HAL's response to my letter re: AYW dining problems

Sundagger

I imagine that we will probably dine in the Lido if we encounter the same or similar difficulties as did the folks we met on the Zaandam.

Do yourself a favor. Before heading straight to the LIDO, take a chance that you might just be able to walk into Open Seating and be seated.

It worked this way for us and might just work for you, too.

Probably not. If you had a Confirmed Late Lower Seating you would probably be in trouble, but since you had confirmed an Upper Level seating you should be fine.

revneal, mybagsarepacked and Jade13 - Thank you for your replies! :)

Although my invoice says Confirmed Late, there is nothing that says Upper or Fixed in writing. :( I'll just hope for the best.

I still don't know why people are so opposed to placing a simple phone call during the day to reserve. :confused:

Some of us wouldn't want to have to set the alarm and get up early just to make that phone call at 8:00 AM.

I post this as an FYI to the topic of "As You Wish Dining":

My husband and I are currently booked on one of HAL's "Grand Voyages" next year (our first). As has been mentioned elsewhere, the "Grand Voyages" still maintain the traditional, fixed seating times, and do not offer the new "As You Wish Dining". (We have a September '09 departure).

I have also learned from the well-travelled passengers on our roll call that, as of now, HAL continues to adhere to the older dress code on these cruises, with "Smart Casual", "Informal", and "Formal" designations. For those of you with the inclination, perhaps booking a segment on one of the "Grand Voyages" might be an option.

I realize my information doesn't address the issues that are a source of concern, but perhaps it's helpful to know that an alternative on HAL does exist?

Some of us wouldn't want to have to set the alarm and get up early just to make that phone call at 8:00 AM.

Here Here Ruth, I totally agree...and to further clarify, some of us will be off the ship on optionals and not have the chance to make a call at all.

Though we have two more cruises on the books with HAL, we may jump to Seaborne or some other high end line that can actually accommodate their clients desires for dining without stress or unhappiness.

On our just-concluded Feb 18 Zaandam cruise, AYWD was implemented the first night. We spoke with several folks who were very unhappy with it. We had early traditional seating (lucky these days, I guess).

Two of our tablemates were doing a Renewal of Vows on the the first formal night. The ROV started at 7:15, and they did not want to be rushed to finish dinner, so they asked the maitre'd if they could dine downstairs in open seating that night. The maitre'd told them "yes", but they would then forfeit their traditional seating spot! They elected to dine in the Lido that night rather than give up their seating reservation.

We met another couple who booked late and were assigned AYWD and they hated it because they could never get through to make a reservation-they were on hold forever several mornings straight, so they gave up and elected to eat in the Lido every night. Who wants to waste time waiting to make a reservation like that every day?

It seems that the concept is very inflexible from what we heard on the Zaandam.

Truly, "As You Wish Dining" is a severely misleading title for this concept, IMO.

We are booked for open seating for our next cruise, and I imagine that we will probably dine in the Lido if we encounter the same or similar difficulties as did the folks we met on the Zaandam.

Firstly, AYWD is what EVERYBODY gets on ships where it has been implemented. What that other couple that couldn't get through to make a reservation had was Open Seating.

Secondly, one doesn't have to have a Reservation in order to eat in the Open Seating section of AYWD. Just show up. If you're lucky you'll not have to wait to be seated. If you're not, you might have to wait a few minutes. In my opinion, either would be preferable to the Lido.

Thirdly, since you have Open Seating on your next cruise try to make your reservation. If you can't get through, then just show up when you want to eat. You won't be able to get the same table you want, or the same stewards, but you should be ok.

That's true, hammy.

On our recent cruise, we were allowed to make reservations at 5:30 or 5:45; and then at 8 and 8:15, I believe...we dine early so I'm not absolutely certain about the latter hours. We made ours for 5:45 each night at the same table for two, and it worked like a charm.

I still don't know why people are so opposed to placing a simple phone call during the day to reserve. It was certainly not a bother. :confused:

By dining at the same table at the same time every night you are not really doing open seating, you are doing fixed seating in the open seating dining room.

Most of the people who are upset with AYWD want exactly what you have, the same table at the same time every night. Except with excursions that leave at 7 or 8 in the morning, that's impossible if they aren't in traditional since they aren't around to make the phone calls.

I think it's funny that the people who love Open Seating the most seem to be the ones who get the same thing every night.

I still don't know why people are so opposed to placing a simple phone call during the day to reserve. It was certainly not a bother. :confused:

It's an inconvenience ... particularly so if, as has been reported on this thread, one has to wait on hold on the phone forever to make that reservation. I'd rather not spend an hour in the early morning on the phone waiting to make a reservation for dinner. If I'm up in the early morning I'd rather be eating breakfast ... or out on a shore excursion.

If I ever have Open Seating (and that's what I've got listed in my booking data for the Euordam's July 15th sailing) I'll pick up the phone and try ... and if I can get through without having to sit on hold forever, I'll be find and it won't bother me too much. But ... people like RuthC and others who like to sleep until just before the morning Team Trivia will have to depend upon others in our group to make that reservation!!! :)

By dining at the same table at the same time every night you are not really doing open seating, you are doing fixed seating in the open seating dining room.

Most of the people who are upset with AYWD want exactly what you have, the same table at the same time every night. Except with excursions that leave at 7 or 8 in the morning, that's impossible if they aren't in traditional since they aren't around to make the phone calls.

I think it's funny that the people who love Open Seating the most seem to be the ones who get the same thing every night.

It's also the way that those of us who want Traditional but fear that we won't be able to get it have decided to try and "make the best" of the situation if we are placed in Open Seating. True, it's not "Open Seating" in the sense that one just shows up and sits wherever they put you (like at lunch) ... but if the Cruise Line enables it so that we can make such reservations, we'll keep doing it.

I wonder how those who ADORE the Open Seating idea (for others! hahaha!) but make reservations for themselves would feel about Open Seating if the Line didn't allow them to make their reservations? Give 'em a beeper and make 'em wait up to 45 minutes and then have to eat with people who treat 'em like dirt because they wanted to eat with their own friends and not with strangers and we'd see their tune change.

Though we have two more cruises on the books with HAL, we may jump to Seaborne or some other high end line that can actually accommodate their clients desires for dining without stress or unhappiness.

Crystal is, I think, the only high end cruise line that offers traditional dining. They have a very loyal following.

I wonder how those who ADORE the Open Seating idea (for others! hahaha!) but make reservations for themselves would feel about Open Seating if the Line didn't allow them to make their reservations? Give 'em a beeper and make 'em wait up to 45 minutes and then have to eat with people who treat 'em like dirt because they wanted to eat with their own friends and not with strangers and we'd see their tune change.

Not sure if I qualify to respond as I don't adore Open or Fixed Seating.

I did not make reservations.

We dined at different times, including prime time 7-7:30

We did not wait.

We did not see evidence of any beepers or a line.

No one is forced to share a table.

Mileage will vary.

Sundagger, this is the 1st time I've seen ADA compliance for the hearing-impaired mentioned on these boards. Could you kindly let me know what accommodations they provided and how they worked. I'm especially interested to know whether they have anything that would help in the showroom and at lectures. I have a hearing problem too:o .

I'll start a separate thread for this - I presume there are others who might be interested also.

Not sure if I qualify to respond as I don't adore Open or Fixed Seating.

I did not make reservations.

We dined at different times, including prime time 7-7:30

We did not wait.

We did not see evidence of any beepers or a line.

No one is forced to share a table.

Mileage will vary.

We (A group of eight) went to the dining room on the second night of our Noordam cruise at 7PM without reservations. After about a 20 minute wait we were given a beeper and were beeped about 20 minutes later. It was recommended that we call ahead for a group of our size. I volunteered to call every day and never had a problem getting through and called at different times each day. When I forgot to call we went to the dining room at 8PM and got right in. Actually we never saw a line after that first day. Well actually it was the second day as we ate in the Pinnacle Grill the first day. It wasn't what we wished for, but it wasn't really a problem either.

Bob

There are pros and cons to both. Set seating times are great if you have nice people at your table but if you get stuck with some obnoxious know it all, then open seating can be better. I go as a single and find that I meet more people, and more interesting people by going to open seating. And if I like them, we can always arrange to meet the following night for dinner again, so you can still get to know the same people with open seating if you want to. Only problem is if there are large groups on the ship that go to open seating, then it can become a problem and you may not get to sit with alot of other people every night.

Then you also have Carnival, :eek: whose set seating ends up being open sitting, because so many people are switching constantly because the dining room is so disorganized and the food is so bad, that people tend to get in an uproar and keeping changing their dinner arrangements. :mad:

(Okay, okay, I told everyone never to go Carnival, then at the last minute I got talked into going on one of their cruises, and yes, it was even worse than I envisioned it. ) Back to HAL .........or even Princess..... or even a slow boat to China.........or a tugboat .........or sinking canoe......ANYTHING BUT CARNIVAL. :D I am still having nightmares ....

I'm not unreasonable,

I'm an ordinary man,

Who desires nothing more than an ordinary chance,

to live exactly as he likes, and do precisely what he wants...

An average man am I, of no eccentric whim,

Who likes to live his life, free of strife,

doing whatever he thinks is best, for him,

Well... just an ordinary man...

I'm a very gentle man,

even tempered and good natured

who you never hear complain,

Who has the milk of human kindness

by the quart in every vein,

A patient man am I, down to my fingertips,

the sort who never could, ever would,

let an insulting remark escape his lips

Very gentle man...

I'm a quiet living man,

who prefers to spend the evening at a table set for two,

who likes an atmosphere as restful as

an undiscovered tomb,

A pensive man am I, of philosophical joys,

who likes to meditate, contemplate,

far for humanities mad inhuman noise,

Quiet living man....

Just give me my table for two, upper level at 8 PM and I'll never even raise my voice

I experienced AYW on the Yum Yum cruise.

We settled on 6:45 every night. While we were not able to call in the morning and get that time as promised in docs and in a letter received onboard, we never waited for a table. We had an excellent waiter and requested we sit in his section every night. So basically we had the same waiter every night and had a traditional experience at a convenient time. It varied according to everyone's plans for the evening, but we generally had 6 to 8 people in our group. On the last night, they even had the same waiter for us when there wasn't a table in his section.

Kudos to the staff for doing such a good job pleasing us!

They just need to change that letter and doc notice about reserving in the morning because in reality they would only reserve very early or very late. But again, it was no problem just showing up as a group at our prefered time and being seated immediately.:)

Did not see any decline in Formal wear because most people dressed up as much as they always did......didn't seem to change because of AYW from what I saw.

Hello everybody,

as requested in this thread, my understanding is, that your TA should do the table reservation with HAL – and very well in advance of the sailing date!

Because we booked already last year Spring our up-coming cruise in 3 weeks, please have a look what we received as confirmation :

"" We have changed you to Late Upper seating at 8:15 PM. You have a confirmed table of 6 with your party of 6 only. Holland America "Travel With ID" is ABC ""

So it looks like, that such kind of answer you need, in order to be sure, that you really got a fix table at your desired time and floor level.

And as already mention, I‘m very sure, only a simple mention in your TA answer is not really which one counts later-on in the vessel dining room….

Good luck to everybody,

happy cruising

Anna and Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006