HAL's response to my letter re: AYW dining problems

Sundagger

Some of us wouldn't want to have to set the alarm and get up early just to make that phone call at 8:00 AM.

Is this one of the things a concierge will do for you (that is, can you ask them to put in a standing order that they will call every day at 8:00 AM to reserve your table?). Has that worked for folks (traveling in Deluxe Suites, of course)? What about the telephone concierge -- will they do that as well for the Verandah Suite clientele?

Which leaves the solo diner out of luck.

The bright side is that there are plenty of people who will share.

Solo cruisers do not dine alone unless they choose to do so or occasionally find themselves at a fixed seating table when the rest of the table decided to do something else for dinner.

Some of solo diners dine alone, by choice, in fixed seating, too.

Look around on your next cruise and you will always spot a few that enjoy their own company more than other peoples'.

[quote name='revneal'][I]Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins, just you wait![/I][/quote]

ALFIE:
I'm going cruising in the mornin'!
Ding dong! The bells are gonna chime.
Pull out the stopper!
Let's have a whopper!
But get me to the dock on time!
I got ta be there in the mornin',
Spruced up and lookin' in me prime.
Girls, come and kiss me;
Show how you'll miss me.
But get me to the dock on time!
If I am dancin',
Roll up the floor.
If I am whistlin',
Whewt me out the door!
For I'm going cruising in the mornin'.
Ding dong! The bells are gonna chime.
Kick up a rumpus,
But don't lose the compass,
And get me to the dock...
JAMIE AND HARRY:
Get 'im to the dock...
ALFIE:
For God's sake, get me to the dock on time!

;)

[quote name='Two if by Sea']Is this one of the things a concierge will do for you (that is, can you ask them to put in a standing order that they will call every day at 8:00 AM to reserve your table?).[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]There's no concierge in steerage, however. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I don't get up early at home---I'm certainly not going to get up early on a cruise just to make a phone call. :eek: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='revneal']But ... people like RuthC and others who like to sleep until just before the morning Team Trivia will have to depend upon others in our group to make that reservation!!! :)[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Thank you, Greg. You know I don't do morning very well. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I'm a star---I shine at night! :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hello "Sea Island Lady ",

[COLOR="Teal"]Quote: " " We have changed you to Late Upper seating at 8:15 PM. You have a confirmed table of 6 with your party of 6 only. Holland America "Travel With ID" is ABC " "[/COLOR]

The confirmation mentioned, I received last July. This was the moment where our party grows up to 6..…

Between first cruise booking in April for 4 people, and the July extension to 6, we meanwhile did read a lot about this new AYWD, which one we do not like. :mad:
So because we wanted to be sure, that we are all together during our cruise, and on the so called "Traditional Dining", we asked our TA to reserve for us.;)

Good luck to everybody,

happy cruising

Anna and Gerd

[B]Our marvelous cruises :[/B]

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997
MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001
MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002
MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004
MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004
MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005
MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005
MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006
MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

[COLOR="Red"][B]106 days - 29'683 Nm[/B][/COLOR]

[B]Future Cruise :[/B]

[COLOR="Purple"]=>> MS Volendam, April 1st 2008[/COLOR]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;128/st/20080401/e/MS+Volendam%2C+Panama+Canal/dt/6/k/0b7b/event.png[/img]
[/url]

[quote name='jhannah']And are your teeth like stars ... they come out at night? :D :D[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Wise a$$. :rolleyes: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='JerseyJaguar']By dining at the same table at the same time every night you are not really doing open seating, you are doing fixed seating in the open seating dining room.

Most of the people who are upset with AYWD want exactly what you have, the same table at the same time every night. Except with excursions that leave at 7 or 8 in the morning, that's impossible if they aren't in traditional since they aren't around to make the phone calls.

I think it's funny that the people who love Open Seating the most seem to be the ones who get the same thing every night.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]We didn't want Open Seating. Our TA, a personal friend, [I]assumed[/I] that was what we wanted because when we sailed with them on Princess, we had Anytime Dining. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And, by the time I rec'd the paperwork from him, it was too late to change it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]So I made the best of the situation and, you're right...we did Fixed Seating in the Open Seating dining room! [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Sort of like making lemons into lemonade![/FONT] ;)

[quote name='Sundagger']I'll start a separate thread for this - I presume there are others who might be interested also.[/quote]

[B]Oh please do! No one has ever mentioned the topic of hearing loss on this board - at least not that I've seen.[/B]

[B]Thank you Sundagger:) .[/B]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Thanks for the suggestions. We will certainly check-in with the dining room before heading to the Lido. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Some folks don't mind the choice of calling for a reservation or facing a possible wait at the dining room without a reservation--good for them. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Some folks like the AYWD option, good for them, too! [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Not getting traditional dining is disappointment enough. HAL should not inconvenience us any further. The cost of a cruise should not include making us to do the same things we can do at home, ie., calling to make reservations or waiting for a table. Just my opinion. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Archived