If you could pick ANY RCCL ship....

We enjoy the Voyager class ships, but our favorite , by far, is the Serenade of the Seas. The Radiance class ships are beautiful. The focus is on the ocean and the views are great from just about anywhere on board. We really like the Southern Caribbean itinerary the Serenade sails on. Our first trip on the Serenade was this past January and we booked her again for next year while we were still on board.

We were very impressed by the crew and the condition of the ship. It was our favorite cruise to date.

Eric

:cool: Ship is not too big--not too small. Has Chops, Portofino's, conciere lounge. Beautiful Ship. Get balcony and enjoy it:cool:

We had a Grand Suite last time and one reserved again for next time. :cool:

OK so my big 40 is this year (in December) and I know I want to go on a cruise and I know it will be RCCL. I am not hung up on itinary because I have been to Mexico and Caribbean locations before and always enjoy myself no matter what.

SO with that said if you had to pick a cruise based on SHIP

Which would you choose?

Please include comments regarding newer ships like the Independence. Should I pick that simply because it is a new ship? Do I wait for the kinks to work out?

I would want to go the the new Genesis class ships!!:D

I am going to be the odd vote here. I would say do nothing less than a Voyager class but prefer the Freedom class. We have been on the Jewel so I can compare. I felt crampt on Jewel because it seemed to be more inclosed than the other two ships. The pool areas are much larger and more spred out. Yes there are more people but you do not feel overcrouded. There are also more activities to do during the at sea days. I think the one thing that we like most was the fact there are more places to go on the larger ships. So, my vote, take a larger ship and you will see a difference. HAPPY BIG 4 0!

Since you have been to the Caribbean already why not try something different and go to Alaska on one of the Radiance class ships. I loved the Serenade. I thought it was such a beautiful ship with all the glass and glass elevators that you would be able to see all the scenery in Alaska. Breathtaking from what I hear.

With all these glowing reviews about Radiance class ships - I'm beginning to regret my "floating city at sea" choice of Freedom class (Liberty)!

I think I would pick - if travelling with kids - a Voyager class or above (activities)

If I were going to Alaska or Hawaii - Radiance class (glass/views).

All others I would pick (personally) based on itinerary and then find the newest ship with the itinerary we liked. That's how we ended up on Liberty's West. Carib. for this Nov.!

Good luck - and happy 4 - 0 !

I am going to be the odd vote here. I would say do nothing less than a Voyager class but prefer the Freedom class. We have been on the Jewel so I can compare. I felt crampt on Jewel because it seemed to be more inclosed than the other two ships. The pool areas are much larger and more spred out. Yes there are more people but you do not feel overcrouded. There are also more activities to do during the at sea days. I think the one thing that we like most was the fact there are more places to go on the larger ships. So, my vote, take a larger ship and you will see a difference. HAPPY BIG 4 0!

There are many things to make a Voyager or Freedom class ship a joy to sail on, but my biggest complaint about their design is that very enclosed feeling that you get when you are inside the ship, cut off from any views of the outside. It is not without reason that many folks compare the Royal Promenade to a suburban shopping mall. :rolleyes: Those ships are specifically designed to draw you deep inside and even the concierge lounge is an inside room with none of the outstanding views available in the CLs on Vision (Enchantment, Legend and Splendour) ships or any of the Radiance class ships. One of the advantages for Diamond and Diamond Plus members on Freedom class vessels is that they can access the Diamond Club with its spectacular views from Deck 14 instead of the windowless concierge lounge a few decks lower.:rolleyes:

The fact that Freedom and Voyager class ships do not have a retractable roof over their solariums is definitely a negative factor, as most reviews of the Explorer's cruises out of Bayonne during the winter can attest to.:o

There is much to be said for the extra size of those ships and the additional features that they offer, but with that size come the problems of the distance one must travel to get from one area in the ship to another. People with mobility problems may not feel as sanguine about those distances as others do.

I have never felt especially crowded on Freedom, Voyager or Radiance class ships because the traffic patterns and the activity schedules do a very good job of spreading the passengers throughout the ship and you rarely realize just how many other passengers are sailing with you. In fact, until we were in Labadee, when we sailed on Freedom, I never really thought about how many people were onboard with us.:D

I am really enjoying this thread. It is very interesting to see people's perspectives and reasoning for preferring one class over another. I have to admit it is tough to decide on one ship. All of the reasons I have seen stated so far are valid. I also like the civility and respect shown for differing opinions. Keep the posts coming! :)

The Serenade gets my vote. We were on her for an outstanding 10 day southern Caribbean sailing in the spring of '06. Our 30th anniversary is coming up in the fall of 2009, and we're looking to do something special to celebrate it. As soon as RCCL opens the itineraries for booking, we'll be making reservations to do a full transit of the Panama Canal on the Serenade or Radiance.

It would seem Serenade and Radiance provide the most options for variety in a cruise. Depending on the time of year that you're willing and able to embark, you could sail itineraries that would take you to: the Caribbean, Alaska, Hawaii, South America and full transits through the Panama Canal.

Whatever your ultimate decision turns out to be, have a happy 4-Oh! and a most excellent cruise :D

Jack

So, when I first read the post, I thought, of my big TWO cruises so far, while I enjoyed the Mariner, I loved the Jewel - but I don't have a lot to compare with. Glad to know we started with a favorite.

It's a beautiful ship and just the right size.

There are many things to make a Voyager or Freedom class ship a joy to sail on, but my biggest complaint about their design is that very enclosed feeling that you get when you are inside the ship, cut off from any views of the outside. It is not without reason that many folks compare the Royal Promenade to a suburban shopping mall. :rolleyes: Those ships are specifically designed to draw you deep inside and even the concierge lounge is an inside room with none of the outstanding views available in the CLs on Vision (Enchantment, Legend and Splendour) ships or any of the Radiance class ships. One of the advantages for Diamond and Diamond Plus members on Freedom class vessels is that they can access the Diamond Club with its spectacular views from Deck 14 instead of the windowless concierge lounge a few decks lower.:rolleyes:

The fact that Freedom and Voyager class ships do not have a retractable roof over their solariums is definitely a negative factor, as most reviews of the Explorer's cruises out of Bayonne during the winter can attest to.:o

There is much to be said for the extra size of those ships and the additional features that they offer, but with that size come the problems of the distance one must travel to get from one area in the ship to another. People with mobility problems may not feel as sanguine about those distances as others do.

I have never felt especially crowded on Freedom, Voyager or Radiance class ships because the traffic patterns and the activity schedules do a very good job of spreading the passengers throughout the ship and you rarely realize just how many other passengers are sailing with you. In fact, until we were in Labadee, when we sailed on Freedom, I never really thought about how many people were onboard with us.:D

I'll be on my first Voyager-class ships this year: Adventure in a week and a half, and Explorer in October. While I don't use the pools, I do like seeing outside from inside the ship. I hope I don't regret choosing AOS out of San Juan instead of Serenade.

I would love to be on your Transatlantic crossing on the Jewel in September! I hope the Jewel will have the same TA itinerary for 2009, because I hope to book it. :)

OK so my big 40 is this year (in December) and I know I want to go on a cruise and I know it will be RCCL. I am not hung up on itinary because I have been to Mexico and Caribbean locations before and always enjoy myself no matter what.

SO with that said if you had to pick a cruise based on SHIP

Which would you choose?

Please include comments regarding newer ships like the Independence. Should I pick that simply because it is a new ship? Do I wait for the kinks to work out?

What do you like... small ships, large ships, are you super active, do crowds bother you?

That said... I agree with all the votes on the Radiance Class... beautiful ships and, while not small, in today's world they are smaller than other "classes". However.... I do think the Freedom class offers so much. The ship has venues that are fantastic at night... when it really doesn't matter that you can't see "out" and then during the day the lounges on the top decks are awesome.... and there are so many activities. While all ships have super entertainment there seems to be more choices on the larger ships..... Whatever you decide... the staff and crew really add to the experience.... Have a wonderful Birthday and cruise.

WOW! im so glad i found this board, i have sailed carnival 9 times and i am getting ready to book my first RCI cruise in march 2009, the itinerary im interested is on the SERENADE and i was worried about the ship being smaller the the other ships i was comparing (aos etc) also the fact that it doesnt have the ice rink or the royal promenade BUT reading views here made me more confortable...thanks

does anyone know how it compares in size to the carnivals destiny or liberty? cause as far as decor i know its more beautiful according to the pics....

Serenade - love Radiance class - love the southern Caribbean itinerary!

This is my thoughts as well.

Our first cruise was on a Voyager class - which was nice, but we both preferred the glass and layout of the Radiance class more.

:cool: Ship is not too big--not too small. Has Chops, Portofino's, conciere lounge. Beautiful Ship. Get balcony and enjoy it:cool:

Agreed, We loved Voyager, and will try Navigator next year. We tend to sail when there are the least kids anyway, and with the Solarium, it was never an issue for us.

But I've seen similar threads before and the continued praise of the Radiance class, I think that is what we will do for '09.

I'll be on my first Voyager-class ships this year: Adventure in a week and a half, and Explorer in October. While I don't use the pools, I do like seeing outside from inside the ship. I hope I don't regret choosing AOS out of San Juan instead of Serenade.

I would love to be on your Transatlantic crossing on the Jewel in September! I hope the Jewel will have the same TA itinerary for 2009, because I hope to book it. :)

When the 2009 Transatlantic itineraries come out, book quickly. This itinerary seems to sell out very quickly. Shouldn't be too long before the information is available.:)

I love the Voyager class ships. My favorite was Navigator of the Seas. We loved it so much we are taking out next cruise on another voyager class Explorer of the Seas. The Royal Promenade is wonderful. Its like walking down a street in a town. Shops and pubs and eateries. Makes for easy navigation from the front to the back of the ship. No more walking down long hallways of rooms dodging people.

Don't forget those older ships like the Grandeur and Majesty. They are like old ball parks, once they're gone, they're gone. :(

Haven't tried any of the new bigger RCCL ships yet. Still into the itinerary thing.

Can't decide if big is more or small is more. :eek:

wow, based on these comments, we need to book a radiance class ship!! amoung our cruises, we have sailed vision class three times...loved them and are booked vision class again. highly recommended by us. agree about older ships, booked on the monarch in october. gonna miss the empress, too!

We sailed on Radiance to Alaska last year & it was without a doubt our favorite cruise. The ship was beautiful with enough for adults to do without feeling overwhelmed.

I think if you're taking kids you need a bigger ship though.

We are going on our second Explorer cruise next year because the kids love it and there is so much more for them to do.

When we go alone, it will be Radiance class.

Another vote for any Radiance class ship!

Video of one one of the many spectacular views!

http://travel.webshots.com/video/3041901560080875955nNqAIo

Video of the indoor Solarium...

http://travel.webshots.com/video/3001257290080875955zUrwWA

Video of the Centrum...

http://travel.webshots.com/video/3033423570080875955AZvNMT

View of the wonderful balconies!

2368691160080875955S500x500Q85.jpg

BILL

I sailed on Brilliance last year in April and Navigator in December. I thought the Brilliance was more like a smaller luxurious cruise liner. The Navigator is more like a very nice large mass market cruise liner. The public restrooms were all marble and granite and glass. The locker, sauna, steam room at the spa were luxurious compared to feeling somewhat industrial on the Navigator. The theater seating is nicer on Brilliance. All of that being said the Navigator is a beautiful ship. I am taking the Navigator on a transatlantic next month and am looking forward to a great cruise.

Joe

Archived