Vancouver to Victoria

grannie cruiser

We are staying in Vancouver for a few days after our Alaskan cruise-tour. What is the best way of going to Victoria for 1 day? Is there a tour that someone would recommend? Princess has a tour--does anyone know anything about it? Is there a way of going on our own? Is it worth going at all? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You could start here:

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/Content/EN/482.asp

THere are several ways of getting to Victoria from Vancouver. One suggestion

would be to take a package day tour by coach. You would travel by ferry

through a very scenic group of islands and then see the sights - Butchart Gardens,

Inner Harbour, scenic drive, etc. before retruning on the ferry to Vancouver.

There are also packages to stay over for a night, etc.

The main Tourism Victoria website has a wealth of information to help plan

a trip

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/Content/EN/524.asp

Here is what worked well for us...we took the Vancouver city bus (public transportation) to the ferry....when the ferry docked in Swartz Bay (Vancouver Island) we called Enterprise ("we'll pick you up") and they came and got us. After we signed all the rental papers, we had a rental car so that we could go/see/do what we wanted. We stayed overnight...did Butchart Gardens and some other general sightseeing.

When we were done we went back to Enterprise, they took us back to the ferry...back to Vancouver (mainland) to the city bus to downtown and our hotel.

Worst part was schlepping our bags along with us on the bus, but we have learned to pack lightly, so it was manageable.

Likely you figured out that we had a reservation with Enterprise for the car.

Victoria/Vancouver Island is a wonderful and beautiful place. A little rainy at times, but not-to-be-missed!!!!

(My wife thinks I'm cheap...but she sure likes to travel!!)

Yes, as much as we would like you to spend all of your time in Vancouver, Victoria is definitely a city that you should see. Being a local I have never made this trip by coach but this is one that everyone speaks very high of and Pacific Coach Lines has been around for years. You will see that they have the basic service from Vancouver to Victoria and return plus various tour add ons in Victoria.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

We stayed in Vancouver for 5 days in 2003, and went to Victoria as a day trip. It would be better to stay overnight in Victoria if you have the time. We already had a rental car, so we took the ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, saw what we wanted to see in Victoria, then returned to Vancouver on the evening ferry. We had a reservation for the last ferry of the day, but were ready to go back on the next to last ferry.

We loved Victoria!! We spent two days there including Butchart Gardens which are incredible. Victoria itself is beautiful and I think there's a lot of worthwhile things to do. If you only have one day I would recommend an early start with a Rental Car, catch an early ferry, hit the Gardens (which are more or less on the way to Victoria from the ferry terminal in Swartz Bay), spend the afternoon in Victoria and catch the last ferry back. this should also give you time for dinner.

If you will only be in Victoria for one day, you should consider taking a seaplane over there - I think it only takes about 45 minutes or so. Obviously, it's not as cheap as the bus/ferry, but way faster and allows more time to see Victoria. Last time we took public transportation there it took us about 4 and a half hours, as the bus was held up in traffic and we missed the sailing we had planned on!

Quite right, the quickest way from Vancouver to Victoria is the seaplanes. I hesitate to mention them because it is quite expensive. The last time that I used them for business a few years ago the fare was about $120 pp each way. They depart from Vancouver’s harbour and land right downtown Victoria in the Inner Harbour almost in front of the Empress Hotel. Any of the car rentals will pick you up from your flight and deliver you back just before your flight. Here are the links:

http://westcoastair.com/

http://www.harbour-air.com/

I never recommend Victoria as a day trip. There is too much to see and do there. But I also always take over a car, as the ease of touring is definately superior.

With only one day, I too only recommend the seaplane over.

Archived