Zeebrugge to Bruges. Some options how to get there.

I tried the walking tour link and it is not working. Could you please provide to us? We think the tram/train ride would be a good one for us and we sure appreciate you providing.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Hi Dave

I used that excellent guide to make this

and there is a link to it in the videos's description. All the best, Tony

• 4 weeks later...

We are going on the Queen Elizabeth to Bruges, amsterdam,Oslo, Copenhagen and Gothenburg. We are looking for taxi to Bruges and hope to share if other on cruise want to do the same. How can I find out if others would like to share cost. We cruise on Fri 13 dec.:)

We are going on the Queen Elizabeth to Bruges, amsterdam,Oslo, Copenhagen and Gothenburg. We are looking for taxi to Bruges and hope to share if other on cruise want to do the same. How can I find out if others would like to share cost. We cruise on Fri 13 dec.:)

Go to the Roll Call for your cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=601

pick the ship then click on the sailing you are on then post a message in there

You may find others already looking to share

• 4 weeks later...
Yes you do. You start at Strandwijk and go to Blankenberge Station... .

Hi Squadra03,

Hope you pick this question up - or anyone else that can help! (& Squadra03, I hope you had a great cruise!)

I am confused with the info you advise for getting to Brugge!

It's for arrival in a couple of weeks - so that's the winter shedule. You say take the tram from Kerk - you also say to take it from Strandwijk (which on the map is futher on!) Also, looking at the train timetable, as trains run from Dorp, (is that also known as ZB village?) wouldn't you advise getting off the tram at Vaart and walking to Dorp station?

That seems to be a ten minute walk - and you have a walk at Blankenberg stop to the station - so I was wondering if Dorp would be the better/quicker option??

Many thanks for any help - anyone! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Squadra03,

Hope you pick this question up - or anyone else that can help! (& Squadra03, I hope you had a great cruise!)

I am confused with the info you advise for getting to Brugge!

It's for arrival in a couple of weeks - so that's the winter shedule. You say take the tram from Kerk - you also say to take it from Strandwijk (which on the map is futher on!) Also, looking at the train timetable, as trains run from Dorp, (is that also known as ZB village?) wouldn't you advise getting off the tram at Vaart and walking to Dorp station?

That seems to be a ten minute walk - and you have a walk at Blankenberg stop to the station - so I was wondering if Dorp would be the better/quicker option??

Many thanks for any help - anyone! :)

Hello as far as I know (I have been several time on the port of Zeebrugge visiting cruise ships, but I never was there as a tourist) you take the free shuttle bus from the port authorities to the exit of the harbour zone.

There you go on the "kustlaan" (name of the street) to the right and after 500 metres you will find the tram stop "Zeebrugge Kerk" which means "zeebrugge church". Their you take the coastal tram (I think 2 euros) direction of De Panne (see front of the tram).

Than you will pass:

-zeebrugge Vaart

-zeebrugge strandwijk

- Blankenberge Duinse Polders

- Blankenberge Sea life

- Blankenberge Pier

than you hit the bell once passed Blankenberge Pier

and next stop will be Blankenberge Station.

There you take the train to Bruges...

Our cruise in the Med was fantastic... thanks for asking!

If you would have more questions, don't hesitate to ask them, I will check this topic more often. When will you be in Bruges?

Hi Dave

I used that excellent guide to make this

and there is a link to it in the videos's description. All the best, Tony

The link in the video description no longer works - perhaps he no longer maintains the website?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...
In an earlier post I mentioned a nice walking tour of Bruges that starts at the railroad station. http://www.********.com/Brugge%205.html

What I didn’t tell you was how to go from the cruise terminal in Zeebrugge (meaning Sea Brugge) to the city of Bruges (AKA Brugge), a distance of only about 8.5 miles as the crow flies.

Here are a few options about how to cover that seemingly short distance:

1. Sign up for a cruise ship tour or transport. Our least favorite for this port since it is so easy to see Bruges on your own and all cruise ships charge too much. Oceania, for example, charges $89 per person just to give you a ride on a bus.

2. Take a taxi. There are not too many at the dock if you are on a large ship. So, you should make advanced reservations. One company is “Brugse Taxi Service” email info@brugsetaxiservice.be Attn. Koen Keereman.

He charges 45 euros one way, meets you at the dock and will take you back later in the day for another 45 euros. Let him know in advance how many in your group. He can handle up to eight people for the same price. I am also trying to make contact with another taxi service to see if the price is about right and will post that info later.

3. Take the train.

Before I go any further, let me mention that public transportation in Europe is fast, safe and very economical. Americans are just not used to it and always shy away from taking a bus or train. Too bad. If you want to be a bit braver, consider the following options:

a. From the cruise ship terminal walk to the train station in the little town of Blankenberge. It is a long walk of about 2.5 miles due west along the coastal road “Kustlaan”. From there an eleven minute train ride takes to the starting point of the afore mentioned walking tour in Bruges.

b. If you’d rather not walk that far, take the coastal tram from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge. The tram costs you one euro per person. The train is four euros for seniors and five euros if you are not. So, for six euros or less you can be there and back (round trip).

Here are a few more details and schedules for the summer of 2008:

There is a direct train from Blankenberge to Bruges that leaves at 8:10, then 9:10 etc every hour. If you should miss that by a few minutes you can also take a bus right outside the station. Bus 33 goes to almost the same place and leaves at 8:20 for example. I don’t know if the fare is the same.

The tram from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge goes every ten minutes, so you can time yourselves from that. To catch the tram, walk outside the harbor area, go to the main road (Kustlaan) and turn west. In front of the little beach village of Strandwijk is one of the tram stops. It is a couple hundred yards walk. Ask anyone. Then tell the tram conductor that you want to go to the train station in Blankenberg. He will throw you off at the right place.

You might want to get some euros at an ATM in Blankenberge. There are three banks close near the railroad station. You will find that most people speak enough English to show you where to go. (No pun intended).

To go back the same way I suggest you consult the schedules that are posted at the train station. There is one website, but it is in Dutch, and I don’t want to translate all the instructions here.

http://hari.b-holding.be/Hafas/bin/query.exe/nn?OK#focus

Every cruise ship has its own schedule and everyone is afraid that they will miss it. However, It is quite doable to go back from the station in Bruges to the ship within an hour. When in doubt, you can still take a cab back if you can find one.

Oh, there is one more way to cover the 8.5 miles. You might find a bicycle rental place in Strandwijk and ride along the canal that connects Zeebrugge to Bruges. We have not tried that.

I doubt that you will see this, but I'm trying to find a current link for your Brugge walking tour in .pdf format. The one in this post does not work.

Thank you,

Bill

If you just google Bruges walking tour you should come up with several options

http://bezoekers.preview.brugge.be/en

Thanks for the response and helpful web site for general info. I did the google search previously and was hoping for a better walking tour. The one in the post that I referenced sounded like a good one but it no longer exists at that link. If anyone has it in .pdf I would still appreciate it.

Bill

The link in the video description no longer works - perhaps he no longer maintains the website?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Gayle

I'm afraid it is as you say - he did not renew the domain name :( I have amended the link in my video's description so others in future are not misled. All the best, Tony

• 2 months later...
In an earlier post I mentioned a nice walking tour of Bruges that starts at the railroad station. http://www.********.com/Brugge%205.html

What I didn’t tell you was how to go from the cruise terminal in Zeebrugge (meaning Sea Brugge) to the city of Bruges (AKA Brugge), a distance of only about 8.5 miles as the crow flies.

Here are a few options about how to cover that seemingly short distance:

1. Sign up for a cruise ship tour or transport. Our least favorite for this port since it is so easy to see Bruges on your own and all cruise ships charge too much. Oceania, for example, charges $89 per person just to give you a ride on a bus.

2. Take a taxi. There are not too many at the dock if you are on a large ship. So, you should make advanced reservations. One company is “Brugse Taxi Service” email info@brugsetaxiservice.be Attn. Koen Keereman.

He charges 45 euros one way, meets you at the dock and will take you back later in the day for another 45 euros. Let him know in advance how many in your group. He can handle up to eight people for the same price. I am also trying to make contact with another taxi service to see if the price is about right and will post that info later.

3. Take the train.

Before I go any further, let me mention that public transportation in Europe is fast, safe and very economical. Americans are just not used to it and always shy away from taking a bus or train. Too bad. If you want to be a bit braver, consider the following options:

a. From the cruise ship terminal walk to the train station in the little town of Blankenberge. It is a long walk of about 2.5 miles due west along the coastal road “Kustlaan”. From there an eleven minute train ride takes to the starting point of the afore mentioned walking tour in Bruges.

b. If you’d rather not walk that far, take the coastal tram from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge. The tram costs you one euro per person. The train is four euros for seniors and five euros if you are not. So, for six euros or less you can be there and back (round trip).

Here are a few more details and schedules for the summer of 2008:

There is a direct train from Blankenberge to Bruges that leaves at 8:10, then 9:10 etc every hour. If you should miss that by a few minutes you can also take a bus right outside the station. Bus 33 goes to almost the same place and leaves at 8:20 for example. I don’t know if the fare is the same.

The tram from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge goes every ten minutes, so you can time yourselves from that. To catch the tram, walk outside the harbor area, go to the main road (Kustlaan) and turn west. In front of the little beach village of Strandwijk is one of the tram stops. It is a couple hundred yards walk. Ask anyone. Then tell the tram conductor that you want to go to the train station in Blankenberg. He will throw you off at the right place.

You might want to get some euros at an ATM in Blankenberge. There are three banks close near the railroad station. You will find that most people speak enough English to show you where to go. (No pun intended).

To go back the same way I suggest you consult the schedules that are posted at the train station. There is one website, but it is in Dutch, and I don’t want to translate all the instructions here.

http://hari.b-holding.be/Hafas/bin/query.exe/nn?OK#focus

Every cruise ship has its own schedule and everyone is afraid that they will miss it. However, It is quite doable to go back from the station in Bruges to the ship within an hour. When in doubt, you can still take a cab back if you can find one.

Oh, there is one more way to cover the 8.5 miles. You might find a bicycle rental place in Strandwijk and ride along the canal that connects Zeebrugge to Bruges. We have not tried that.

an old post anyone know if the info has changed much -- ????? Where is the ''aforementioned walking tour ? I have googled for a free walking tour and haven't come up with on yet !! thanks for any info

an old post anyone know if the info has changed much -- ????? Where is the ''aforementioned walking tour ? I have googled for a free walking tour and haven't come up with on yet !! thanks for any info

I do not think his website is working any more nor is the taxi service mentioned

try Taxi Snel

You can probably get something at the tourist office

Bruges is easy to navigate on your own

http://visitbruges.be/location/in-brugge/city-tour-bruges

Edited by LHT28

• 1 month later...

I am on the Eclipse, arriving Sun 22 June.

I will be getting the train unless I can find people to share a taxi which so far I have been unsuccessful. The train website: http://www.belgianrail.be/en

General info: http://shorebee.com/en/belgium/bruges/from-zeebrugge-to-bruges/

It says 10 mins past the hour from Blakenberge, and the return is 36 mins past hour. 6 euro return.

Thanks for the links, we will be there the Sunday after you on the 29th of June. Hopefully, the ship, town will run a transfer to the park near the train station from the docks. Do not believe that the tram runs on Sundays. When we were last there a couple of years past, it was 5 euros for the roundtrip transfer.

We were there last August and arranged an 8 per taxi van through ronystaxis.com. Had no problem finding 6 other people from CC. 50 euros for 8 each way. The van was at the gate when we docked with our name on a placard and then picked us up on time in town at the prearranged spot (in fact, he was 10 minutes early as we were!), Wonderful service and felt this was the best option to maximize our visit with the cost. Hope this helps. Also, we did Rick Steve's walking tour and were able to secure a canal boat before the rest of the cruise passengers got there on shore excursions. Had the town to ourselves until then!

K

Thanks for the links, we will be there the Sunday after you on the 29th of June. Hopefully, the ship, town will run a transfer to the park near the train station from the docks. Do not believe that the tram runs on Sundays. When we were last there a couple of years past, it was 5 euros for the roundtrip transfer.

On the official tram site I typed in my planned route on the Sunday 22nd June and it gave the times-

depart 7u48 arrive 7u56

8u43 8u51

9u13 9u21

9u28 9u36

9u43 9u51

Dienstregeling voor een reis op 22/6/2014 tussen Zeebrugge, Strandwijk en Blankenberge, Station

So maybe the coastal tram runs on Sundays during Summer.

We were there last August and arranged an 8 per taxi van through ronystaxis.com. Had no problem finding 6 other people from CC. 50 euros for 8 each way. The van was at the gate when we docked with our name on a placard and then picked us up on time in town at the prearranged spot (in fact, he was 10 minutes early as we were!), Wonderful service and felt this was the best option to maximize our visit with the cost. Hope this helps. Also, we did Rick Steve's walking tour and were able to secure a canal boat before the rest of the cruise passengers got there on shore excursions. Had the town to ourselves until then!

K

Thank you. I posted a request for cruisers to share the taxi through my connections party which so far has 111 people, but no response. We are at Zebrugges the next day after sailing so will not have the opportunity to meet anyone beforehand.

On the official tram site I typed in my planned route on the Sunday 22nd June and it gave the times-

depart 7u48 arrive 7u56

8u43 8u51

9u13 9u21

9u28 9u36

9u43 9u51

Dienstregeling voor een reis op 22/6/2014 tussen Zeebrugge, Strandwijk en Blankenberge, Station

So maybe the coastal tram runs on Sundays during Summer.

Off course the coastal tram runs ons Sundays and during summer!

The coastal tram is used by many tourists during summer since than you can evite the parking problems and parking fees.

During summer, the coast is off course busy with tourists and is the peak season for the coastal tram!

K

I agree --

We were is Brugge a few weeks ago on the Emerald Princess -- the ships shuttle to the gate was free - it is walkable - but that would be time consuming -- It was well organized --

We too met up with CC people and it was well worth it -- in terms of time wasted and ease of transfer. We used Taxi Snell but there was also Taxi George picking up others -- prompt in both directions ....

there were no independent taxi trolling for fares --

Sometimes time is money -- dont bother shopping around - all taxis charge the same amount !!

azippy

I agree --

We were is Brugge a few weeks ago on the Emerald Princess -- the ships shuttle to the gate was free - it is walkable - but that would be time consuming -- It was well organized --

We too met up with CC people and it was well worth it -- in terms of time wasted and ease of transfer. We used Taxi Snell but there was also Taxi George picking up others -- prompt in both directions ....

there were no independent taxi trolling for fares --

Sometimes time is money -- dont bother shopping around - all taxis charge the same amount !!

azippy

Hi I've booked 2 taxi's with Rony's taxis. I was just wondering if there were long queues to disembark the ship and to board the free shuttle to the gate. our taxi's are booked for 0730. Were there plenty shuttle buses to cope with the rush? Unfortunately we arrive on a Sunday and I've heard that the Cafe's & shops don't open till much later so we will just have to walk around & explore till then. We are also planning on doing the Canal boat ride which doesn't start till 10am.

I would be grateful for your input - Thanks

Lydia

Thanks

Hi I've booked 2 taxi's with Rony's taxis. I was just wondering if there were long queues to disembark the ship and to board the free shuttle to the gate. our taxi's are booked for 0730. Were there plenty shuttle buses to cope with the rush? Unfortunately we arrive on a Sunday and I've heard that the Cafe's & shops don't open till much later so we will just have to walk around & explore till then. We are also planning on doing the Canal boat ride which doesn't start till 10am.

I would be grateful for your input - Thanks

Lydia

Thanks

We had no problem - our taxi was for 9"30 we left the ship just before 9 thinking about a wait - our shuttle was near empty - the trip took <5 mins.

I have no idea of what time the ship tours left - that will impact your departure.

Town is 20 minutes away -- we were there on a holiday and nothing was open at first but by noon the lace and chocolate shops were open. The churches were open - maybe plan on doing that - you are there early -

The canal ride takes you from point A back to point A so think about that when you board - get on line before 10 AM -

tour groups get right on - but there are a few boats going around - we heard of line over an hour long - so you'd rather wait early on ...

you can cover town in an hour on foot - it is small - smaller than Tallin if you have been there --

enjoy

We had no problem - our taxi was for 9"30 we left the ship just before 9 thinking about a wait - our shuttle was near empty - the trip took <5 mins.

I have no idea of what time the ship tours left - that will impact your departure.

Town is 20 minutes away -- we were there on a holiday and nothing was open at first but by noon the lace and chocolate shops were open. The churches were open - maybe plan on doing that - you are there early -

The canal ride takes you from point A back to point A so think about that when you board - get on line before 10 AM -

tour groups get right on - but there are a few boats going around - we heard of line over an hour long - so you'd rather wait early on ...

you can cover town in an hour on foot - it is small - smaller than Tallin if you have been there --

enjoy

Thanks for your reply - appreciate it:)

• 3 months later...

I assume that this thread is still the one to get info regarding getting into brugge. We are on aurora in December this year, Does the shuttle bus drop people off at the port gate or does it go straight to Blankenberg from the ship and not stop. Does anyone know if p&o charge for this bus ? We need to get to the port gate to meet a taxi which is going to take us to Brugge but they say they have to meet us at the port gate! Arghhhh!

A part answer to your question Dave - the P&O Shuttle bus which goes to Blankenberge is free. At least at the moment.

What I don't know is whether it would drop you off at the port gate or not. I am guessing not.

It is my understanding - but only an understanding I hasten to add - that there is a free shuttle provided by the port authority which transports you to the gate as they don't want you wandering through the port itself.

I hope this helps you a bit and brings someone else into the question who may have experience of this port shuttle.

We are taking P&O's free shuttle which drops us off at the railway station, where you can get the train to Bruges - reverse arrangements on way back.

Edited by Scriv