Final payment wanted 5 months in advance!!

Tintown

Our travel agent has told us that we need to make our final payment on two b2b cruises by 15 March. We don't sait until 30 August. That's just over 5 months prior to sailing. We live in New Zealand, so you think that this is the reason. We paid NZ$2400 deposit about October last year, and the final payment is another $30,165. It's a lot of money to have to pay 5 months in advance. What do you all think?

Our travel agent has told us that we need to make our final payment on two b2b cruises by 15 March. We don't sait until 30 August. That's just over 5 months prior to sailing. We live in New Zealand, so you think that this is the reason. We paid NZ$2400 deposit about October last year, and the final payment is another $30,165. It's a lot of money to have to pay 5 months in advance. What do you all think?

they must be some cruises

Given the final amount you are paying the initial deposit seems Light

I think it sounds like a travel agency that is having a cash flow problem and they want you to help them out for five months........;)

I also think this is a big warning sign and you need to see if you can send the 30,165 to the cruise line direct........too many horror stories of companies going out of business and leaving clients holding an empty bag......;)

On all the cruises we have booked at the present time we were given an email verification and a print out of conditions rgarding final payment and cancelation.

On our Pacific Dawn 9 night cruise in August or final payment is due in June.

We were told this right at the outset of booking. ---as with our Carnival(x2 and Princes X1 cruises April- May 2009) these are all cruises 7 nights and less

I think for longer cruises the payment has to be paid much further in advance.

Yours sounds like quite big cruises so you can undrestand if people don't make final payments more expensive cruises will be harder to sell.

Our cruises are not that long. They are both 12 days, but there are three of us in a minisuite, so I guess that's were the expense comes in. I don't think I can pay Princess direct, because when I rang them, as was suggested, they said that I had to deal with the TA not them. The said final dates are really up to the TA, but that Princess normally asks for 90 days. Either the TA just wants the interest for that period, or as was suggested, they may have money troubles. You know I hadn't even thought of that. You have me worried now about the security of the TA. It is a well known chain through NZ, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it is secure - scary.

Our cruises are not that long. They are both 12 days, but there are three of us in a minisuite, so I guess that's were the expense comes in. I don't think I can pay Princess direct, because when I rang them, as was suggested, they said that I had to deal with the TA not them. The said final dates are really up to the TA, but that Princess normally asks for 90 days. Either the TA just wants the interest for that period, or as was suggested, they may have money troubles. You know I hadn't even thought of that. You have me worried now about the security of the TA. It is a well known chain through NZ, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it is secure - scary.

I agree with the other posters.... this is not a matter of them getting some interest on your money.... it is more a problem of a cash flow problem. They need your money to pay their bills now and hope they have the money when it comes time to pay your final payment. This is a big RED FLAG.

The thing I would also ask is how did you pay for your deposit. My TA pays for our deposits / final payments with our provided credit card and it is charge directly to Princess Cruise Line not the ABC Travel Agent. If your agent has you pay them and then they pay the cruise line ..... then that is another potential RED FLAG.

So why does one have to pay in advance? One doesn't do it in a hotel or supermarket or most other things. Why is cruising different? All they do is get interest on OUR money.

when was the last time you bought an plane ticket or an all inclusive resort vacation and did not pay until you arrived at the airport or resort?...or a ticket to a sporting event or concert?

So why does one have to pay in advance? One doesn't do it in a hotel (lots of hotels (or their agents) require non-refundable full payments for the best rate) or supermarket or most other things. Why is cruising different? (hotels and airlines are the same. Car rental agencies, for instance, have a lot of walk-up traffic so they can afford to have no shows. Cruise lines and airlines cannot) All they do is get interest on OUR money.

In the OPs case it is way too far in advance. The TA is playing games with their money, not the cruise line.

The standard 60-90 day final payment date is standard and understandable in that you need to declare your express intent to sail by making the final payment. Otherwise the cruise lines will have a lot of last minute changes of heart (or whatever reasons) when folks will not show up. Then the cruise line has no opportunity to resell the cabin.

Airlines are the same way. To get the good price you need to book and pay early. Arrive or wait to the last minute and you pay the most. ;)

If you have access to a Credit Bureau, you may possibly want to have a Credit Report made on the TA Agency that you are working with ....even if it costs you a few dollars it may be worth it......

Is the Travel Agency a chain or just a small outlet....

Just another thought about your final payment ...we are Canadian and used an Australian TA in the past....the deposit was non refundable.

I would sugggest that you have a full and comprehensive understanding of what happens to your money after final payment is made. Do you have cancellation and trip interruption Insurance .....would your monies be refundable or covered in the event that something happened prior to Embarkation day where you or someone else in your party had to cancel.

As others have mentioned, I believe that you have some checking to do and a lot of questions to ask before you hand over that money.

....and one would be ....What happens to my money in the event that your Agency went out of Business?

If after checking things out...you still have major concerns , then I would go back to Princess and ask for a Supervisor and explain your dilemma and see what options may be available for you.

One other thing you could try.....do you have any friends who possibly may have a contact at some other Travel Agency and could pull you a favor by asking a few questions for you. .... Have you heard anything ? ........What happens if ? What protection does a client have in the event an Agency goes under?

Princess normally asks for final payment 75 days in advance of a 12 day Cruise.....and 90 days for 20/21 days and over......even though you are going on two B2B they are considered as two individual 12 day Cruises.....

Sorry for being so long winded....

Good Luck

Cheers

Bionicbeacher

On all the cruises we have booked at the present time we were given an email verification and a print out of conditions rgarding final payment and cancelation.

On our Pacific Dawn 9 night cruise in August or final payment is due in June.

We were told this right at the outset of booking. ---as with our Carnival(x2 and Princes X1 cruises April- May 2009) these are all cruises 7 nights and less

I think for longer cruises the payment has to be paid much further in advance.

Yours sounds like quite big cruises so you can undrestand if people don't make final payments more expensive cruises will be harder to sell.

She said is was NZ$...so it's not $30,000 US currency if that is what you meant...

She said is was NZ$...so it's not $30,000 US currency if that is what you meant...

That is still a lot of money! The conversion of $30,000 NZ to US dollars this morning is $23,942.1

If Princess requires payment 90 days out on this trip, I'd tell the TA that I will pay 90 days out or I'll get a new TA. And be absolutely positive that your payment is being credited to Princess and not to the agency. Clarify all of this while you have time to change TA's and more importantly, while the money is still in your account and not the TA's.

I would be very leary about this. In fact, this would be a deal breaker for me, if even if the TA adjusted final payment to 70 days. There's something hinky here.

I can't comment on this particular situation, but I do know that passengers coming from the UK and Australia and dealing with TAs in those countries have significantly different deposit, cancellation and final payment policies than those of us in the US have. That might be part of the issue here, but, like others, I urge CAUTION.

I can't speak about the Terms & Conditions for those in Australia or New Zealand, but I can tell you that something is rotten in Denmark.

I hope you shopped around for fares. The prices (even in Australian currency) seems really high - like full brochure rates. :eek: :eek:

Secondly, after you ask the TA why they need your money so far in advance and IF she gives you a reasonable response, then make sure you pay your final payment via credit card.

Ask the TA if the credit card charge will have "Princess Cruises" as the payee or if their travel agency will charge you and then they'll pay Princess. If they pay Princess instead of the charge going directly on your card from the cruise line, I would be even more worried. That would mean the agency is keeping your money and that's not a good practice. How long will they keep it before they make your final payment? Weeks? Months? Will they get interest on it when you could be getting it? Will they pay the cruise line at all? It's just too risky IMO.

Please do let us know what the status is - wishing you all the best! :)

Also, before making final payment make sure your TA checks to insure that the prices have not decreased since you made your deposit. You are entitled to the new lower fare until final payment is made. And if it were me, I would be sitting right there with him/her when he/she made the call on speakerphone

Big Red Flag here - Your deposit invoice should indicate the final payment date a long with the balance due. In general final payment is due 75 to 90 days out. Unless your TA indicated at the time of booking that the final payment would be due at an earlier date and "why" then their request is totally absured. I would use caution with this agent. Either they are using your funds to float their operations or something else is up. Call Princess and find when final payment is due. If it different then the TA I would go back and question this TA. Your safest bet is always use a credit card for final payment especially if you are dealing with a large payment. I how this helps.

Archived