Question about Euro's?

I am traveling to Europe in November for a cruise and I was wondering how much money would be adequate to take in Euro's? I have several tours planned I am pretty sure they take credit cards so would I be better off to pay for my excursions in Euro's or on a credit card? Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I think your best bet is to use an ATM card and withdraw money, in euros, once you are in Europe. You can withdraw funds as you need. Using a credit card in Europe will not give you favorable rates. Taking large sums of $$$ with you is totally unnecessary. ATM's are easy to find, easy to use and the daily rates are favorable......Marty

Like martyap suggested~ ~ ~ ~initially we brought 300 E's with us from the US and withdrew from the ATM's daily what we needed for expenses that day. Used the visa only when we wanted to charge items or events~ ~ ~mainly used euros. ;)

pay for my excursions in Euro's or on a credit card? Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

What the other posters said if you are booking independent excursions. If you are booking on the ship, it is done in USD.

You will have to check with your financial institutions to see whether charging with your credit card is a better deal than withdrawing euros from an ATM with your debit card. Some banks charge $2 to $5 per transaction for ATM withdrawals. Comparisons are available here: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

I am traveling to Europe in November for a cruise and I was wondering how much money would be adequate to take in Euro's? I have several tours planned I am pretty sure they take credit cards so would I be better off to pay for my excursions in Euro's or on a credit card? Any advice or help would be appreciated.

All of our tours we have reserved want Euro cash as payment. So make sure yours takes a credit card. We are getting a large sum of Euros from our bank before we go. There are six of us, and with the cost of the tours, lunches, etc. I am not sure we could get out enough money from our ATM each day. I need to call my bank again and ask if the daily amount can be more. I asked one girl at my branch.... she knew nothing. lol

missty

All of our tours we have reserved want Euro cash as payment. So make sure yours takes a credit card. We are getting a large sum of Euros from our bank before we go. There are six of us, and with the cost of the tours, lunches, etc. I am not sure we could get out enough money from our ATM each day. I need to call my bank again and ask if the daily amount can be more. I asked one girl at my branch.... she knew nothing. lol

missty

Becareful with the extra limit. I've read a lot of people get higher limits before leaving home, but it's dependent on the ATM that they use, not their home daily limits.

Becareful with the extra limit. I've read a lot of people get higher limits before leaving home, but it's dependent on the ATM that they use, not their home daily limits.

Ah, yes so true. Thank you. OK, I think it will just be easier for us to get our majority of Euro money here at home. And give me peace of mind... wondering how or where I am going to get extra euro cash.

Missty

We usually take ATM's from two different banks so limits were never a problem. Every bank has different fee schedules. One bank I use gives me 6 free ATM transactions per month, including foreign ATM's. I would never consider carrying huge sums of euros from the USA. Also, be careful with credit card usage. Some establishments will take your bill in euros and convert it at the point of purchase to US$ using inflated rates. You are better off when your credit card company does the conversion on your statement. We had no problem getting enough cash for all our private tours using ATM's in Istanbul, Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Florence, Monte Carlo and Dubrovnik.......Marty

Hi,

Most places take card, not all. You can take out euro at ATMs but they charge a fee & so do most banks. They may also charge a transaction fee. You can always get Euro from banks & exchange places, even on the boat... but you will not get the best rate & it is about $1.54 for a euro right now & it just keeps getting worse & worse.

Many places do not take travelers checks either, my in-laws brought them for some strange reason & we had to go on base. We live in Germany we actually get a better rate off of base than on-base at ATMs. There are several restaurants & stores that do not takes credit cards here. Another problem that I have had is that many places print your entire credit card number on all receipts. I bought clothes at a HRC in Roma and the bag was stolen & stupid me had my receipt inside. I called my bank that night but had to wait for my card to get here.

I would definitely bring some Euro to have on hand, but also use ATMs. In Italy, some other coutries too, make sure the ATM does not take your card. People put a plastic device on the card reader that keeps your card and they steal it. Try to go into a bank to go to the ATM, rather than one in the street.

missty

Hi Missty,

Our situation exactly! Family of 6, private tours planned, difficult to obtain enough Euros on a daily basis to cover everything. So I will use Capital One credit card for pre cruise hotel and restaurants and one of the tours I know will take CC's. For the rest of the trip, yes we will take enough Euros to get thru the tours, all counted out before hand and earmarked for the specific tour. I plan to fund an account with $$ and use ATM's when needed. I will be taking US dollars with us as well to exchange on the ship. All this may sound too complicated to most posters but then again they may only be 2 or 3 people who don't use tours or use cruise ship tours. For example, each time we are in port and have a cash only private tour booked it will cost 550 Euro plus lunch and some private guides! At least 1000 to 1100 euros right there! So I am at or maybe even above (who the heck knows) the daily ATM limit. We could use 2 cards, 2 different ATM's but then I might need to have 2 banks. It is hard to get a straight answer from the bank as you found out. That means funding 2 accounts back home, etc etc etc. In our case carrying the cash is probably the best solution. DH has a waist wallet that I will also pin to his waistband as well as snap and I have an over the shoulder flat to stomach bag that also goes around my waist and is very comfortable and I will also use a sturdy safety pin to pin it to my waistband. Cash will be left in the cabin safe, no problem but as we are staying in a hotel-like apartment pre cruise I am sure that I won't be comfortable leaving cash in that safe. Only 6 apartment units in the building. So I don't think so. Eldest DD and DH will carry a portion of the cash as well. It takes planning and to say just use an ATM will not work for our size families. BTW, since the euro exchange is lousy and the land portions are so expensive anyway, who cares about a few % charges by the CC company? We all know that we will be spending much much more than bargained for this year anyway!:rolleyes:

I am on Brialliance May 19th. My question to anyone who might know.

When tipping on the cruise, outside of the normal gratuties, such as tipping room service or a bar tender. Should I tip in Euros or will dollars work?

Thanks

LennyPoo

Thanks

Make sure your credit card knows you are travelling and that you may need larger than usual amounts in places you have not been before. Security.

missty

We too took a lot of cash euros. We had 6 private tours, 3 transfers, and a hotel where we got a 10% discount by paying cash. We did not want to spend time looking for ATMs or hold up our group.

Hi Missty,

Our situation exactly! Family of 6, private tours planned, difficult to obtain enough Euros on a daily basis to cover everything. So I will use Capital One credit card for pre cruise hotel and restaurants and one of the tours I know will take CC's. For the rest of the trip, yes we will take enough Euros to get thru the tours, all counted out before hand and earmarked for the specific tour. I plan to fund an account with $$ and use ATM's when needed. I will be taking US dollars with us as well to exchange on the ship. All this may sound too complicated to most posters but then again they may only be 2 or 3 people who don't use tours or use cruise ship tours. For example, each time we are in port and have a cash only private tour booked it will cost 550 Euro plus lunch and some private guides! At least 1000 to 1100 euros right there! So I am at or maybe even above (who the heck knows) the daily ATM limit. We could use 2 cards, 2 different ATM's but then I might need to have 2 banks. It is hard to get a straight answer from the bank as you found out. That means funding 2 accounts back home, etc etc etc. In our case carrying the cash is probably the best solution. DH has a waist wallet that I will also pin to his waistband as well as snap and I have an over the shoulder flat to stomach bag that also goes around my waist and is very comfortable and I will also use a sturdy safety pin to pin it to my waistband. Cash will be left in the cabin safe, no problem but as we are staying in a hotel-like apartment pre cruise I am sure that I won't be comfortable leaving cash in that safe. Only 6 apartment units in the building. So I don't think so. Eldest DD and DH will carry a portion of the cash as well. It takes planning and to say just use an ATM will not work for our size families. BTW, since the euro exchange is lousy and the land portions are so expensive anyway, who cares about a few % charges by the CC company? We all know that we will be spending much much more than bargained for this year anyway!

Addicted - Amen to all of it. We are doing the EXACT same thing. I think it will work out best for all of us and not have the worry or the headache! Now, if only May would get here!

missty[/color]

On the ship I plan to tip in dollars, but maybe someone else knows.

My bank charges fees for each withdrawel in Europe. Last time I was there I figured it would cost too much, so I exchanged all my money at home at an American Express travel office. There was a one time fee of $40 (for any amount), I exchanged $5000 at the time. Many ATMs in europe allow only 250 euros at a time. Many you can go back in and get another 250 right away, but then more fees again. This did not work for me. Others like it.

I carryed the euro's in my money belt on the plane and over there, put it in the hotel safe. I did not take a cruise that time. I plan on doing the same this time.

I am on Brialliance May 19th. My question to anyone who might know.

When tipping on the cruise, outside of the normal gratuties, such as tipping room service or a bar tender. Should I tip in Euros or will dollars work?

Thanks

LennyPoo

I would think either would be fine, but it would be easier for them to spend the Euros since their ship will be in Europe for a while. Remember, too, that the one Euro is worth a lot more than one dollar.;)

browneyes7:)

This morning a reporter from CNN took a 100 dollar bill and exchanged it in Berlin.

He got for that 55 euros.

That was for cash.

I hate to see the charge for ATM machines and %.

Europe is becoming very expensive.

Many of the tour companies that I have researched do not take credit cards, but they do take personal checks!

DJ127

Also, my guides do take traveler's checks, so I will get those before I go, and set them aside just for the tours.

This morning a reporter from CNN took a 100 dollar bill and exchanged it in Berlin.

He got for that 55 euros.

That was for cash.

I hate to see the charge for ATM machines and %.

Europe is becoming very expensive.

The reporter paid $1.8182/€. With the current interbank exchange rate of $1.5345, that reporter's exchange was marked up by 18.5%! That is a record in my experience, beating the previous record of 16.5% that I was quoted at Heathrow airport.

Typical ATM debit card rates have a mark up of 0% to 3% ($1.5345/€ to $1.5805/€) and a withdrawal fee of $0 to $5. Withdraw a large amount to minimize the withdrawal fee, and ATM's are the way to go.

My bank charges fees for each withdrawel in Europe. Last time I was there I figured it would cost too much, so I exchanged all my money at home at an American Express travel office. There was a one time fee of $40 (for any amount), I exchanged $5000 at the time. Many ATMs in europe allow only 250 euros at a time. Many you can go back in and get another 250 right away, but then more fees again. This did not work for me. Others like it.

I carryed the euro's in my money belt on the plane and over there, put it in the hotel safe. I did not take a cruise that time. I plan on doing the same this time.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of conversion are you getting from American Express? Locally I can exchange dollars for euro for a $5 fee, but the conversion is currently 1.64 instead of the 1.53 interbank rate I would get for ATM withdrawls. $110 per thousand is a bit too high for me, even with the low $5 fee.

Don't you guys have an decent exchange places in your City? I can walk across the street from work and pay $1.55. These rates that you're posting are insane. Surely some of the larger cities must have decent currency exchange places.

LOL! I do live in a rather large (and tourist-infested) city!! And you'd be surprised how few exchange places there are here... well, let me rephrase that... they are happy to BUY your Euro at a crappy exchange rate, but they don't want to sell you any. I keep threatening to park myself in Florida Mall next to the exchange booth and walk up to everyone approaching them saying... they want to give you 1.30 to the Euro, I'll give you 1.35!! LOL!

Archived