Caution bringing alcohol back on the plane

My friend and I just returned from a cruise and she packed a couple bottles of vodka in her checked luggage, no problems. This is a shame. I do have at home a styrofoam cooler thingy, shaped to fit two bottles. Wonder if that's what the airline is requiring? I've used it in the past for carry on (back when you could do that) and it worked out great. I got it from a friend so I have no idea where to find one, but they are out there.

We returned from a Mexican cruise aboard the Vision of the Seas in late February. We had purchased some Sheridan at the onboard liquor shop, waited till the end of the cruise to receive it only to have it taken away at the airport(LAX). We had placed it in our checked bags but the airline (United) personnel said that it was not allowed in the checked bags unless it was packed in styrafoam. We explained that it was packed in the box that RCI provided, taped and cushioned throughly. They still said it had to go and either we could take it or they would. Needless to say, we took it and gave it to some lucky LAPD officer who was glad to receive it from us. The United personnel said that RCI was aware of the styrafoam rule and that the airport did offer liquor packaging at the UPS store, but, lo-and behold it was Sunday and UPS was closed. Luckily we were only out approx $24.00 but I do believe this could be an expensive lesson for some people!:eek:

I have always just wrapped it in my clothes. Nothing hs ever been said. Guess now I'll know for next time..

Just pack them in one litre plastic water bottles. I'm really surprised that more liquour manufactures haven't moved to plastic bottles, it would make life so much easier!! We rarely bring glass bottles back from a trip. We just pour them into 500 ml or 1 litre water bottles.

Great, we are flying United on our return from Hawaii after our Radiance cruise this May and being Cdn like to bring back alcohol due to its high cost in Canada.

Did they give any details on how exactly it had to be packed in styrofoam ( sleeves, pads, etc) and did this happen at the luggage inspection (X-ray) station at LAX?

Hello Fellow Canadian!

You can actually check alcohol as checked luggage if you are flying within Canada only and you can check all that you like in the proper packages. The wineries where we bought wine used the floating plastic sleeves inside cardboard boxes. You cannot mail it at our post offices they consider it to be hazardous goods....flammable. If you want to ship anything through UPS, Puro etc. it has to be done at the point of purchase and only if the winery etc. has an agreement in place with either Canada Post or the Courier company.

We are only allowed 1.14 litres of alcohol per person per trip outside of Canada, you cannot pay duty and bring back more. If they find more than that they often confiscate the entire amount. We usually buy 2 - 1 litre bottles of rum. We buy at the airport, it is locked and we carry it on the plane.

Good luck and have an incredible trip!!!!

Dee

We are only allowed 1.14 litres of alcohol per person per trip outside of Canada, you cannot pay duty and bring back more. If they find more than that they often confiscate the entire amount. We usually buy 2 - 1 litre bottles of rum. We buy at the airport, it is locked and we carry it on the plane.

Good luck and have an incredible trip!!!!

Dee

You most certainly can bring back more than the 1.14 litres, you're just going to pay through the nose for it. This is from the Canada Customs site.

Alcoholic beverages

You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:

1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;

1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor;

a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of wine and liquor; or

24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounces) cans or bottles (maximum of 8.5 litres) of beer or ale.

Note:

We classify "cooler" products according to the alcoholic beverage they contain. For example, beer coolers are considered to be beer, wine coolers are considered to be wine. We do not consider beer and wine products not exceeding 0.5% alcohol by volume to be alcoholic beverages.

You can bring in more than the free allowance of alcohol except in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories. However, the quantities must be within the limit set by the province or territory where you will enter Canada. If the value of the goods is more than the free allowance, you will have to pay both customs and provincial or territorial assessments. For more information, check with the appropriate provincial or territorial liquor control authority before coming to Canada.

Does it come in a 3 oz. size?

That is kind of what I thought. I thought most everyone knew about the 3 oz liquid rule in your carry-on. :confused: OK rereading, checked luggage. I think that you were given bogus information. However, putting a big bottle of gooey liquor like Sheridan's in your suitcase is asking for a big mess when you get home. Waterproof float bags are the thing you need to always travel with. Put your liquor box inside the waterproof bag, and viola you are good to go with no worries.

jc

That is kind of what I thought. I thought most everyone knew about the 3 oz liquid rule in your carry-on. :confused: OK rereading, checked luggage. I think that you were given bogus information. However, putting a big bottle of gooey liquor like Sheridan's in your suitcase is asking for a big mess when you get home. Waterproof float bags are the thing you need to always travel with. Put your liquor box inside the waterproof bag, and viola you are good to go with no worries.

jc

We just returned from a 6 nt cruise from FLL and had no issue at all.

2 liters Amarula

3 gift bottles ( maybe 5 oz each ) Wray and Nephew Rum Cream

2 bottles Tequila

1 Bottle Tequila Cream

The Amarula was packed in a cardboard box from RCCL

other stuff was wrapped in bubblewrap we brought aboard.

Our friends brought back similar stuff - they flew on Delta and we flew on American. Similar situation coming back from Europe last summer.

Wonder if someone sells the styrofoam packaging so we could take some with us next cruise

You most certainly can bring back more than the 1.14 litres, you're just going to pay through the nose for it. This is from the Canada Customs site.

Alcoholic beverages

You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:

1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;

1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor;

a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of wine and liquor; or

24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounces) cans or bottles (maximum of 8.5 litres) of beer or ale.

Note:

We classify "cooler" products according to the alcoholic beverage they contain. For example, beer coolers are considered to be beer, wine coolers are considered to be wine. We do not consider beer and wine products not exceeding 0.5% alcohol by volume to be alcoholic beverages.

You can bring in more than the free allowance of alcohol except in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories. However, the quantities must be within the limit set by the province or territory where you will enter Canada. If the value of the goods is more than the free allowance, you will have to pay both customs and provincial or territorial assessments. For more information, check with the appropriate provincial or territorial liquor control authority before coming to Canada.

The top in red is correct.

One thing we always do is to bring back three liters of alcohol and DW and I declare 1.5 liters each with no problem or questions asked. Canada customs reg. allow 1.5 liter for wine and 1.14 liter for spirits but don't require the type only the amount on the declaration form. They never ask if it's wine and I was told a long time ago by a few custom's agent that two 750 ml was acceptable to them since normally the 1.14L size is not available outside of Canada.

I did not think that you could ship alcohol via UPS. Anyone know for sure? We tried to ship beer from Wisconsin a couple of years ago and UPS would not accept it. I can't remember their reasoning except that it was alcohol for consumption.

That's true--you cannot ship alcohol by UPS. But just like smuggling it on-board a ship, if you pack it and don't tell them what's in the package, you can get away with it. Just have to make it soundproof so no one hears the sloshing around.:cool:

I had the box in my checked baggage, as I have done many times in the past. This was my 11th cruise and I have never had a problem in the past. I was asked about liquid in my bags and told them yes, I did have some alcohol that I had purchased on board and that it was packaged in the box RCI provided(as it always had been). The check in clerk told me to either remove it or it would be removed.......that was that.

Archived