Caution bringing alcohol back on the plane

We returned from a Mexican cruise aboard the Vision of the Seas in late February. We had purchased some Sheridan at the onboard liquor shop, waited till the end of the cruise to receive it only to have it taken away at the airport(LAX). We had placed it in our checked bags but the airline (United) personnel said that it was not allowed in the checked bags unless it was packed in styrafoam. We explained that it was packed in the box that RCI provided, taped and cushioned throughly. They still said it had to go and either we could take it or they would. Needless to say, we took it and gave it to some lucky LAPD officer who was glad to receive it from us. The United personnel said that RCI was aware of the styrafoam rule and that the airport did offer liquor packaging at the UPS store, but, lo-and behold it was Sunday and UPS was closed. Luckily we were only out approx $24.00 but I do believe this could be an expensive lesson for some people!:eek:

Great, we are flying United on our return from Hawaii after our Radiance cruise this May and being Cdn like to bring back alcohol due to its high cost in Canada.

Did they give any details on how exactly it had to be packed in styrofoam ( sleeves, pads, etc) and did this happen at the luggage inspection (X-ray) station at LAX?

They noticed it at luggage check in. Both myself and the friends I was traveling with had to give our Sheridans up. They did not indicate how it should have been packed properly in styrofoam. Believe me, my friend even thought of trying to find styrofoam cups, then tear them up and line the box....but we didn't think that would suffice.

We returned from a Mexican cruise aboard the Vision of the Seas in late February. We had purchased some Sheridan at the onboard liquor shop, waited till the end of the cruise to receive it only to have it taken away at the airport(LAX). We had placed it in our checked bags but the airline (United) personnel said that it was not allowed in the checked bags unless it was packed in styrafoam.

How did United personnel know that you had liquor packed in your checked baggage? I have never been asked if I had liquids in my checked bags, and of course I always do because there is the shampoo, hairspray, Downy Wrinkle Release, etc.

I'm still confused (maybe because it's early in the morning!). We flew home in Feb (from Orlando FL) and had a few bottles packed in our suitcases. We watched while they were x-rayed- no problem. (We always travel with bubble wrap.LOL)

Are the airlines (or TSA) now saying that you can't have liquor in your checked luggage? Or is this just an LAX rule? (Or were the security personnel planning a party that evening and stocking up?)

We leave in less than 20 days for a river cruise-and had planned on packing some Scotch for DH. We are flying Continental (Newark to Brussels). So far (from what I can find) there's nothing on the TSA website about requiring liquids to be cushioned in any particular manner (like styrofoam) in your checked luggage. DH would need a lot of 3 oz bottles of Scotch to last the whole cruise!

TSA would only be interested in the security of the flight. A broken bottle of booze wouldn't interfere with the safe operation of the plane.

LAX might be interested from the standpoint of the liquor leaking out during the luggage handling process.

United, OTOH, would be the one to answer all the questions that others might have like "Why does my luggage smell like a tavern?" and "Where can I file a damage claim?" if one of our bottles broke.

Possibly UA has had some recent bad experiences and is tightening up their procedures for large bottles, liquor or otherwise.

And since the airlines often seem to move in lockstep with each other, it's probably a good idea for all of us to contact whatever airline we are using and check on their requirements. I know we would have been dissapointed if we had to give up our Guavaberry Liqueur from St. Martin last cruise.

Thanks cruisingcoppertop for the post.

Charlie

OP,

Can you clarify... Did you have it in your checked luggage or were you trying to check the box RCCL gave you as a second piece of luggage? If you had it in a suitcase, I agree they shouldn't have taken it, but if you were trying to check the box by itself, then they will take it if isn't in the sytrofoam packaging.

EDITEd: OK, so I reread your OP and I see you said it was in your checked bag... hmm... was your bag too heavy and you had to open it? I have never been such a thing and I bring wine back from LAX and SFO all the time....

sorry this happened to you.

I did not think that you could ship alcohol via UPS. Anyone know for sure? We tried to ship beer from Wisconsin a couple of years ago and UPS would not accept it. I can't remember their reasoning except that it was alcohol for consumption.

We returned from a Mexican cruise aboard the Vision of the Seas in late February. We had purchased some Sheridan at the onboard liquor shop, waited till the end of the cruise to receive it only to have it taken away at the airport(LAX). We had placed it in our checked bags but the airline (United) personnel said that it was not allowed in the checked bags unless it was packed in styrafoam. We explained that it was packed in the box that RCI provided, taped and cushioned throughly. They still said it had to go and either we could take it or they would. Needless to say, we took it and gave it to some lucky LAPD officer who was glad to receive it from us. The United personnel said that RCI was aware of the styrafoam rule and that the airport did offer liquor packaging at the UPS store, but, lo-and behold it was Sunday and UPS was closed. Luckily we were only out approx $24.00 but I do believe this could be an expensive lesson for some people!:eek:

I have always just assumed that, if they wont let me bring a knife onto the plane in my carry on bag WHY would they let me bring a big ol glass bottle....?

I just always pack carefully into in my checked luggage....it always makes it home, I have never had a problem!

Now I dont ever offer to them the information that it is in my checked luggage!

I did not think that you could ship alcohol via UPS. Anyone know for sure? We tried to ship beer from Wisconsin a couple of years ago and UPS would not accept it. I can't remember their reasoning except that it was alcohol for consumption.

My guess would be that they decline shipping it because it is flammable.

My guess would be that they decline shipping it because it is flammable.

I don't think it's the flammability. It has more to do with alcohol regulations. There are so many different regulations on the transport of alcoholic beverages that vary from state to state that most of the shipping companies just don't want to deal with it.

I have always just assumed that, if they wont let me bring a knife onto the plane in my carry on bag WHY would they let me bring a big ol glass bottle....?

OP said it was in his cheaked luggage not in his carry on.

I don't think it's the flammability. It has more to do with alcohol regulations. There are so many different regulations on the transport of alcoholic beverages that vary from state to state that most of the shipping companies just don't want to deal with it.

You beat me to it. That is what my response was going to be. I know that there are regulations covering this and that the authorities watch for interstate transport of large quatities of alcohol purchased in low tax/cost states to higher tax therefore price states, ie Maryland to Pennsylvannia.

Archived