal building, just a large tent.

Given the schedule for when the QM2 will be in Quebec in October it is doubtful the QM2 will have to use anything other than Wharf 22 or 21. I certainly wouldn't want to be out at berth 103.

I looked again at the Quebec City port schedule, and there will be 4 ships on Sept 16, when Zuiderdam arrives. So somebody will be at the Back of Beyond. Zuiderdam has an overnight to end a cruise. Then on the 17th thos pax get off, and we embark. And we stay until the afternoon of the 18th. In the midst of that, There's one (or maybe 2) nights overnight for Norwegian Dawn, plus day calls of Europa II and Rotterdam.

I remember the days before the terminal was built. QE2 just tied up next to that big parking lot. But it was only a port stop, not embarkation, so o problem. And we were used to stuff like that. Because of her size--remember when she was the biggest thing out there???--she often docked at out-of-the-way places.