Final payment wanted 5 months in advance!!

Tintown

Our travel agent has told us that we need to make our final payment on two b2b cruises by 15 March. We don't sait until 30 August. That's just over 5 months prior to sailing. We live in New Zealand, so you think that this is the reason. We paid NZ$2400 deposit about October last year, and the final payment is another $30,165. It's a lot of money to have to pay 5 months in advance. What do you all think?

I am interested in whether you have been back to TA after the last couple of days and asked why 5 months?

Have you been given a reason?

Being a kiwi I amalso interested in what Travel chain you are dealing with?

Please update us as to how you are getting on

Hi everyone,

Well, I emailed the TA questioning the date and her reply stated that it was always March. I discussed it with my DH and he said that he was not prepared to pay it so early, but if forced to that he would only pay it directly to the Cruiseline on receipt of an immediate acknowledgement from them, in writing, that they had received final payment on the two cruises. So I went back to the TA and told them that. She has just replied stating that she has managed to push the date back to 20 May, which is three months out. So we are happy with that. Without all your comments I probably would have just gone along with it - so thanks everyone, you all gave me the confidence! :)

She has just replied stating that she has managed to push the date back to 20 May, which is three months out. So we are happy with that. Without all your comments I probably would have just gone along with it - so thanks everyone, you all gave me the confidence! :)

It is amazing what "she" can do when pushed. :rolleyes:

"She" managed to push the date back? That was nice of "her". :cool:

Thanks for getting back.

Glad it worked out. :)

I would still insist that the payment be made directly to Princess. There have been too many instances, including my own, where the agency did not forward payment and cabin reservations were cancelled even though payment was made to the TA.

Once you make payment, please call Princess directly to confirm payment has been made.

Hi everyone,

Well, I emailed the TA questioning the date and her reply stated that it was always March. I discussed it with my DH and he said that he was not prepared to pay it so early, but if forced to that he would only pay it directly to the Cruiseline on receipt of an immediate acknowledgement from them, in writing, that they had received final payment on the two cruises. So I went back to the TA and told them that. She has just replied stating that she has managed to push the date back to 20 May, which is three months out. So we are happy with that. Without all your comments I probably would have just gone along with it - so thanks everyone, you all gave me the confidence! :)

I'd find a new TA for my next cruise. This one tried to scam you and is lying through their teeth. Ordinarily, I will defend TAs because I know they work very hard for relatively little return but this was an obvious fish tale. I'd still call Princess and find out when their final date is. They can answer general questions that aren't related to a specific booking.

Couldn't the TA wanted final payment early in the event the cruise price dropped, the TA could have created an excuse not to refund or credit any of the discounted price? Just a guess, I have no idea.

Hi everyone,

Sorry, but you are satisfied with too little. This person is asking for something in a blatant, dishonest way and you are still going to trust her with your money??? When you paid your deposit, did the charge in your CC appear to go to Princess or to your TA?? If it went to your TA I would request a refund of my deposit and book with another company. I think it is misguided to send all this money to this TA , be it 5 months or 3 months before the cruise !!

"she has managed to push the date back to 20 May . . . "

"She" did no such thing. A T.A. has no access nor authority to "push back" a Final Payment date. It is one set date by the cruise company and Never changes once your sailing is set.

When I booked with an Aussie T.A., she asked for F.P. about a week early & I gave it to her before that date. I never told her I knew otherwise, just not worth arguing about; howeverl, 2 months is a big difference.

Often, when it is a Group booking (you can tell by the 3-letter code on confirmation) the T.A. will try to accumulate everything early in case she gets busy or held up. Better too early than too late. You may not even know that you are booked into a consortium's group (just by the amenities and/or rate).

Good for you for standing up & saying something. Pam is right. Fire her A$$ after this cruise! She is not honest.

Hi Tintown!

I just checked the Princess site here in Canada and using a conversion factor of 1 NZ at .78 Canadian you are paying about 500.00 more per person than the brochure price. Brochure price in $Canadian for both cruises, fuel surcharge and port fees, is $8141.00 or NZ $10,257.00 This is for a mini...I don't know the category but I do think you should do a little research with either Princess direct or another TA. The whole deal seems fishy, starting with the cost and requesting final payment so soon. It can't hurt to investigate...may cost a few phone calls but could be well worth it to you!

I have never paid brochure price...even for my first cruise so I would encourage some further investigation so that you are not getting taken.

Laurel (CanadacruiseRN)

Hi everyone,

Smart husband... smart move.. You called the TA's (and his firm's) bluff. It is now obvious they were looking for your money as float for their business. When they couldn't get it deposited with them, then guess what..... they were able to amazingly "move" your final payment date. How convenient.

Good for you sticking to your guns......;) :)

As said above it looks like your paying a bit more than the brochure prices, which are as high as they get.

You should call Princess direct and just price out this cruise and the air with them to see if it is too much. You don't have to tell the rep that you already have this booked as they well refer you back to your agent.

We were not pleased with a TA we had a few years ago and Princess advised that we can change TA's simply by faxing Princess a letter asking them to take the booking back from the TA that we were using. It took about 48 hours to complete the switch. Everything stayed the same, they didn't have to cancel the booking and start over.

Eventually we found the TA that we use now and she took over the existing booking from Princess. I know it sounds like a lot of trouble, but it saved us about $700. on a 14 day cruise.

Worth the research in my opinion.

As a TA I have to agree with some of the other posts.....the fact that she could "push it back" til May is a huge red flag. If you can change TA's I would, if not, I would tell her your credit card is to be charged by no one other than the cruiseline...send the letter in writing so you will have recourse with your bank if need be,. None of this is adding up. Thank-you for keeping us up to date! Good Luck!

Things are different in UK.

If you use a TA the deposit and final payment are made to them, either in a form of electronic payment (credit cards for which there is frequently a surcharge or debit card) or in cash.

Most if not all legitimate TA's are bonded so the payment is safe if the TA goes belly up. It does however take a while to get your money back (a month or so)

The bonding also applies to main line tour companies, cruise lines, airlines etc.

Personally I use my bank as a TA they get you the lowest possible deal and knock 10% off the top, and also get you in exec lounges for free at airports!

[quote name='britsbest']Things are different in UK.

If you use a TA the deposit and final payment are made to them, either in a form of electronic payment (credit cards for which there is frequently a surcharge or debit card) or in cash.

Most if not all legitimate TA's are bonded so the payment is safe if the TA goes belly up. It does however take a while to get your money back (a month or so)

The bonding also applies to main line tour companies, cruise lines, airlines etc.

Personally I use my bank as a TA they get you the lowest possible deal and knock 10% off the top, and also get you in exec lounges for free at airports![/quote]

Wow! Thanks for the info...you learn something new everyday!

[quote name='Tintown']Hi everyone,
Well, I emailed the TA questioning the date and her reply stated that it was always March. I discussed it with my DH and he said that he was not prepared to pay it so early, but if forced to that he would only pay it directly to the Cruiseline on receipt of an immediate acknowledgement from them, in writing, that they had received final payment on the two cruises. So I went back to the TA and told them that. [COLOR=red][B]She has just replied stating that she has managed to push the date back to 20 May[/B][/COLOR], which is three months out. So we are happy with that. Without all your comments I probably would have just gone along with it - so thanks everyone, you all gave me the confidence! :)[/quote]

......"she has managed to push the date back"...........equals...........ya caught me....;)

Archived