Northern Australian Weather in Our Summer

For those planning future cruises/cruise tours to Queensland, Northern Australia in our summer (northern winter), the Bureau of Meteorology website is:

http://www.bom.gov.au

January, February and March are our hottest and wettest months, with high humidity, eg. Cairns weather averages for March -

30.5 max

22.6 min

459.6 mm rain

15 days rain

There has been widespread minor and major flooding in northern/central Queensland this summer season, as our normal wet season has returned, after years of drought.

There has been widespread minor and major flooding in northern/central Queensland this summer season, as our normal wet season has returned, after years of drought.
The rain has been a real relief, and not just in QLD. My Sydneysider friends were beginning to wonder whether Sydney would become uninhabitable in the longer term.

I just hope that it's not TOO wet when I'm in Sydney in May.

Hi Marion and Barry,

Whats it like FNQ in winter? Is it warm enough to swim? We're thinking of going to Palm Cove for a week and I don't want to go in summer because of the heat and humidity (been there, done that).

Port Douglas had 18inches of rain the other day!! Why doesn't the rain come to us? I am sure Queensland and parts of N.S.W. including Sydney have had more than enough for one summer. We are so desperate for rain. The last big rain we had was in 2 hours on the Thursday before Christmas.

Everytime we get some clouds we all cross our fingers but nothing happens and they just pass over. Surely it is our turn for some wet weather!

Jennie

Hi Marion and Barry,

Whats it like FNQ in winter? Is it warm enough to swim? We're thinking of going to Palm Cove for a week and I don't want to go in summer because of the heat and humidity (been there, done that).

Winter is the time when all the Victorians go up to Port Douglas and Cairns. It is wonderful up there then. We used to go there in the 80's before the Mirage was built and Port Douglas was a sleepy town. We returned there a couple of years ago and received a big shock, it certainly has grown and changed a lot.

Jennie

A week at Palm Cove would be wonderful in winter, as FNQ is at its best then - no heat, no humidity and no stingers. Southerners swim in winter, but the water is a bit cool for us. However, perfect for long walks along the beach and paddling in the water - enjoy!

Archived