Cruising with Diabetes

2Oregonians

No doubt this has been covered before, but search function is not working right now.

I have cruised twice before, but it was before I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I now have tight control of my blood sugars and want to keep it that way. I eat small meals 6 times a day (about every 3 hours). I think the buffet will be easy because I can see what I'm getting. I'm a little bit concerned about the dining room. I should mention I can't eat fish or seafood. I want variety. Chicken is always good, but can get boring. I want to make sure things aren't prepared in creamy or sugary sauces. I don't think I'll be able to order exactly what's on the menu. Should I just say, for example, "I want 3 ounces of broiled chicken, 1 cup of steamed vegetables, but no cauliflower, 1/4 cup of brown rice with no butter" etc.?? I'd like to have good tasting food, not bland and boring, but the menu items probably won't be appropriate. How has anyone else handled this?

My other concern is during shore excursions. As I stated, I eat small amounts every 3 hours, so obviously I'll need to take something ashore. Can I ask for a 'to-go' box? My snacks consist of about 15g of carbs, 7g of protein, and about 3g of fat. Cheese and crackers, banana and peanut butter, things like that. Anyone have experience here? Please give me some good tips! Thanks you.

I have found that small meals is the way for me also- but I always do dinner. I just stay away from the bread and go easy on the pasta, rice and potatoes. It is not necessry to order from each course if I feel the choices will raise my blood sugar more then it should. It is easy to go with soup, salad, and a main course. Those are usually "safe" where as the appetizers offered are not always a good choice.

I have found that my bloodsugar stays GREAT on crusies and I can actually eat more then I normally do. I attribute this to all the walking I do on ship.

this is a typical day on ship for me.

Breakfast-omlet, grapefruit, one slice of wholewheat toast.

Lunch- chef's salad.

Snack-always the ice cream! but just ice cream -no sprinkles toppings etc. and just one scoop-the stuff offered in the lido restuarant, NEVER, the Ben and Jerry's or Hodgen Doz-I KNOW what those brands will do to my blood sugar-so I save money and keep my blood sugar under control at the same time!

then I have dinner as I already described-I usually skip the appetizer and bread.

In the evening I have one alcoholic drink-if my sugar is good, I may splurge on a foo-foo-if not-plain rum and diet coke.

since I LOVE speciallty coffees I also allow myself a couple of these during the day or sometimes after dinner and I sweeten them with the coffee flavored splendas.

as far as the dinner part, just order whats on the menu then dont eat the portions that you cant eat.. thats easier

they dont give you huge amounts anyway.

if you are scared of getting a reaction while off the ship get some candy from one of the stores on the ship, or crackers or whatever and put it in your bag.

they will let you take that off, thats what my mom did, and where ever you go there should be places to get stuff.

momofmeg... Thanks so much. That's what I was looking for - someone's actual experience and what they did. I'm not sure if I can do the ice cream. I might try one night and test a bit later and see what happens. Don't think I'll do it every night though. The coffee idea is good. Maybe a cappuccino 2 or 3 times during the week!

I guess I'll be ok. I'll try to find pre-packaged snacks to take off the ship for excursions. I think you're right about the extra walking doing wonders for the blood sugar control! Hubby and I plan to use the gym and to walk around the promenade a few times. Thanks again!

momofmeg... Thanks so much. That's what I was looking for - someone's actual experience and what they did. I'm not sure if I can do the ice cream. I might try one night and test a bit later and see what happens. Don't think I'll do it every night though. The coffee idea is good. Maybe a cappuccino 2 or 3 times during the week!

I guess I'll be ok. I'll try to find pre-packaged snacks to take off the ship for excursions. I think you're right about the extra walking doing wonders for the blood sugar control! Hubby and I plan to use the gym and to walk around the promenade a few times. Thanks again!

Do you test several times a day? if you do you will soon know how food effects you. You know, you are allowed some sugar-you just need to keep up with what you have.

As you probally know, an order of french fries or a snack sized bag of potato chips, even a pack of crackers, will run your blood sugar up higher then a scoop of ice cream. So will a fruit like pineapple which is very high in sugar.

Ice cream is actually one of the better snacks for you-much better then cookies or candy, unless as the previous post mentioned, you eat a piece of candy becuase your blood sugar is getting too low.

Now your blood sugar dropping too low would depend on what meds you are taking. Insulin can lower your blood sugar too much and some oral meds can also-but many meds only help your body get insulin out of fat cells and do not cause your body to make insulin-those meds that only take insulin out of your fat cells will not lower your blood sugar too much-so you don't have the danger of insulin shock.

I guess you really need to talk to your doctor to find that out. (a dietician could tell you too and help you know what you can eat) I would think since you were recently diagnoised though-your body still makes insulin-if that is true-you probally are not on a med that will cause your blood sugar to drop too low and need not carry candy.

My DH is also a diabetic and we bring with us snacks that are packaged from home and pack them in our lugguge. We also bring small plastic bottles of OJ just incase blood sugar gets too low. We refill them with juice in the morning at breakfest if needed for a day off the ship and never had a problem. Hope this helps a little.

As another poster stated, you can't take fruit and sandwiches off the ship. While not diabetic - I travel with children. I take a box of Cherrios in my backpack when we go off the ship. It's prepackaged and oK to take off.

Do you test several times a day? if you do you will soon know how food effects you. You know, you are allowed some sugar-you just need to keep up with what you have.

As you probally know, an order of french fries or a snack sized bag of potato chips, even a pack of crackers, will run your blood sugar up higher then a scoop of ice cream. So will a fruit like pineapple which is very high in sugar.

Ice cream is actually one of the better snacks for you-much better then cookies or candy, unless as the previous post mentioned, you eat a piece of candy becuase your blood sugar is getting too low.

Now your blood sugar dropping too low would depend on what meds you are taking. Insulin can lower your blood sugar too much and some oral meds can also-but many meds only help your body get insulin out of fat cells and do not cause your body to make insulin-those meds that only take insulin out of your fat cells will not lower your blood sugar too much-so you don't have the danger of insulin shock.

I guess you really need to talk to your doctor to find that out. (a dietician could tell you too and help you know what you can eat) I would think since you were recently diagnoised though-your body still makes insulin-if that is true-you probally are not on a med that will cause your blood sugar to drop too low and need not carry candy.

Oh, I have very good control. A1c of 6.0 for my most recent test. I was diagnosed 4 yrs ago, so this isn't something new to me at all. I really wasn't here trying to find out how to manage diabetes, just to get tips on what people with diabetes order to eat on a cruise, and what they do about the situation of taking snacks ashore. I haven't been on a cruise since 1999, so this is my first cruise as a diabetic. Sorry I wasn't clear!! My fault!! The mention of not being sure if I could do the ice cream thing is because I haven't given ice cream a try to see how it affects me. But I will since you mentioned it. Things affect each of us differently though. We'll see. Thanks for offering to help though.

Just a suggestion and I'm sure it's one you have already thought about. But do some testing with things before you get on the ship. You would hate to try something new while onboard and it back fire on you.

Please call the cruise line and let them know what is going on.

While you don't have to do this, I would recommend the following for you.

Take a copy of the medical form that the cruise line is going to request that you send into them. On the first day before dinner go down and introduce yourself to the Matri'D. Show that paper to the him or her. Just in case there was a problem between the land people and the ship people. He or she will go over the menu you with you for the first night. That way you know before dinner that things have been taken care of. After that each night your waiter will bring you the next nights menu for you to pick from. He or she should be able to answer any of your sauce question, if not those are answer he or she can get you before hand.

As for snacks, I carry with me peanut butter crackers. I'm not a big eater (of course you wouldn't think it by looking at me), but when I get hungry, I get hungry! So I have learned to carry little things like that.

Just a suggestion and I'm sure it's one you have already thought about. But do some testing with things before you get on the ship. You would hate to try something new while onboard and it back fire on you.

Please call the cruise line and let them know what is going on.

While you don't have to do this, I would recommend the following for you.

Take a copy of the medical form that the cruise line is going to request that you send into them. On the first day before dinner go down and introduce yourself to the Matri'D. Show that paper to the him or her. Just in case there was a problem between the land people and the ship people. He or she will go over the menu you with you for the first night. That way you know before dinner that things have been taken care of. After that each night your waiter will bring you the next nights menu for you to pick from. He or she should be able to answer any of your sauce question, if not those are answer he or she can get you before hand.

As for snacks, I carry with me peanut butter crackers. I'm not a big eater (of course you wouldn't think it by looking at me), but when I get hungry, I get hungry! So I have learned to carry little things like that.

Good suggestions, Amlee. Thank you. And thanks to others who have posted here also!! I think it will go fine now that I have some ideas!

I too was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about four years ago and have found that by avoiding the pastas, potatoes, rice and breads my numbers are better on a cruise than at home. I just order from the menu and fortunately love fish, so it is usually my first choice. But I tell the waiter to leave off the "baddies" and double up on the veggies and need not go to the trouble of meeting with the maitre 'd or ordering from a special menu. I have berries for dessert.

It is due in part to the exercise I get. On sea days I go to the gym. And on shore days I do as much walking as possible. I have a fondness for aft cabins and if we are lucky enough to grab one then that too becomes part of my exercise routine. On our last cruise it took me 7 minutes to walk the halls and stairs to the gym. Add that to my treadmill workout and the need to be all over the ship and I feel better all over.

I am in my 60's and will work on my diet the rest of my life....I wanna cruise forever!

Oh, I have very good control. A1c of 6.0 for my most recent test. I was diagnosed 4 yrs ago, so this isn't something new to me at all. I really wasn't here trying to find out how to manage diabetes, just to get tips on what people with diabetes order to eat on a cruise, and what they do about the situation of taking snacks ashore. I haven't been on a cruise since 1999, so this is my first cruise as a diabetic. Sorry I wasn't clear!! My fault!! The mention of not being sure if I could do the ice cream thing is because I haven't given ice cream a try to see how it affects me. But I will since you mentioned it. Things affect each of us differently though. We'll see. Thanks for offering to help though.

You should have no problem then. You know how you eat in a restuarant-you do the same on ship, pretty much. Except as I already said, with all the walking you will find you can have a little treat occasionially.

One thing I appreciate also about the cruiselines-especially a rich dessert-they bring you only a TINY piece. The tirmasui, which I would never order normally in a restuarant at home-because the slice is big enough for 5 people and just too much temptation-you get a piece that is around one fifth the size you would get at Olive Garden.

Every line I have been on offers some type of sugar free choice. I don't like to order them-because no one knows what type of sweetener is used. I can't tolerate many of the alcohol based sweeteners-sucralose is the only one. I have had some bad reactions-my stomach is badly torn up-as that stuff goes straight through me -and yes this has even happened to me on a cruise ship-so I STAY AWAY from "sugar free".

You know, you MUST have good self control with your A1C-my readings are also around 6, usually 5.9 or 5.8. We both know with those readings it is more about self control then anything else and not listening to a well meaning friend who says a little bite of this or that will not hurt you. We KNOW what will hurt us.

One thing too, though many feel crusing is all about eating and making pigs of themselves-there are many activities offered besides eating-you can keep busy with activities instead! I love crusing! and staying away from the food has never been a problem for me!

I too was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about four years ago and have found that by avoiding the pastas, potatoes, rice and breads my numbers are better on a cruise than at home. I just order from the menu and fortunately love fish, so it is usually my first choice. But I tell the waiter to leave off the "baddies" and double up on the veggies and need not go to the trouble of meeting with the maitre 'd or ordering from a special menu. I have berries for dessert.

It is due in part to the exercise I get. On sea days I go to the gym. And on shore days I do as much walking as possible. I have a fondness for aft cabins and if we are lucky enough to grab one then that too becomes part of my exercise routine. On our last cruise it took me 7 minutes to walk the halls and stairs to the gym. Add that to my treadmill workout and the need to be all over the ship and I feel better all over.

I am in my 60's and will work on my diet the rest of my life....I wanna cruise forever!

Ihave found my waitera are very acomomodating also. they always do things like fix me a gree salad evenif it is not offered and brign me steam veggies to make up for the fact I eat no potatoes or rice. the pasta I will eat a small amount-but I have always like a little pasta with a lot of sause.

If you are like me, you hav ehad diabetes long enough that you can taste when there is too much sugar in a sause-if that happens-I have had the waiter bring me a steak-they are VERY good about those things-the dinner waiters.

I have found the lunchen waiters are not always as accomodating, lines like Princess, Celebrity and HAL, they will. Not so much Carnival and RCI. Maybe because those lines do not attract as many older people so less with diet restrictions? but as I said in a previous post, I can just go to the lido and get myself a chef's salad on those lines.

Thanks for the responses. I think my mind is at ease now. I'll just be one of those demanding diners and get exactly what I want. I guess that's what we have to do, isn't it? As far as snacks taken ashore for the day, I'll bring pre-packaged things from home. I hate to do that since food on the ship is free, but if I can't take some cheese and fruit, or something similar, off the ship, then I'll have to substitute with pre-packaged things. I can't trust that any pre-packaged snacks I would find aboard would be low enough in carbs for me, so I'll have to bring them. Oh well. We do what we have to. I do plan on lots of walking and visits to the gym, so as you said momofmeg, I might be able to afford some treats here and there. Thanks again!! :D

Here are a few things that work for me. Skip any cream style soup or anything that has thick pasta. Ask for an extra helping of vegetables in place of the startch. Avoid the breads. Know that you can almost always order a bowl of mixed berries for either a starter or dessert at any meal. Skip the sugar free stuff. It raises blood sugar just as high as the real thing. Request salad dressings on the side. Pizza works well if you pull off the toppings to eat and discard most of the crust. Have your stewart bring some fruit to your room for night time lows or to carry you over until breakfast. Pick up a small box of breakfast cereal to take ashore in case you run low. I also carry glucose tablets stored in those little ziplock bead bags from the craft store.

I have had type I for many, many years. It's so much easier to maintain control on a cruise than taking land based vacations where you never know what, when and where your next meal will be. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the responses. I think my mind is at ease now. I'll just be one of those demanding diners and get exactly what I want. I guess that's what we have to do, isn't it? As far as snacks taken ashore for the day, I'll bring pre-packaged things from home. I hate to do that since food on the ship is free, but if I can't take some cheese and fruit, or something similar, off the ship, then I'll have to substitute with pre-packaged things. I can't trust that any pre-packaged snacks I would find aboard would be low enough in carbs for me, so I'll have to bring them. Oh well. We do what we have to. I do plan on lots of walking and visits to the gym, so as you said momofmeg, I might be able to afford some treats here and there. Thanks again!! :D

Your dinner waiters don't mind-they know you willtip them and they want to please you-and right away they know enough to realize you have diet restrctions.

One thing too, as another post mentioned-the portions are small at dinner-it is not like eating a meal at TGI FRidays or Olive Garden.

Celebrity has a spa area with a self serve cafeteria type stand-with GREAT choices-so if you go on that line-check out that area. You will love it.

I love to take with me those fruit and nut bars when I go off ship on excursions. I buy the quaker brand-but there are other brands. Since they are prepackaged-you are allowed to take them off ship- the no-no is opened food or a piece of fruit.

I do not have to worry about my blood sugar dropping too low-as I am not on that kind of med-but if I get hungry that is just a better choice then a hamburger and frenchfries and that will tide me over until I get back on ship.

My husband is diabetic, but the insulin-dependent type. Prepackaged snacks are a must always. Granola bars are easiest in this scenario but I expect we'll have a stash of fun-size Snickers in the cabin.

depending on your ports, it's a simple matter to find a snack that you recognize.

Just like at a restaurant, he orders what he believes he will enjoy, heavy on the salads and veggies, and steers away from the saucy, cheesy, starchy.

Here are a few things that work for me. Skip any cream style soup or anything that has thick pasta. Ask for an extra helping of vegetables in place of the startch. Avoid the breads. Know that you can almost always order a bowl of mixed berries for either a starter or dessert at any meal. Skip the sugar free stuff. It raises blood sugar just as high as the real thing. Request salad dressings on the side. Pizza works well if you pull off the toppings to eat and discard most of the crust. Have your stewart bring some fruit to your room for night time lows or to carry you over until breakfast. Pick up a small box of breakfast cereal to take ashore in case you run low. I also carry glucose tablets stored in those little ziplock bead bags from the craft store.

I have had type I for many, many years. It's so much easier to maintain control on a cruise than taking land based vacations where you never know what, when and where your next meal will be. Enjoy your cruise!

Excellent suggestions I can really use! Thank you so much!! :D

My husband is diabetic, but the insulin-dependent type. Prepackaged snacks are a must always. Granola bars are easiest in this scenario but I expect we'll have a stash of fun-size Snickers in the cabin.

depending on your ports, it's a simple matter to find a snack that you recognize.

Just like at a restaurant, he orders what he believes he will enjoy, heavy on the salads and veggies, and steers away from the saucy, cheesy, starchy.

Good suggestions, too. Thank you. I'm type 2 insulin-dependent also. I only take 8 units of Lantus/day, but it's still insulin.

You can order a diabetic menu BEFORE you go. Either select the diabetic option online when you fill out the check in forms, or call them, and let them know you want a special menu. They are happy to accomodate, but you must notify them in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had a problem taking food off ship. We take gallon and sandwich baggies in our luggage. We fill them with food we've ordered from room service or have carried, on plates, from the buffets to our room. We take sandwiches, pizza, fruits, and bottled water. We've cruised the Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska & Hawaii on Carnival, Princess, Royal Carib and NCL. In my experience they're more strict with bringing food on ship than taking it off. My husband carries a backpack and I carry a shoulder bag and we've never been searched leaving ship.

Isn't diabetes a b****? I have Type 2 also. Sigh. Have a great cruise!:D

I have type 2 diabetes. Usually carry a choc bar in my bag when I go on excursions/sightseeing just in case.

I just order off the regular menu and eat what I should from the plate. Desserts I just order the sugar free stuff as I am lucky and have a stomach that is coated in iron!!!

On our last cruise, the waiter noticed I always had sugar free ice-cream and suggested other desserts that where sugar free as well. I thought that was a nice touch.

Always have breakfast at aqua spa (Celebrity) as it is healthy and I can cut myself some leeway the rest of the day.

Hope this helps. I am not on insulin, only take 500mg metformin twice a day.

Archived