Isle of Pines - What to do ???

Hi Pacific Sandy ( Sandra)

The Isle of Pines has some of the best snorkelling in the area. The left hand side of the sacred rock is the place to go and even if you are not a confident snorkeller there are plenty of fish to be seen within metres of the beach. The beach on the other side of the island has the whitest sand and it's almost as fine as talcum poweder. You'll love it!

Regards

CRUISING ALONG:)

Hi - How should we spend our day on the Isle of Pines??

Thanks very much for your help.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Swim, snorkel as already said.

It is a jewel in the Pacific. Don't plan on shopping there, as it is very expensive.

Have plenty of IOP in my S801 webshots album. Link is in my signature.

I see you are on Rhapsody this year. Check in and let us Aussies know how you rate her, as she will be in our waters again during our summer and there are a few that hang out here cruising on her.

We loved Isle of Pines the best. We just went to the beach and swam all day. Tried some of there food on the beach closest to the ship. Walked around the Island and took some photos and just lazed about! Really like this place and people where snorkelling everywhere!

The secret is to be the first off the ship - run (don't walk) to the sacred rock - and enjoy the snorkelling before the crowds arrive and kick up all the fine sand in the water. Great snorkelling.

Barry

If you're looking for some exercise to walk off all the food you're plied with on the ship - a walk out to the old prison ruins is worth it. But make sure you take plenty of water etc - the road's fairly open to the sun most of the way.

Hi Sandra,

Swim, snorkel as already said.

It is a jewel in the Pacific. Don't plan on shopping there, as it is very expensive.

Have plenty of IOP in my S801 webshots album. Link is in my signature.

I see you are on Rhapsody this year. Check in and let us Aussies know how you rate her, as she will be in our waters again during our summer and there are a few that hang out here cruising on her.

Hi Everyone - Thanks for all the great advice.

I will file a report about Rhapsody after I get home in May...remember, though...I'm going on a cruise with 10 girlfriends...so I may not remember a thing.:p :p

We are really looking forward to cruising Australia.

Sandra

• 5 weeks later...

The Isle of Pines has some of the best snorkelling in the area. The left hand side of the sacred rock is the place to go and even if you are not a confident snorkeller there are plenty of fish to be seen within metres of the beach. The beach on the other side of the island has the whitest sand and it's almost as fine as talcum poweder. You'll love it!

Regards

Thank you for the tips!

What i have been doing is going through the whole sit and getting all the tips all you great people give and listing them in note form in word on the computer. Then i will put it on the laptop i take with me and have a hard copy i take with me in case the computer has heart failure etc!

For first time cruisers like myself that is taking a family of 6, the tips on things to do and money saving tips are sensational! CC'ers rock!

Hi! The Isle of pines is a beautiful place, great for swimming and taking photos. When we were there in December we went on a great glass bottom boat trip with a local man. It was $10 each and went for about half an hour. It was excellent. There is also a shop there (on the right hand side as you walk towards the beach there is a sign and you just walk five minutes up the road) and the people stamped our passports for free. Best wishes from Pink Poodle

Hi Sandy!

Isle of Pines is lovely! You'll enjoy your day there :D

Make sure you take Central Pacific Francs with you as they don't accept any other currency in the shops there.

Click on my Pacific Explorer review in my sig and go to the Isle of Pines page. I've written heaps there about what you can expect to see and do while you're there. There's also a few hints and tips for IoP in the "Highlights" page :)

If you like snorkelling you'll LOVE Isle of Pines!

Hi there, been there twice, first time just snorkelled which was great and this last time in January we did a tour with a local in his bus for A$10 - $20 each which was worth doing as otherwise you don't really get to see much of the Island and the way of life there. Sorry can't remember what we paid exactly but it was so reasonable and there is a commentary about the sights as you go.

Enjoy, it's a beautiful place.:o :) The tour is only about an hour so there still leaves alot of time to enjoy the beach

Regards

Cruising Along,

How do you get to the beach on the other side of the island? If we need local transport to get there, where do we tell them we want to go?

How long does it take to get there?

Thanks for all your help! :)

Hi LuckiePuris

There is a short track that takes you across to the sacred rock, follow the crowd. It's only 5 minutes walk. The snorkelling is to the left of the rock.

Please do not climb on the rock and also take care with your belongings. A couple of cruises back our dinner companions had all their belongings stolen while they were snorkelling. So even though it is Paradise you need to keep security in mind.

Regards

Many years ago (1982) on Isle Of Pines I remember snorkelling at a fantastic spot near the other beach, (the beach with the white powdery sand), but last cruise I was too nervous to go out by myself and look for it as everyone else was snorkelling near the rock.

I remember it being more than half way down the beach and I saw so many amazing colourful fish and coral and crayfish too!

I would like to find that spot again!

Has anyone seen people snorkelling out from the beach with the white powdery sand?

Hi all, I need some help!! we are going to the Isle of Pines in January 2009, I havent been there since 1999, so looking forward to going back:) but as its nearly 10 years ago, my memory has left me a little, (or maybe thats just old age:p )

I found this gorgeous panorama of the beach, is this where the ship docks? and is it called Kuto bay http://www.new-caledonia-vacations.com/kouto_beach_isle_of_pines_new_caledonia.html

So where the sacred rock is, is that called Kunamera bay? http://www.newcaledoniatourism-south.com/Accommodations/highlights.cfm?did=12&hid=76

Ok so if this is right I have my bearings........so where is this lovely sandy beach........is it one of these?? or somewhere different?

I would like to find this place http://www.newcaledoniatourism-south.com/Accommodations/highlights.cfm?did=12&hid=73 anyone know where this is, or have a half decent map of Ilse of Pines??

Thanks, and I have probably confused everyone more:rolleyes:

Chez

xx

Hi all, I need some help!! we are going to the Isle of Pines in January 2009, I havent been there since 1999, so looking forward to going back:) but as its nearly 10 years ago, my memory has left me a little, (or maybe thats just old age:p )

I found this gorgeous panorama of the beach, is this where the ship docks? and is it called Kuto bay http://www.new-caledonia-vacations.com/kouto_beach_isle_of_pines_new_caledonia.html

So where the sacred rock is, is that called Kunamera bay? http://www.newcaledoniatourism-south.com/Accommodations/highlights.cfm?did=12&hid=76

Ok so if this is right I have my bearings........so where is this lovely sandy beach........is it one of these?? or somewhere different?

I would like to find this place http://www.newcaledoniatourism-south.com/Accommodations/highlights.cfm?did=12&hid=73 anyone know where this is, or have a half decent map of Ilse of Pines??

Thanks, and I have probably confused everyone more:rolleyes:

Chez

xx

Hi Chez we're looking forward to our day there in December haven't been since 1997..... that interactive link on Kuto Bay you found is fantastic the place still looks the same....stunning.....they had a small local market in the bushland area....and this is the bay that we docked in back then...tenders to a small pier...the Sacred rock is at Kanumera Bay and if you find out how to get to Oro please let us know...... maybe a local...!!! it looks even more stunning....this map isn't too bad..... cheers shiona

http://www.air-caledonie.nc/fr/iledespins_gd.htm

I was at the Isle of Pines 3 year ago (in 2006) & as far as I can remember we did not dock there (We where on the Pacific Star), & to what I have seen of cruse webcams, ships do not dock there, it’s a tender port.

Hope this helps :)

Hi Chez,

The photos are beautiful! The photo that you were wondering about is Oro Bay on the north-eastern end of the island. (The ships tender at the south end near Kuto Bay)

The sandy beach is Kuto and the rock is at Kanumera Bay.

Has anyone snorkelled in Kuto Bay? Everyone seems to go to the rock at Kanumera Bay, but this time I'd like to try Kuto.

You would need to hire a motorbike or jeep near the jetty to get to Oro Bay. There is a resort there. It's about 15-20 minutes drive.

A good website with lots of info is

http://www.ile-des-pins.com

That's really something to look forward to!

I was at the Isle of Pines 3 year ago (in 2006) & as far as I can remember we did not dock there (We where on the Pacific Star), & to what I have seen of cruse webcams, ships do not dock there, it’s a tender port.

Hope this helps :)

Kiwi, sorry knew it didnt dock there, meant to say anchor:o

Thanks for all for your replies, makes things a bit clearer.

Yes, Shiona it looks beautiful, I have some pictures in a photo album....(no digital cameras back then!) and it certainly didnt look as good as these pics:) .....mmmmm......so my next job is to find someone to take us to Oro bay, Luckpuris I think this might be the blue swimming hole you were talking about a while ago........

Chez

xx

[quote name=cheznandy;14078509..... but as its nearly 10 years ago' date=' my memory has left me a little, (or maybe thats just old age:p )

Chez

xx[/quote]

Could it possibly be the amount of alcohol consumed over the years?:p ;)

Archived